Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Steve now tells me I've been moved to a "superior customer care rep"

Guess they are watching this thread and messing with people.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Brp only tells me my me my situation is different because I bought my own panels back in April and that they are trying to figure out how to pay me back...I'm guessing they don't use checks in Canada?

Lol
    That sounds uninformed on their part or there has been a policy change because I did the same thing. I bought them before the bulletin was released regarding BRP replacing them . ( it was only a couple of weeks before though but technically they hadn't announced anything yet ) After I heard about the bulletin I called BRP Customer Care and they gave me a case number and called my dealer to follow up ( that took a few days but they did it ). Then I went to the dealer that I bought them from and he credited my credit card. Did you contact BRP about the heat issue before you purchased the panels? If so, then our situations are very similar and it makes me wonder if there was a policy change or the person you are corresponding with is uniformed.
    Last edited by golfsferr; 10-15-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by golfsferr View Post
    That sounds uninformed on their part or there has been a policy change because I did the same thing. I bought them before the bulletin was released regarding BRP replacing them . ( it was only a couple of weeks before though but technically they hadn't announced anything yet ) After I heard about the bulletin I called BRP Customer Care and they gave me a case number and called my dealer to follow up ( that took a few days but they did it ). Then I went to the dealer that I bought them from and he credited my credit card. Did you contact BRP about the heat issue before you purchased the panels? If so, then our situations are very similar and it makes me wonder if there was a policy change or the person you are corresponding with is uniformed.
    Technically, there is no bulletin but I did the same thing, ordered my panels first but didn't pay for them, Steve at BRP handled the whole thing and moved the case to a supervisor, got my case number and contacted my dealership after a few days, the dealership then called me to make an appointment to put the new panels on the bike under warranty, my dealership is a platinum dealer and has replaced all of his customers panels by simply asking for them, no contact with BRP was required using my case number as everyone's claim.

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited
    2009 GS , Iridium Plugs Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffsm69 View Post
    Technically, there is no bulletin but I did the same thing, ordered my panels first but didn't pay for them, Steve at BRP handled the whole thing and moved the case to a supervisor, got my case number and contacted my dealership after a few days, the dealership then called me to make an appointment to put the new panels on the bike under warranty, my dealership is a platinum dealer and has replaced all of his customers panels by simply asking for them, no contact with BRP was required using my case number as everyone's claim.
    I just remembered you mentioning a bulletin before. Actually it was a lot of your informative posts that propelled me to follow up and get-r-done!

Spyder Garage

I just remembered you mentioning a bulletin before. Actually it was a lot of your informative posts that propelled me to follow up and get-r-done!
    You're very welcome, I just hope everyone else gets their panels too, it all comes down to your dealer and how much they're willing to help, the information is there for everyone to get them and BRP is doing their best to help out ST owners and even some RS owners at my dealership, but I don't expect them to issue a recall, the company line is handle on a case by case basis, it comes down to money and if an owner isn't willing to fight for them or doesn't have a heat issue, there's no need to replace them

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited
    2009 GS , Iridium Plugs Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here is a response to my inquiry, no doubt don't give a **** about the rest of the world.

Hello Steven, thank you for contacting BRP,

In response to your request, we would kindly invite you to contact your local dealership for all technical, warranty, pricing or promotions questions, they will be the best to answer this request.

Your dealer will be able to contact the warranty and the service department to see if these types of issues can be covered under warranty, claimed under a recall or judge if it is considered as manufacturing defect.

Some pictures or parts may have to be sent; therefore, the dealer will be able to provide them to the technical service.

The dealers have a direct line with the warranty and the service department and will be able to call on your behalf.

Please keep in mind that this line is reserved for the dealership.

Thank you for contacting BRP

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffsm69 View Post

I bought and installed my own panels. Perhaps that is the difference.

And I've had a case number for almost 2 months now.

I think part of the problem here is that they got my dealer involved...and perhaps feel like they have to compensate them in some way as well?

I neither bought my panels from my dealer, nor had them install them...so have no idea why they are even involved.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mstella101 View Post
    After feeling(OUCH) then hearing and reading all of the heat problems of the ST-S I too sent BRP an email yesterday. After riding this summer my '13 sure feels hotter than it ever has! Lets see how long it takes to get a response. BTW -did all of you who contacted BRP send your emails to the complaint dept.?
    Brp.care@brp.com

Spyder Garage

I bought and installed my own panels. Perhaps that is the difference.

And I've had a case number for almost 2 months now.

I think part of the problem here is that they got my dealer involved...and perhaps feel like they have to compensate them in some way as well?

I neither bought my panels from my dealer, nor had them install them...so have no idea why they are even involved.
    I installed my panels also but I did order through my dealer and like I said, only weeks before the $h!+ hit the fan. I waited as long as I did because I was hoping BRP would offer them in the 2013 colors, Magnesium in particular. When Lamont posted the part numbers for my color is when I pulled the trigger.

Regarding who I contacted, I called BRP customer Care, emailed BRP customer Care and emailed Steve at BRP. My final call to BRP customer Care is when I got the case number.

It sounds like your dealer is not pushing hard enough for you. Certainly sounds like the dealers have the power to make it happen.
    Snoopy, the problem may also be what you paid versus what they are charging for them now. They probably don't want to have to pay so much more than what they'll get credit for.
    At any rate I hope it works out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoLmtz View Post
    Would you mind sharing your letter? I'm dealing with BRP Care at the first step of the process to do the same. In conjunction with the new NTHS investigation I'm hoping to get some new panels myself!

Thanks,
    Jon
    Please share your correspondence with us! I'm still under factory warranty and would like to take advantage of it. Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwan57 View Post
    Please share your correspondence with us! I'm still under factory warranty and would like to take advantage of it. Thank you!
    Here is my letter:

Subject: CanAm Spyder ST-L Case #### (per your BPR Customer Rep, while this is not the case # associated with my heat problems it will link you to my interactions with BRP and my Service Department).

