Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Limp mode after new 2 front wheels put on

Hey everyone, seeing if someone can help me out here.. I just put 2 new front wheels on my 2011 rss Spyder, they are 20" and after riding around the block limp mode came on as well as all the other lights.. There are the codes that came on

P099
    C0049
    P0706

tried disconnecting the battery and codes go away just to come back.. Anyone know why this is? With replacing the wheels and putting bigger ones on.. Don't understand it

Spyder Garage

Was there a change in diameter / roll out distance. Was the front end lifted.

Posibly the computer is comparing the front to the rear and there is a difference outside of the limits.

If the chassis angle is altered, maybe the stability control is confused.

PK

Spyder Garage

I think the tires are to big .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Didn't lift the front end..

The tires are already rubber bands so don't think I can go lower in tires.

A buddy has 20"s on his '08 and didn't have any problems

Spyder Garage

Default Odd..!!

first code I can't find..the others refer to brake sensor and gear indicator. Niether one has to do with your wheels. Check to see that the sensors were not moved or damaged fluids are full and gear senor wires are not damaged. Not sure what works has been done so hard to say...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If the outer diameter of the new tires is enough larger than the old ones, the rpm of the wheels will be enough different that it will upset the nanny. Did you disconnect the sensors for the wheels? That's the little buttons by the slotted rotors. I don't have a code list handy, but that's the most likely thing.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    If the outer diameter of the new tires is enough larger than the old ones, the rpm of the wheels will be enough different that it will upset the nanny. Did you disconnect the sensors for the wheels? That's the little buttons by the slotted rotors. I don't have a code list handy, but that's the most likely thing.

john
    where would the sensor be or what does it look like? Only thing I found to disconnect was the wire for turn signal that was on the fender

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

image.jpg

This is the only thing I unplugged.. And only thing I see to be plugged on the wheel

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay; you got some 20 inchers...
    What TIRES did you put on them??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Okay; you got some 20 inchers...
    What TIRES did you put on them??
    235/30/20

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dakidezain View Post
    235/30/20
    13.84% bigger diameter than 165/65/14 !!! won't work.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There's people here who have 20" on them and they work.. So that can't be true.. Look up butler tire, they put 20" on spyders

Spyder Garage

Default Abs

NOT SURE ABOUT OUR SPYD3R's, BUT IF YOU PUT DIFFERENT SIZE TIRES, DIAMETER SIZE, ON A CAR WITH 'ABS' BRAKES, THE RPM's NOW ARE REDUCED TO A SLOWER SPEED AND THE COMPUTER DOESN'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON AND WILL GIVE YOU A 'FAULT' CODE.... THE FRONT AND BACK WHEELS ARE CALIBRATED TO TURN SO MANY RPM's, AND ONCE THAT CHANGES, ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE....

IF THIS IS FACT CORRECT AND YOU WANT TO KEEP THOSE WHEELS/TIRES ON YOUR SPYD3R... YOU'LL NEED TO GET THE COMPUTER RECALIBRATED FOR THAT COMBINATION... YOU'D BEST CHECK THIS WITH YOUR LOCAL SPYD3R DEALER 1st...
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2021 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Fixed color display

Spyder Garage

Default wheel speed sensors

Hey everyone, seeing if someone can help me out here.. I just put 2 new front wheels on my 2011 rss Spyder, they are 20" and after riding around the block limp mode came on as well as all the other lights.. There are the codes that came on

P099
    C0049
    P0706

tried disconnecting the battery and codes go away just to come back.. Anyone know why this is? With replacing the wheels and putting bigger ones on.. Don't understand it
    Wheel speed sensors Unpluged or out of adjustment are possible causes.........

freebob

Spyder Garage

P099
    C0049
    P0706

Did you change the outside diameter of the tire and is the front of Spyder higher or lower than stock?

C0049 is a brake fluid level problem
    P0706 gear change sequence logic problem
    P099 Blipper logic problem

I would take it to your dealer have them check it out. That's IMHO

Mike
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 08-09-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

If u got the originals put them back on and c what happens!!!

