Spyder Garage

Default Seat question - numb legs

I still have the stock seat and I am on the vertically challenged side but have long-ish legs. The sides of the stock seat, along the seam seem to put pressure on a nerve in my legs which makes them fall asleep while riding. No biggie on the left side, but on the right...

i have been looking at the Corbin, which my wife has, and the Ultimate seats. The Corbin seems to be a little wider and harder. I have ridden on it some and it seems to be ok, but not a perfect fit.

So my question is related more to the Ultimate. Compared to the stock seat, are the narrower, wider, or about the same? Are the harder, softer or about the same? Do they have the "ridge" on the side like the stock seat that might put more pressure on one spot of your leg or do they tend to provide even pressure as you sit?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has had experience with any of the three seats,
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Believe it or not but I stand up sometimes(got floor boards) for about a mile and I relieve a ache I get in my hip. Put the cruse on about 65 and stand up. Always try to do it when no one else is around.... so people won't say... look at the crazy old fart... Also do it on a straight part of a road...

Spyder Garage

Ultimate is wider too. Not sure how long an if it will break in. You might want to try an Air hawk or a cheap pad like the one I used.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Memory-M.../dp/B00GYR0SS2
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bgame View Post
    Believe it or not but I stand up sometimes(got floor boards) for about a mile and I relieve a ache I get in my hip. Put the cruse on about 65 and stand up. Always try to do it when no one else is around.... so people won't say... look at the crazy old fart... Also do it on a straight part of a road...
    I do the same thing, when the need arises...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I do the same thing, when the need arises...
    +1 always have on any bike from time to time. It lets the butt get a little breeze too.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RENS Sheepskin-IKEA

I get a much more comfortable ride while using the sheepskin on my seat. I find that
    just by lifting yourself up an inch or so, off so and you get a nice breeze blowing under your seat. Cools things down nicely.
    Don't raise yourself up too high, or the fur will fly... ;-)

Chas
    Last edited by ChasCS; 08-09-2014 at 05:33 PM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

FIRST ..... what is your inseam if it is 30 or less chances are the seat
    is to wide for you, getting a wider seat will not help in that case.
    yours is an easy problem to fix, If you call me I can tell you what to do.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    I still have the stock seat and I am on the vertically challenged side but have long-ish legs. The sides of the stock seat, along the seam seem to put pressure on a nerve in my legs which makes them fall asleep while riding. No biggie on the left side, but on the right...

i have been looking at the Corbin, which my wife has, and the Ultimate seats. The Corbin seems to be a little wider and harder. I have ridden on it some and it seems to be ok, but not a perfect fit.

So my question is related more to the Ultimate. Compared to the stock seat, are the narrower, wider, or about the same? Are the harder, softer or about the same? Do they have the "ridge" on the side like the stock seat that might put more pressure on one spot of your leg or do they tend to provide even pressure as you sit?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has had experience with any of the three seats,

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Same problem I have with the Ultimate. It's wider than stock and presses on a nerve in my thigh. I ended up on a Corbin and that's working out pretty well. When the "hardness" of the Corbin gets to me, I add an Airhawk. I'm hoping the Corbin will eventually break in and I won't need the Airhawk anymore. Also, I find the gas door on the Corbin much easier and nicer to use.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the "I can't sit on this seat club."

There is a lot of this going around and many have offered solutions that work.

I just toughed it out on my 2014 OEM seat. Have just passed 6,000 miles and I think the seat is finally broke in. I can now ride on the seat for almost a hundred miles before I have to get off and stretch.

I have used Corbin (you know about it and the hardness). I have used the BRP Comfort seat, and prefer it to the OEM. It sits you back a bit further.

I added Seal Floorboards to my pre 2014 's and they also helped.

I carry a sheepskin/gel pad and an Airhawk Cruiser pad in the trunk. When I need a reposition, I go to one, the other, or both, depending on the pain of the moment. I have not used either back up pad in the last couple weeks. See break-in of seat paragraph above.

The seat solution is expensive. Currently, we have one person who has went through three different and is still looking for the "right one."

Good luck with your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Magdave;854421 It lets the butt get a little breeze too.[/QUOTE]
    How am I going to shake THAT mental image???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default WALLET

DO YOU CARRY YOUR WALLET IN THE BACK-RIGHT POCKET......???????
    THAT MAY BE IT.....

OR: MAYBE YOU HAVE TOO MUCH
    $$$$$$$$$ IN IT......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I just toughed it out on my 2014 OEM seat. Have just passed 6,000 miles and I think the seat is finally broke in. I can now ride on the seat for almost a hundred miles before I have to get off and stretch.

I have used Corbin (you know about it and the hardness). I have used the BRP Comfort seat, and prefer it to the OEM. It sits you back a bit further.

