SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Okay; you got some 20 inchers...
    What TIRES did you put on them??
    HEY Hi it's good old Bacon BOB
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much for replying. I appreciate the details. I will follow your suggestions. Safe week!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    As I tried to explain at length in the ABS/VSS Fault Codes thread Uniekstylz, increasing the rears from 225/55R15 to 225/60R15 is NOWHERE NEAR enough of a size increase to match the tire rolling diameter increase of the tires you've installed up front!! Those 225/35R20's are MORE THAN FOUR AND ONE HALF INCHES TALLER THAN THE STOCK OE Spec Fronts, (yes, that IS more than 4 & 1/2 inches!! ) while you've increased the rolling diameter at the rear by maybe something a touch less than ONE INCH ( - 1 inch!!) There's NO WAY that the Nanny will handle a variation THAT BIG without extra help/re-programming . And I wouldn't head down that path lightly for a number of fairly expensive & potentially difficult to enact reasons!!

Given the WIDTH of the fronts you've chosen, I sincerely doubt that even dropping your front tire profile back to 30 will make any significant difference; and I also doubt you'll be able to fit any tire that's too much taller on the rear without causing some 'scrubbing the wheel arch' problems, altho going to a slightly narrower but taller profile tire like a 215/65R15 might give you maybe as much as 1/2 an inch extra rolling diameter back there, and that size tire has been known to fit & work OK on a 'lightly loaded' Spyder... But it's still NOWHERE NEAR a big enough increase to match the rolling dia of fronts that are 225 wide on 20" rims regardless of their profile!!

The Nanny is one of the best out there, and she easily manages the 'approx 2" difference' between the OE Spec Front & Rear tires in their standard sizes because she's been programmed to expect & manage that; she can even manage some minor size increases/variations over those OE sizes/the proportional relationship front to rear, just so long as you keep the proportional increase between the fronts and the rears reasonably similar.... BUT according to my sources at Bosch, she can only manage a MAXIMUM variation from stock of 'approx 40mm' - ie 1.57"- and that's NOT 4.5+ inches!!

So given the rear tire sizes you are limited to without extending the swing arms/enlarging the space available back there, without any guarantees, I reckon you MIGHT get away with running something like a 165/35R20 up front (IF you can find any to fit/try) but anything much wider on a 20" rim is just going to be TOO BIG and TOO MUCH of a variation from stock for the Nanny to handle in her current format/without modifying your her &/or Spyder....

Sorry, but put as clearly as I can, I'm reasonably sure that 225/ANY PROFILE Tires on 20" rims will be TOO MUCH for your Spyder to handle in OE condition!
    Thank you for the info, I appreciate the details. I will follow your suggestion. Back to OE, it is. lol