Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default HELP FROM LONG DISTANT TRAVELED RIDERS

I am planning a ride from Vermont to Seattle, Wa via the Great Northern Hwg. and returning on the Oregon Trail, Oregon Coast to Provincetown, Ma. and finally home to Vt. My questions to you seasoned travelers is:
    WHAT SHOULD I TAKE FOR EASY ON THE ROAD REPAIRS, FUSES, TIRE INFLATER,
    I will be purchasing a BRP trailer. This is a once in a lifetime adventure, I will be 74, which really doesn't deter me in any way. I will be riding solo, so need information on safety for myself and my bike. I don't feel comfortable with guns so will need alternative means of defense. This will be leisurely trip, two stops for visitation with friends. I am thinking 4 to 5 hrs on the bike a day. This trip will be over 6000 miles.
    Any information we can give me will be hugely appreciated. I love this site---love reaching out to other riders for advise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis View Post
    I am planning a ride from Vermont to Seattle, Wa via the Great Northern Hwg. and returning on the Oregon Trail, Oregon Coast to Provincetown, Ma. and finally home to Vt. My questions to you seasoned travelers is:
    I will be purchasing a BRP trailer. This is a once in a lifetime adventure, I will be 74, which really doesn't deter me in any way. I will be riding solo, so need information on safety for myself and my bike. I don't feel comfortable with guns so will need alternative means of defense. This will be leisurely trip, two stops for visitation with friends. I am thinking 4 to 5 hrs on the bike a day. This trip will be over 6000 miles.
    Any information we can give me will be hugely appreciated. I love this site---love reaching out to other riders for advise.
    I recommend talking with Prairie Spyder and MurphyBrown. Both are seasoned travelers and I am guessing will be very helpful in answering a lot of your questions.

Way to go lady.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Take relays and syder codes, and a list of spyders to the rescue ,tire fix + tools, a micro-start antigravity battery XP-1 and a RPG. Good luck on your trip

Spyder Garage

My friends and I took road trips of at least 3000 miles every year. I found that a quart of oil, a spare gallon of gas, a can of flat fix, a good tool kit for the needed wrenches, screw drivers, and allan wrenches for your Spyder, and a can of Honda cleaner polish (NOT for your windshield!!!!) to clean the bugs off your ride, is all you really need. Really isn't much else you can do on a Spyder on the road.

I also always travel with a good GPS and the PureGas App on my iPhone - tells you where to get non etoh gas, which I used whenever possible in my Spyder.

JMHO.....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

No advice, but I wish you the greatest of rides. I'm your age & maybe 4hrs a day would be my max, but can't leave wifey on her own for that long.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    My friends and I took road trips of at least 3000 miles every year. I found that a quart of oil, a spare gallon of gas, a can of flat fix, a good tool kit for the needed wrenches, screw drivers, and allan wrenches for your Spyder, and a can of Honda cleaner polish (NOT for your windshield!!!!) to clean the bugs off your ride, is all you really need. Really isn't much else you can do on a Spyder on the road.

I also always travel with a good GPS and the PureGas App on my iPhone - tells you where to get non etoh gas, which I used whenever possible in my Spyder.

JMHO.....

Thanks for the tip on the PureGas App.. I am making a list of everything riders are recommending.

Spyder Garage

Default Give me a call

sent you a PM
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Have a great trip. An alternative to carrying a gun, would be pepper spray, would fit in the tank glove Box.
    I would also suggest a can of wasp and hornet spray. It will stand up in the side storage and you don't need a permit to carry.
    Ryde safe.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Default NICE RIDE

NICE RIDE.....
    WISH I COULD JOIN YOU
    .... (but you said you wanted to be alone, geeez....)
    1st, have you bike checked out
    COMPLETELY.... FLUIDS, BELT, TIRES, PLUGS & WIRES, BRAKES, all your LIGHTS, etc etc etc....
    have your tires (3) filled with
    RIDE-ON, that way you most likely will never know if you've ridden over a sharp object...
    take 5 sets of underwear, use the laundry facilities at motels every few days... you'll need
    RAIN GEAR and warm clothing, believe me, you'll need it if riding at night or in the mountains... if you wear boots to ride, make sure you have alternate footwear... boots get really heavy when walking around... bring your phone & camera and their chargers... if you're like most of us old guys, bring along your prune juice or stool-softener....
    YIKES! DID I JUST SAY THAT...?

if you have
    Dog Tags, wear them, or make sure you have a proper I.D. with you at all times... notify your credit card companies, that you will be on the road... i once had one of my cards VOID because my bank thought it had been stolen... contact loved ones on a regular basis - they do love you you know.... and they worry too.... NEVER HESITATE TO STOP and look around at where you are at.... you may NEVER pass that way again.... i've often regretted that i didn't stop at a particular spot... time is on your side my friend,make the best of it and enjoy it....