I carry a sheepskin/gel pad and an Airhawk Cruiser pad in the trunk. When I need a reposition, I go to one, the other, or both, depending on the pain of the moment. I have not used either back up pad in the last couple weeks. See break-in of seat paragraph above.

The seat solution is expensive. Currently, we have one person who has went through three different and is still looking for the "right one."

You talking about me

To answer the OP's question the Ultimate seat I had put more pressure on my legs than the stock seat. While I wait to have a Russell seat made( this winter) I added a Air Hawk R pad which seems to help, I will give it a full day test tomorrow to see for sure.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Only 100 miles...? with a good seat you should get 3 times that 2 if you got to go pee.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't squeezed your thigh too much against the tank. It prevent the blood flows and causes your numbness. Move around your position and find a good spot.

Good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Don't squeezed your thigh too much against the tank. It prevent the blood flows and causes your numbness. Move around your position and find a good spot.

Good luck.

I usually ride "open leg" and don't really press against the spyder at all, usually not even touching it with my legs. The only exception is hard cornering.
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    FIRST ..... what is your inseam if it is 30 or less chances are the seat
    is to wide for you, getting a wider seat will not help in that case.
    yours is an easy problem to fix, If you call me I can tell you what to do.
    Dave
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm sorry to hear about the Ultimates. They looked narrower in the pictures, but sounds like that is not the case.

Dave, my inseam is right around that 30ish inches. I may give you a call later this week.

Thanks!
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Only 100 miles...? with a good seat you should get 3 times that 2 if you got to go pee.
    Not with my back and hip issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    +1 always have on any bike from time to time. It lets the butt get a little breeze too.
    Not sure we want to hear about your 'butt breeze'!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have 3 pins in my right hip. Theo OEM seat was too soft and I could feel pressure on my pins in my right hip while riding.

I bought a corbin seat and love it . The foam is hard enough that I have no pressure on my pins in my right hip.
    I opted for the tuck and roll pattern , no wealt/piping on the seat side and no Lamonster cut for maximum padding. I do not find the seat too wide set up like this . I do not a lot of sideways movement in my right hip. I am very comfortable to ride all day with few stops except for gas and a quick bite to eat.

I do not like the large fuel door in the other seat. I also like the way corbin has hidden the fuel door in their seat. I called Corbin to order my seat and discussed all my issues with them and spent a lot of time with them while ordering my seat.
    I had a great experience ordering my seat from Corbin.

Spyder Garage

May I offer my solution to your problem? Take a look at the pictures in this link to see what I did to relieve saddle soreness:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...p?albumid=1359

The bracket is by KewlMetal and the pegs are KuryAkyn. I also have the Utopia driver's backrest. I also buy 30" inseam jeans.

The positioning of the pegs is down low. This allows me to stand on them with straight legs soy knees and muscles are not stressed. This raises me only an inch or so off the saddle, but relieves all fatigue in the nether regions. As I'm not standing high enough to look strange and can lean against the backrest, I can ride comfortably for miles in this position, steering with one or two hands. Before this setup I had to get out of the saddle every 30-45 minutes. Now I can ride for the whole tank, tank after tank, day after day. Have done several 10 day, 4000 mile trips, plus one 782 mile day. It works well for me.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Default Pegs

Will those work on an SE? Looks like your pictures are an SM.
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Princeau99 View Post
    Will those work on an SE? Looks like your pictures are an SM.
    Sure they would. They actually mount on the motor mounts, so are very securely attached to the frame. They are thick steel and can easily handle any amount of weight you might place on them. You just need to make sure the pegs you use can also hold the weight.

One thing about these brackets, they really make removal of the bottom panels difficult. They supply a bolt that actually runs from one side of the frame, across the engine to the other side, replacing the two short motor mount bolts with one long one. This long bolt blocks easy access to the bottom panels, which makes oil changes more difficult. My solution to that was to remove the bottom panels altogether, which was done to help manage the heat issues anyway.
    Last edited by MarkLawson; 08-11-2014 at 06:41 AM.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Default A Possible Solution

This thread may not necessarily be a seat issue - my suggestion would be to look into the Rivco Floorboard relocation kit. They offer a kit (for model years up to 2013) that will raise the floorboards 2" and alleviate any inner thigh issues. We run them on our shop bike and I'm 5'9" with a 30 inch inseam and have no issues what-so-ever.

Best,

Dave
    www.ultimateseats.com
    877-672-0288
    348 Destination Daytona Lane
    Ormond Beach, FL 32174

Spyder Garage

I'm am new spyder owner all ideas sound par but as my bike instructor would say:"find the bike that fits!" & never try standing wile driving! Floorboards or not. Hopefully there will be vendors at rallies with displays to sit on & try out, but is expensive and doubtful, g'luck 2u , other fourms with "iron butt" winners may have more tips, just be aware enough to not dismount to find out u cant walk! See u out there

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights