Spyder Garage

Default SRA-Puget Sound Mebership meeting

on the 16th of August, we will be meeting at Poodle Dog (1522 54th Ave E) in Fife, WA at 10am. We will discuss the By-Laws, The SRA-PS Welcome Packet, perhaps collect dues for the first year, and after all is said and done. go on a brisk 1.5 hour ride to a lunch destination in Morton, WA, you can get lunch, or even a small desert, at a little known place I know.
    Last edited by joet82; 08-14-2014 at 07:21 PM.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Default Dues

I was at the original meeting a couple of weeks ago. As I previously stated at that time, I would highly suggest you check with the IRS to verify if a tax return is due once you collect this dues. If one is due I suggest you review the filing requirements and if your treasurer is prepared to complete it.

Spyder Garage

Well fiddle sticks! Double-booked again

At least I made the first one! Michele & I are in full support of the new SRA-PS. Keep us posted. Thanx!
    - Duffer
    Camano Island, Wa
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Dues question ??

Quote Originally Posted by Red angel View Post
    I was at the original meeting a couple of weeks ago. As I previously stated at that time, I would highly suggest you check with the IRS to verify if a tax return is due once you collect this dues. If one is due I suggest you review the filing requirements and if your treasurer is prepared to complete it.
    Why are dues needed ?
    What will dues be used for ?

Why not have a 50/50 drawing at every mtg. 50% to winner and 50% to the chapter pot.

KIS

Just my 3 cents
    Last edited by wa3wheels; 08-08-2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: spell check
    wa3wheels How can u drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it? *Any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

Spyder Garage

Red & WA3: both legitimate concerns that I'm sure should and will be discussed at the next meeting (or the one after that)

I hesitate to dump too many concerns on the very first meeting of this fledgling club; adding to the already daunting burden of those WHO HAVE VOLUNTEERED to give their own free time to get this thing launched. Cudos to them btw

I hope as many folks as possible can make this next meet where we (except for me unfortunately) can debate/discuss these sorts of issues

I personally see no reason why we can't begin these discussions right here tho. Might save some time for the folks at the meeting if issues are laid out in advance and batted around ahead of time
    - Duffer
    Camano Island, Wa
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

2nd post for organizational reasons: So...

Q1: Why dues?
    What does a club such as this need funds for? How does funds usage then get authorized?
    What are the different SUCCESSFUL methods by which other clubs have raised funds when needed?
    What are the 'unintended consequences' of requiring dues? (both positive and negative)

Q2: Just how difficult is the Treasurer's job of keeping the IRS happy being a 501C club?
    Is it worth the hassle?
    Can a club raise funds without the IRS officiality? (see Why Dues?)

add to this your own Qs and responses
    - Duffer
    Camano Island, Wa
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Some Duffer responses then:

Why do clubs need funds?:
    Rides & meets expenses? Like door prizes or the rolling No Host Bar! I dunno. X-Mas party? Raffles? Goodie bags? Trophies? IRS filing fees? I know freebys draw higher participation from my car show days

How hard is this IRS stuff anyway?:
    At the 1st meet it was made obvious that some of the folks trying to get this thing launched are involved in other clubs of this nature. This ain't reinventing the wheel. Zillions of clubs operate around this country and we should be able to tap their collective experiences afa "what works and what don't" and I believe we have some of this knowledge available thru folks currently involved in this launch.

Respect their experience is my advise
    - Duffer
    Camano Island, Wa
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

The SpoKan-AM Chapter formed just a year ago. You might want to contact them as we went had many of the questions you now have. We have a Facebook page and I can give you Directors, with his permission, if you msg me here. Believe it or not there are expense involved with forming a club. We set our dues minimally,only $20 for members and $10 for aux. members.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

These questions and concerned are both being worked on and discussed by the Board. and we will pass on and talk about the status of everything at the meeting.

but to answer one right now....Dues and fund acquired through fund raisers by a non-profit are not taxable in the state of WA.

and the way the San Diego Chapter does dues. it is primarily to pay for administrative charges, I.e.-non-profit application, banners, possibly website, etc. and if there is enough of a surplus, they pay for an annual picnic/bbq.

Spyder Garage

I am not referring to state income taxes when I posed the question. I know Washington has no taxes. I was referring to Federal requirements. There is a form 990-N which needs to be filed annual beginning 5 months after you receive your non profit status and needs to be filed annually. Failure to file will revoke the nonprofit status and may make the funds taxable. I strongly you suggest you look into this before making any further comments regarding taxes.

Spyder Garage

Default Going Down to Meeting from Bellingham

I plan on leaving Bellingham at 8:00 from Starbucks on Sunset Dr (next to I-5 Exit 255)
    anyone interested in going down as well let me know 7 people showed they were interest in the club last Sunday

[

Spyder Garage

Meeting location has changed. please note, we are now meeting at Poodle Dog, the address is in my original post on this thread.

Spyder Garage

My schedule just opened.... just a smidge.

I may be able to make this meet!
    - Duffer
    Camano Island, Wa
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Default earlier leave time

Quote Originally Posted by n7wol View Post
    I plan on leaving Bellingham at 8:00 from Starbucks on Sunset Dr (next to I-5 Exit 255)
    anyone interested in going down as well let me know 7 people showed they were interest in the club last Sunday
    I forgot I need to be there by 9:00 will be leaving at 7:00am from Starbucks on Sunset

[

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I plan on being there too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by n7wol View Post
    I forgot I need to be there by 9:00 will be leaving at 7:00am from Starbucks on Sunset
    So you'll be buzzing by exit 212 about 7:30 then?
    - Duffer
    Camano Island, Wa
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Yes I will keep an eye out for you

Quote Originally Posted by Duffer View Post
    So you'll be buzzing by exit 212 about 7:30 then?

[

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry I missed the last meeting, had business to attend to up in BC
    2012 RT-S5, Quantum Blue, "Bitsy". Just starting out.