ALWAYS have a bottle of water with you... when reaching the states west of Illinois, start looking for a gas station when you have half a tank left... you'll be surprised how few and far between they get out there.... check you oil at the end of every days riding... carry at least 1 qt with you...

a weapon is
    ALWAYS nice to have along with you.... but if you don't feel comfortable... your next best options is.......... ahhhh, SCREAM....
    however, if you rethink it, a .22 or .38 cal. 5 shot double-action revolver mite be the trick....
    learn the IN's and OUT's of it first if you're not familiar....
    if i can be of anymore help, just PM me....

whatever you do, do it well, and enjoy your ride.... you'll never regret it as long as you live....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HA HA HA HA

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    sent you a PM
    ......Guess what Karyl , I already sent her your way .......Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE TRIP

, sent you a PM on this ....................Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Default Hornet and wasp spray

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
    Have a great trip. An alternative to carrying a gun, would be pepper spray, would fit in the tank glove Box.
    I would also suggest a can of wasp and hornet spray. It will stand up in the side storage and you don't need a permit to carry.
    Ryde safe.
    Tell be about this......never heard this before
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Default WOW

What a terrific trip.
    Although I believe in guns for self defense, going across state lines with a fire arm can cause much grief. A can of wasp spray that will shoot 10-15 feet would not be breaking any laws.
    Have a safe trip, please post your progress when you can.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    NICE RIDE.....
    WISH I COULD JOIN YOU
    .... (but you said you wanted to be alone, geeez....)
    1st, have you bike checked out
    COMPLETELY.... FLUIDS, BELT, TIRES, PLUGS & WIRES, BRAKES, all your LIGHTS, etc etc etc....
    have your tires (3) filled with
    RIDE-ON, that way you most likely will never know if you've ridden over a sharp object...
    take 5 sets of underwear, use the laundry facilities at motels every few days... you'll need
    RAIN GEAR and warm clothing, believe me, you'll need it if riding at night or in the mountains... if you wear boots to ride, make sure you have alternate footwear... boots get really heavy when walking around... bring your phone & camera and their chargers... if you're like most of us old guys, bring along your prune juice or stool-softener....
    YIKES! DID I JUST SAY THAT...?

if you have
    Dog Tags, wear them, or make sure you have a proper I.D. with you at all times... notify your credit card companies, that you will be on the road... i once had one of my cards VOID because my bank thought it had been stolen... contact loved ones on a regular basis - they do love you you know.... and they worry too.... NEVER HESITATE TO STOP and look around at where you are at.... you may NEVER pass that way again.... i've often regretted that i didn't stop at a particular spot... time is on your side my friend,make the best of it and enjoy it....

ALWAYS have a bottle of water with you... when reaching the states west of Illinois, start looking for a gas station when you have half a tank left... you'll be surprised how few and far between they get out there.... check you oil at the end of every days riding... carry at least 1 qt with you...

a weapon is
    ALWAYS nice to have along with you.... but if you don't feel comfortable... your next best options is.......... ahhhh, SCREAM....
    however, if you rethink it, a .22 or .38 cal. 5 shot double-action revolver mite be the trick....
    learn the IN's and OUT's of it first if you're not familiar....
    if i can be of anymore help, just PM me....

whatever you do, do it well, and enjoy your ride.... you'll never regret it as long as you live....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    These are all good suggestions. I will say, though, that the gas stations west of the Mississippi aren't really that far apart! If you are one who would carry a gun, be sure you're familiar with the laws in the states you'll pass through. And be quiet about it!

I pack my Spyder cover, first aid kit and tire kit in my left saddle bag. The tire kit includes that canned goop to seal a puncture and an air compressor. In my right saddle bag is my rain gear, including rain covers for my feet. Scarves, wraps, gloves, etc. and room for my helmet in the frunk. That's where I stow it when I go inside for lunch, etc. Rear trunk for my tool kit, purse, electronics, etc. I keep a Sterlite container that's easy to open from the top in the trailer with all my clothes in it. Then I use a small duffle with only 1-2 day's worth of clothes and toiletries to take into the hotel each night. No point in hauling everything in every night. I keep clothes, books, computer, etc in the back of the trailer. The front contains extra riding gear, helmets, bike-cleaning kit, and chain to secure the trailer in the front of the trailer. Maybe I'm getting into too much detail. But that's what the routine I've come to and it's working for me.

I don't carry extra fuel or a spare, but I may start as my rear tire gets more miles.

Oh, one more thing I'm adding to my kit is a piece of 2x4 lumber. In southern Colo, I had to park on a slope and even with the parking brake on, it acted like it might roll away; and I couldn't find a stone to use as a wheel chock any where!