Registered Users GrumpySteelMan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The difference in rotational size between the fronts and the rear is too different and the stability control cannot deal with it.

If you insist on going big, you probably need the rear wheel to match.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yea I have the back rim coming, just taking longer to make.

Spyder Garage

Yea I have the back rim coming, just taking longer to make.
    Got a web site for the rims ???

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by librathe13th View Post
    Got a web site for the rims ???
    They're custom built by forgiato

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Son_Of_A_Moose_88 View Post
    I'm hving the same issue. But in my case, I upped the size on the rear 225/60 15, which would match height. Fronts are 225/35 20. I wonder if I should go w/ 30, instead of 35... ��

Any suggestions, Son_of_a_Moose_88??? Thx!?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Didn't lift the front end..

The tires are already rubber bands so don't think I can go lower in tires.

A buddy has 20"s on his '08 and didn't have any problems
    Have you asked your Buddy about it? Everyone you know that hv 20's, how they rigged it, if they did? I'm chking on my end, & no luck yet. Smdh

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Uniekstylz View Post
    I'm hving the same issue. But in my case, I upped the size on the rear 225/60 15, which would match height. Fronts are 225/35 20. I wonder if I should go w/ 30, instead of 35... ��

You may not hear from son_of_a_moose_88, Uniek. The post you are referring to hasn’t been touched since 2014.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I appreciate you. I'm new at this & didn't realize how old it was. Safe week.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Son_Of_A_Moose_88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniekstylz View Post

As I tried to explain at length in the ABS/VSS Fault Codes thread Uniekstylz, increasing the rears from 225/55R15 to 225/60R15 is NOWHERE NEAR enough of a size increase to match the tire rolling diameter increase of the tires you've installed up front!! Those 225/35R20's are MORE THAN FOUR AND ONE HALF INCHES TALLER THAN THE STOCK OE Spec Fronts, (yes, that IS more than 4 & 1/2 inches!! ) while you've increased the rolling diameter at the rear by maybe something a touch less than ONE INCH ( - 1 inch!!) There's NO WAY that the Nanny will handle a variation THAT BIG without extra help/re-programming . And I wouldn't head down that path lightly for a number of fairly expensive & potentially difficult to enact reasons!!

Given the WIDTH of the fronts you've chosen, I sincerely doubt that even dropping your front tire profile back to 30 will make any significant difference; and I also doubt you'll be able to fit any tire that's too much taller on the rear without causing some 'scrubbing the wheel arch' problems, altho going to a slightly narrower but taller profile tire like a 215/65R15 might give you maybe as much as 1/2 an inch extra rolling diameter back there, and that size tire has been known to fit & work OK on a 'lightly loaded' Spyder... But it's still NOWHERE NEAR a big enough increase to match the rolling dia of fronts that are 225 wide on 20" rims regardless of their profile!!

The Nanny is one of the best out there, and she easily manages the 'approx 2" difference' between the OE Spec Front & Rear tires in their standard sizes because she's been programmed to expect & manage that; she can even manage some minor size increases/variations over those OE sizes/the proportional relationship front to rear, just so long as you keep the proportional increase between the fronts and the rears reasonably similar.... BUT according to my sources at Bosch, she can only manage a MAXIMUM variation from stock of 'approx 40mm' - ie 1.57"- and that's NOT 4.5+ inches!!

So given the rear tire sizes you are limited to without extending the swing arms/enlarging the space available back there, without any guarantees, I reckon you MIGHT get away with running something like a 165/35R20 up front (IF you can find any to fit/try) but anything much wider on a 20" rim is just going to be TOO BIG and TOO MUCH of a variation from stock for the Nanny to handle in her current format/without modifying your her &/or Spyder....

Sorry, but put as clearly as I can, I'm reasonably sure that 225/ANY PROFILE Tires on 20" rims will be TOO MUCH for your Spyder to handle in OE condition!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2021 at 06:58 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!