My history with my bike follows.
    I made arrangements in June, 2013 to fly into Dallas, to purchase my 2013 ST-L from Louis Powersports in Greenville, TX. I then spent 6 days on the road before returning home to Cloudcroft, NM. Whenever I stopped noticed extreme heat rising from my bike and, when riding, extreme heat on my inner leg above the ankle and above the knee on the left side, to the point I had to ride without my leg touching the bike. Every evening when I got off my bike for the night my leg had red, blotchy burn marks from the extreme heat. When I stopped in Santa Fe to visit friends, they were appalled at the heat coming off the bike. Both of them actually had to back off from the bike, even though it was a chilly night. They are both avid motorcycle riders and he has a 2013 KTM Adventure which uses the same engine as my Spyder. He asked what was wrong with my Spyder and how I was riding it being as hot as it was.
    By the way, I had my 600 mile service done in Albuquerque, NM on my initial trip with my 2013 ST-L. Even though I had an appt. with them I had to wait for hours, both my husband and I were unimpressed with your Albuquerque, NM Service Department staff do not believe they checked the coolant reservoir during the Service. We are curious if they even did anything except check off the boxes. We looked into their service bay often and did not see my bike being serviced one time.
    1. After I returned home, approximately June 18th, I called my salesman in Greenville, TX concerning the heat I was experiencing. He told me he had heard of no problems with heat on the 2013 ST's. I also called BRP Customer Service several times, one gentleman I spoke with very rudely suggested I wear proper riding gear. I informed him that as a former ATV Safety Instructor I wear ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME. I was frustrated because the heat coming off my bike is obviously NOT caused by my riding gear. It is a poor design with lack of air flow in the engine compartment and the left side exhaust pipe being too close to the panels and not properly heat shielded.
    2. My local dealer is in Las Cruces, NM (2 hours from my home) so I called and spoke with the Service Manager. He also said he knew of no problems with heat on the ST's and suggested I come in so they could check out the bike.
    3. A week or so later I was in Las Cruces and stopped in to introduce myself and have the Service Manager touch the panels on the left side of the bike, he was shocked at the heat on the panels. He made an appointment to have me come in so they could check out the bike as he said there was definitely something wrong after touching the left-side panels and seeing my red, blotchy burned leg.
    4. July 26, 1013 - During a thorough inspection they found an overheat error code and further examination revealed the coolant was almost totally empty. They thought there must be a leak since I had the 600 service done in Albuquerque in June, only days after I purchased my Spyder. They found no leak so flushed and refilled the reservoir with coolant (Engine Ice). We thought the problem solved. Unfortunately, within a few days the bike was back to being so hot that I, once again, had to ride with my leg not touching the side. As a matter of fact the panels were so hot that I could not touch them or the screws securing them, with my hand or put my leg on them when riding.
    5. The next time I was in Las Cruces, I stopped in and had the Service Manager touch the bike panels and, once again, he was amazed as he had thought we had solved the problem. He asked me to make an appointment to bring it back for further examination. The Service Manager also asked me to call the BRP Technical Line and, although they asked I not call them again directly, they said I should take it back in to the Service Department. I am sure you have record of that call as I asked the gentleman I spoke with to make record of our conversation. He was extremely personable, friendly and helpful.
    6. August 13, 2013 this time I left the bike with Las Cruces Motorsports for a few days. Although they could find nothing wrong the Service Manager told me that with the kind of heat I was experiencing the engine components were going to start being affected. Their technicians installed some heat shield on the right and left side on my bike, hoping it would help. They have gone out of their way to help me at all times and are a real credit to your company.
    7. I brought my bike home and, because I was still experiencing the extreme heat on the panels. I installed extra shielding on the left side panels and screws, as well as the oil reservoir and tubing coming from it; wrapped/siliconed and tent shielded the exhaust; and shielded the front and sides of the gas tank because it was so hot I was afraid the gas would burn me or explode when I opened the gas tank. Also added some heat shielding to the right side of the bike. After I did all this I noticed extreme heat coming from under the seat so I used heat shielding to close off any openings; also, because of the extreme heat on my left leg above the ankle my husband built and attached a deflector in an attempt to deflect the hot air away from my lower leg. All of this has cost me much time, effort and $300-$400 for materials, along with the time and gas it is costing me to drive the repeated 2 hour, 1 way trips back and forth to my dealer.
    The deflector my husband made is no longer working and I now have to ride with a pot holder strapped to my leg so I don't get burnt. I have attached some pictures of the heat shielding I have added on the left side. If you need pictures of the shielding I've added to the right let me know and I'll remove the panels and send them.
    8. September 5th, 2013 - I took my bike in for the recall to add heat shielding to the area around the Master Cylinder. The fact that this had to be done says you're technical department is aware of the heat problem. They also developed the new Air Flow Panels for the 2014 ST's - which tells me they have come up with a fix for a problem they know exists on the 2013's
    9. January 18th, 2014 - I took my bike for the Jan 23, 2014 Campaign 2013-0015 and 0016. The updating of the ECM Software temporarily, and slightly, lowered my engine temperature from 5 bars to 4. As of 2 weeks ago it is back to a consistent 5 bars once the engine is warm.
    10. After all of the above, the side panels are still extremely hot and although (because of the shielding I have added) I am not having to wear a pot holder on my upper leg anymore, I still have to ride with my leg away from the panel within 20 minutes of beginning my ride because the panels are so uncomfortably hot. This is a danger to me and those I am riding around. I am still having to wear a large thermal pot holder on my lower leg to keep from getting burned. I wear BRP Caliber Riding Pants, boots, jacket, gloves and helmet - I am properly geared up.
    11. On April 10th, 2014 I rode approximately 45 miles on my bike. On the way home I realized my butt was getting warm, to the point of being uncomfortable. This is something new, it has never happened before. As a matter of fact, I just completed a 1200 mile round trip ride two weeks ago, with my sheep skin cover on, and did not experience a hot seat at all. Anyway, when I got home I checked the top of my sheep skin. Because it was warm to the touch I placed my hand underneath to check the seat, it was even warmer than the sheepskin cover so I lifted the seat and was hit with a wave of heat. I noted the plastics under the seat, to include the gas cap, were hot to the touch. I went into the house and got my temperature gun to take a reading of the plastic under my seat (150.5 F) and on the side of my bike (183 F), and this was after my bike had sat for 5 minutes while I went in the house to find my temperature gun. I have attached photographs of these heat readings.