Of course, if MurphyBrown tells you different, I'd follow her advice. She's the champ for long-distance touring.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

wasp /hornet spray will slow someone down....I keep it at the back door........as far as traveling alone....I'm sure Karyl has given you all the info needed.....carry an umbrella....it will give you shade if you are on side of road.....I'm just always aware of my surrounding....if I pull into a motel...looks iffy...there will be another down the road

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh, I forgot - - - - sunscreen!!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Roadside Assistance...make sure it covers motorcycles

I prefer Good Sam platinum.
    But AAA Premium RV also a good one.
    toilet paper, duct tape, set of fuses, small compact tool set (recommended by Lamont), SPOT tracker, space blanket, fire starter.
    prairiespyders list is very close to mine.
    My French press for my coffee!!!
    all other suggestions are right on.
    Atlas..have a GPS but have never used!!!
    remember if you find you need something..Walmarts are everywhere!!!
    my-Spyder app..free. And it is INVALUABLE.. Created by our very own Roger_rattigan!!!
    Binoculars
    i carry spare tire for trailer with small scissor jack and folding star wrench.
    Last edited by murphybrown; 08-07-2014 at 09:49 PM.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Registered Users Top End Unlimited's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ryde safe.

Yep Eagle is right. Carry a large can of wasp or hornet spray. You can reach someone at a very safe distance. One shot in the face and they won't be bothering you anymore. But after the shot in the face. Turn that key on and hit the mode button, then get the hell out of there. LOL!

Spyder Garage

We recently completed a 16000 mile trip. I would also recommend adding ride on to your tires before starting out. If you do have a tire issue that ride on won't seal, then you probably wouldn't be able to fix it with the normal road side repair stuff.

Our biggest concern before starting was the gas situation, so we did pack a gas can. Never used it and eventually gave it to a friend in order to make some room once we were heading east of the Mississippi. But there is a "trick" to that. In the heat our RT was getting in the low 20s for mpg. So once I filled the tank and got a little way down the road I had the Garmin search for gas stations along my route. My target was to fill up at around 80 miles on the tank, so I would choose a station as close to that as possible. If the GPS didn't find one that far out, I would make a mental note of the farthest one, and then try the gas station search as I got closer to the known station. Sometimes we filled up at 50 miles just to make sure that we were in range of one farther down. And at least once I decided not to go down a particular road because I could not get confirmation even from locals of gas within my range.

Good luck on your trip, you are going to be riding through some beautiful country. If you ever had a desire to wade across the Mississippi River, stop at the Itasca Lake State Park near Bemidji, Minnesota.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post
    Tell be about this......never heard this before
    Wasp & Hornet spray :

1. Very effective deterant for all assailants - - man or beast.
    2. Far more Capacity than pepper spray.
    3. No permit needed.
    4. Don't have to be accurate, like a gun, just point,, spray. Once they are disabled Leave & get help.
    5. Range 15-20 feet.
    6. Stands up in side storage compartment.
    7. Pepper spray disables, but does not kill the assailants thus a self defense weapon, not a lethal weapon.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Default MEDS

ONE MORE THING: MEDICATION......
    DON'T FORGET YOUR MEDS,
    VERY IMPORTANT.....

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

When we went on our trip to New York from Florida I contacted BRP and asked if they would give me the names, address and phone numbers of CanAm Dealers along the route I was taking. They e-mailed me a list of Dealers. I thought it was great that BRP would do that for me. Good luck and drive safe, we had a great time on our trip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mods= luggage rack, rear trunk shelf & Mirror

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wasp & Hornet spray :

1. Very effective deterant for all assailants - - man or beast.
    2. Far more Capacity than pepper spray.
    3. No permit needed.
    4. Don't have to be accurate, like a gun, just point,, spray. Once they are disabled Leave & get help.
    5. Range 15-20 feet.
    6. Stands up in side storage compartment.
    7. Pepper spray disables, but does not kill the assailants thus a self defense weapon, not a lethal weapon.
    As much as I'm a fan of the 2nd amendment; Interstate carry may prove impossible due to the varying restrictions among the States that you'll be in...

I really DO like the Hornet Spray alternative...

To take it to another level: will this stuff ignite when you put a flame into the stream?
    I would imagine that once you take the wind out of the sails of an attacker, a demonstration of the next step would make their mind up to be somewhere else.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Photography

Take the very best camera that you can afford.
    Lenses, flash, filters, memory cards and batteries with chargers.

Have fun, Happy Trails...

Chas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    We recently completed a 16000 mile trip. I would also recommend adding ride on to your tires before starting out. If you do have a tire issue that ride on won't seal, then you probably wouldn't be able to fix it with the normal road side repair stuff.

Our biggest concern before starting was the gas situation, so we did pack a gas can. Never used it and eventually gave it to a friend in order to make some room once we were heading east of the Mississippi. But there is a "trick" to that. In the heat our RT was getting in the low 20s for mpg. So once I filled the tank and got a little way down the road I had the Garmin search for gas stations along my route. My target was to fill up at around 80 miles on the tank, so I would choose a station as close to that as possible. If the GPS didn't find one that far out, I would make a mental note of the farthest one, and then try the gas station search as I got closer to the known station. Sometimes we filled up at 50 miles just to make sure that we were in range of one farther down. And at least once I decided not to go down a particular road because I could not get confirmation even from locals of gas within my range.

Good luck on your trip, you are going to be riding through some beautiful country. If you ever had a desire to wade across the Mississippi River, stop at the Itasca Lake State Park near Bemidji, Minnesota.
    Thanks for the information on gas fill ups. That was one of the major concerns I had. I am planning on carrying extra gas.