Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wrong Oil Change Kit

I should never take anything for granted. Went to change the '14 RT's oil and filter and found the filters didn't match. Now I will have to drive 80 miles round trip to exchange it for the correct kit. I guarantee that from now on I will not "assume" anyone at the dealership knows what they are doing. I got to ask myself. Did they do this on purpose, knowing I was doing the oil change myself? That thought does not set well with me!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I should never take anything for granted. Went to change the '14 RT's oil and filter and found the filters didn't match. Now I will have to drive 80 miles round trip to exchange it for the correct kit. I guarantee that from now on I will not "assume" anyone at the dealership knows what they are doing. I got to ask myself. Did they do this on purpose, knowing I was doing the oil change myself? That thought does not set well with me!

Paranoia strikes free, into your heart it will creep!!! Or something like that; sorry for your troubles, give them the benefit of the doubt THIS time. And order your next oil change package from Baja Ron a site sponsor; he will do right by you
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My old dealer didn't like it but I always open the box after the first time they sold me a kit for an SM5 and I have an SE5. When I went back to get the trans filter the smart parts guy said "you don't have to change the trans filter every time anyway".
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i had the same problem the 14's changed. we live and learn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

been ordering my kits online dilivered to my door without a hitch. Always give myself enough time for a return if this should happen. I do feel for your situation especially if your all apart and miss out on the 80 mile ryde.. but your right to check it before leaving the store...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The oil change kits are different for the 2014 ACE 1330. Now you know for sure and probably wont have that one happen to you again.

Early on, they were not even available and were backordered. I had to buy a kit from Pitbull to have my first oil change done.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, everyone! I should learn to not trust other people on stuff like this. My trip over and back was fruitful (got 2 filters) and has caused me to pose a question. The dealer had no oil change kits in stock. So, does that mean when you have a service that they just change the filter and leave the copper washers and rubber O rings? And if that is the case, are they charging for a full kit when in reality you are only getting a filter? I know that the last service the dealer did I was charged for a full kit.
    I will start ordering my kits online though.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, everyone! I should learn to not trust other people on stuff like this. My trip over and back was fruitful (got 2 filters) and has caused me to pose a question. The dealer had no oil change kits in stock. So, does that mean when you have a service that they just change the filter and leave the copper washers and rubber O rings? And if that is the case, are they charging for a full kit when in reality you are only getting a filter? I know that the last service the dealer did I was charged for a full kit.
    You have a very valid question. Dealers stocking bare minimum of parts are starting to crop up a lot. The oil change kits should NOT be an out of stock item. IMO--that's like McDonalds running out of hamburgers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Happened to me once and I live 60 miles from dealer, one way. Best thing to do is go to the BRP sight and get the part number/numbers from the OEM parts catalog, then double check the part when it gets set on the counter.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Happened to me once and I live 60 miles from dealer, one way. Best thing to do is go to the BRP sight and get the part number/numbers from the OEM parts catalog, then double check the part when it gets set on the counter.
    I will do exactly that next time I buy from the dealer. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I will do exactly that next time I buy from the dealer. Thanks!
    Doesn't speak too well of dealerships if you have to always double check them on what they are paid to KNOW and do for you
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc, I doubt that dealers use the oil change "Kit" when doing an in-house oil change. My dealer stocks the kits for customers as well as the individual parts and pieces. They use the individual parts and pieces as well as BRP bulk oil when they do in-house oil changes. Of course, as we all know, all dealers are not created equal. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

They use the individual parts and part numbers because it results in more profit than using a kit.

Just contact BajaRon and get an oil change kit for your bike. Order a complete set with o-rings the first time, replacement oil filters from then on until you need the o-rings again. You do not need new o-rings every change unless you nick the o-ring or its getting hard. Replace the copper crush washer each time or switch to rubber bonded washers.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ooil change

My 2014 RT owners manual specifies a specific type of oil[ not sure but I believe 5W20] semisynthetic or blended synthetic if no oem BRP oil is available. I am not at home and dont have the manual with me, but the point is that BRP gives the weight and type of oil, not just their own proprietary oil that can be used in the 2014 RT. I have always changed my own oil and filters and tires and am happy to see that I can continue to use the appropriate oil of my choice again. How about oil and air filters, are there aftermarket filters available from Pure, Wix or K&N etc? As afar as crush washers, I have the original crush washer on my 1800 Gold Wing after 216,000 miles and still no oil leak. I have run car tires on the Wing for the last 200K miles and am sitll waiting for the fiery crash and burn death from that practice. I did have Pit Bull do the first 3K mile oil change, but they wouldnt let me watch, so now I have to look for the oil drain plug myself.
    Andy