To reiterate, the above stated problems are caused by extreme heat trapped inside the engine compartment, due to the lack of airflow. I'm really concerned that, as I was told by the Service Department at Las Cruces Motorsports, the engine components are going to start failing because of the extreme heat that has no way to escape. I've done everything I can with no success,
    My contact at Las Cruces Motorsports is Zach Brusueles, Service Writer. His number is 575-524-3626, ask to be connected to the Service Department. Mr. Brusueles is more than willing to speak with you concerning our efforts. I desperately need your assistance with this. Any help you could give me will be deeply appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you soon. My phone number is ###
    Thank you so very much
    Jacque Tanis
    2013 ST Limited
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I installed my panels also but I did order through my dealer and like I said, only weeks before the $h!+ hit the fan. I waited as long as I did because I was hoping BRP would offer them in the 2013 colors, Magnesium in particular. When Lamont posted the part numbers for my color is when I pulled the trigger.

Regarding who I contacted, I called BRP customer Care, emailed BRP customer Care and emailed Steve at BRP. My final call to BRP customer Care is when I got the case number.

It sounds like your dealer is not pushing hard enough for you. Certainly sounds like the dealers have the power to make it happen.
    Snoopy, the problem may also be what you paid versus what they are charging for them now. They probably don't want to have to pay so much more than what they'll get credit for.
    At any rate I hope it works out.

BRP tells me now that my dealer should have my full refund (parts and shipping) next week.

Let's see....

Spyder Garage

BRP tells me now that my dealer should have my full refund (parts and shipping) next week.

Let's see....

Fantastic! Hey, there's a Grand you can spend on something else for your .....

Spyder Garage

$790

Spyder Garage

$790
    Seems like I remember someone showing a parts list that was near a grand but none the less still a good chunk of change! Sounds like the price was all over the place, I paid around $630.
    i just hope they come through for you!

Spyder Garage

Seems like I remember someone showing a parts list that was near a grand but none the less still a good chunk of change! Sounds like the price was all over the place, I paid around $630.
    i just hope they come through for you!

Local dealer wanted $1100...I got them online for just over $700...plus shipping.

This was before they put the "package" together for a little cheaper.

Spyder Garage

About to go to Florida for 2 weeks, it would be nice to get that money beforehand.

Spyder Garage

Let's see....

Well the the end of the work week is closing fast and my dealer hasn't heard anything from BRP who said my refund would happen this week, losing faint again.

This is stuff gets old, been over 2 months now.

Spyder Garage

Well the the end of the work week is closing fast and my dealer hasn't heard anything from BRP who said my refund would happen this week, losing faint again.

This is stuff gets old, been over 2 months now.

Good luck! It's always harder to get the money back than get the free panels. I hope it turns out well for you and everyone else who paid up front.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Supernam View Post
    Good luck! It's always harder to get the money back than get the free panels. I hope it turns out well for you and everyone else who paid up front.

On on the good side, I rode all summer w no overly excessive heat.

Spyder Garage

Oh my gosh!

Received my check today for total cost of my panels and shipping!

BRP stepped up to the plate and hit a home run.

Took 2 and a half months, but who's counting.

Spyder Garage

I went for a nice ride Saturday and Sunday and so far I'm loving my no side panels! They look good, seem to provide better air flow over the engine and also block some air from hitting my legs. Now I need to try them in 90 degree weather...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 02-02-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

20141028_093556.jpg20141028_093633.jpg
    Does this look like I have the heating issue.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Had mine installed last week (Side Panels) rode saturday 89 degrees and seems like a slight differance at foot but gas still trying to boil so guess it's a start.... See next summer but I'M thinking not. Fumes still there has to set out till they clear though.