Spyder Garage

Default Frunk-release switch

Hello Everyone,
    The blue light on the optional frunk switch is maddening!
    All the other dash lights on my 2014 RTL are orange ..... would it have been so hard for the design guys to have this changed?

Has anyone devised a solution for replacing the blue led with an orange led?
    If not, I'll make it a winter project.
    J

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

They probably made it blue so that you wouldn't confuse it with one of the other switches. They used to be orange and some idiot turned off her parking brake instead of opening her front trunk.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Be happy with your switch. I tried to order one for mine and I was told they are no longer available.

Heck, I would have taken a green one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ha! I gave up months ago trying to find an orange OEM switch.
    My plan is to cut open the blue switch and replace the led. I figure the hardest part will be in locating an led in the correct form factor AND the correct shade of orange. Anyone else shop at DigiKey? This kind of work is "right up my alley"! Heck, the worst I can do is trash a $99 switch.

I don't want to "reinvent the wheel" if someone has already gone thru the motions.
    j
    Last edited by Root; 08-11-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Ha! I gave up months ago trying to find an orange OEM switch.
    My plan is to cut open the blue switch and replace the led. I figure the hardest part will be in locating an led in the correct correct form factor AND the correct shade of orange. Anyone else shop at DigiKey? This kind of work is "right up my alley"! Heck, the worst I can do is trash a $99 switch.

I don't want to "reinvent the wheel" if someone has already gone thru the motions.
    j
    I think I have a damaged switch laying around, if you want to tear into it and become familiar with it before diving into a new $99 one. Its not a trunk release switch but it is an OEM switch and I'd imagine they will be similar.
    PM me your contact info and I can find it I will send it your way if you want it...
    Doug

Spyder Garage

Hi Doug,
    Thanks for the offer. Once the Spyder is packed away for the winter, I'll tackle this problem.
    I have not yet looked at the switch, but will guess that it is self-contained and ultrasonically welded; nothing is easy ....... story of my life!
    J

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Doug,
    Thanks for the offer. Once the Spyder is packed away for the winter, I'll tackle this problem.
    I have not yet looked at the switch, but will guess that it is self-contained and ultrasonically welded; nothing is easy ....... story of my life!
    J
    I have no clue. I bought a set of switches used because I wanted the fog light switch. Never used or looked at any of them all that close. Just remember that one of them doesn't work.
    Keep me posted if you want it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hello Everyone,
    The blue light on the optional frunk switch is maddening!
    All the other dash lights on my 2014 RTL are orange ..... would it have been so hard for the design guys to have this changed?

Has anyone devised a solution for replacing the blue led with an orange led?
    If not, I'll make it a winter project.
    J
    Duck tape over the light. Problem fixed!!

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk-release switch

Hi, I know this is an older thread but I believe that the spyder uses a carling (or at least carling style) switch. Www.OTRATTW.net has these switches at a good price and can make custom order rockers as well. I think his prices are between $12-$20 per switch, awesome customer service too!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tlauden; 09-04-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: correction
    Currently Spyder-less, BUT,
    Saving my pennies for a RT with the SM6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tlauden View Post
    Hi, I know this is an older thread but I believe that the spyder uses a carling (or at least carling style) switch. OTRATTW.com has these switches at a good price and can make custom order rockers as well. I think his prices are between $12-$20 per switch, awesome customer service too!!!!

Good find!
    Some of those swoitches are only $4 too!

http://www.otrattw.net/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Bookmarked....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I was going to say that the switches had to have sources other than BRP!! Thanks for the find!
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Your welcome, I've done business with these folks. I highly recommend calling them to place orders, I know I've said it already but the customer service is absolutely amazing here. Super fast shipping too!!!!

Currently Spyder-less, BUT,
    Saving my pennies for a RT with the SM6