Spyder Garage

Default Utopia Backrest install on Ultimate seat

I did this this morning using a Drill with Gatorblades. The pictures below show both backrest posts. I cut the Utopia to the same (oops almost 1/4 short) length as the Ultimate post. The Ultimate has a groove on the backside that is for a spring lock. I measured the mark and used the same Gator blade to cut the groove in the Utopia post. I beveled the edges on the Utopia post on my grinder. As I said I cut it a wee short but it goes in and a little pull up locks into place.. I am showing the pictures before I painted the Utopia so you can see the work. Now I have a choice of which to use. I prefer the Utopia it is bigger and as you can see I have it almost touching the seat where the Ultimate lacks any up and down adjustment and was not as comfortable. It also gives my wife some edges to grab on accel ( I never knew she did this before the Ultimate and I felt her fingers).

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Am I the first to do this? It is painted and done. Much more comfortable like sitting in my recliner.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Dave,

Thanks for the pictures. Looks great! And it does look more comfortable. When it comes to backrests, I think bigger is better. I also very much like the way the stitching exactly matches the OEM passenger backrest. Looks like the Utopia actually came with the Spyder.

I just got an email this morning that the Utopia backrest for my 2013 BRP Comfort seat has been shipped. Traveling to Pittsburgh next week, but the week after that my seat goes "under the knife". I'm a little nervous about that part of it, but can't wait to get it installed. I paid the $19 extra and got the matching sleeve that goes around the bracket. That will give me the flexibility as to whether or not to use the pouch that goes behind the backrest.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-07-2014 at 07:00 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MAYBE OR

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Am I the first to do this? It is painted and done. Much more comfortable like sitting in my recliner.
    .....I had a Utopia that was for a 1200 GW that I just put on my 2014 RT.....Utopia really didn't want to sell me the base bracket ( I can understand that ) so I made my own ( thanks again Dee for that welder )...Luckily BRP made this one very easy compared to the RS /GS seat.......Mikeguyver .................and Thanks Dave for the advice on the pics , we are working on it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Dave,

Thanks for the pictures. Looks great! And it does look more comfortable. When it comes to backrests, I think bigger is better. I also very much like the way the stitching exactly matches the OEM passenger backrest. Looks like the Utopia actually came with the Spyder.

I just got an email this morning that the Utopia backrest for my 2013 BRP Comfort seat has been shipped. Traveling to Pittsburgh next week, but the week after that my seat goes "under the knife". I'm a little nervous about that part of it, but can't wait to get it installed. I paid the $19 extra and got the matching sleeve that goes around the bracket. That will give me the flexibility as to whether or not to use the pouch that goes behind the backrest.
    I had the sleeve on the one I sold with my old seat It makes it more comfortable for the passenger for sure. For this one I just use the Ultimate sleeve it works just as well. If you are DIYing it I have a couple of suggestions. After marking and cutting the slit use a long serrated skinny knife (like a bread knife )And do not be afraid to saw away as long as you have it against the seat frame. The second is make the holes in the seat a little bigger than needed. It will help getting the screw holes lined up. A scratch Awl can be a big help when you slide the post into the slit to get it into position for the first screw. Happy cutting it isn't that hard but I know the first cut is the deepest (and scariest) part measure twice (or more) and cut once It is all downhill from there

PS
    One last tip if you want it down close to the seat I took the plastic screw cover off there is an Allen head under it and used a little bit of double sided tape sandwiched in between the parts. No matter how hard you try you will never get that bolt tight enough to prevent wobble. The one I had on my BRP seat was solid as a rock after I did it. I also did it with the one I just showed you above. If you need to adjust it in the future a little flathead will split it when needed. Just try it in a couple of positions to find what works for you before you put the 3M tape between the posts. You will see what I mean when you get it all together.
    Last edited by Magdave; 08-07-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Dave,

Thanks much for all the advice above - especially the P.S. I will want to get it tight. What you said is a bit hard to follow at this point , however once I get the pieces in my hands, and read the instructions, it will likely fall into place. I may get back to you with a question or two before I do the install.

Thanks again.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I put a tall boy seat on my 2014 and didn't like the Ultimate backrest so traded it back in to them, got the post that Ultimate sells to mount the Utopia backrest on their seat, and then purchased just the backrest pad from Utopia...

easier....

but nice work on what you did
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    I put a tall boy seat on my 2014 and didn't like the Ultimate backrest so traded it back in to them, got the post that Ultimate sells to mount the Utopia backrest on their seat, and then purchased just the backrest pad from Utopia...

easier....

but nice work on what you did
    I needed the lower position that the Ultimate post did not allow. It was a used Utopia I bought for a good price probably the same as a pad in fact the Ultimate post goes for $125 So I paid $15 for up & down adjustability.