Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BRP Tires

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    Had a new rear tire put on at Spyderfest 2013 and had to replace it this week. 5,000 miles on a tire is crazy...$300 bucks is crazy too! Mechanic said that's about average.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    You guys are too funny.

Maybe we should remind everyone, before they start a NEW THREAD, to use the SEARCH function and see how many times the same question has been asked and answered before? Hmmm?

I realize we are all LAZY at times, but seriously, how many times do we have to see the same exact question asked over and over and over again?

OK, I regress, there are times where one might be seeking the latest and greatest knowledge on a certain subject, but....PLEASE could more of us use the search function before starting a new thread? Please? It is not my intent to be picking on anyone in particular, just generalizing. It is a chronic pattern as we all know far too well.

Hey Mike, how 'bout them POS Kenda tires on the Spyder? Ha ha.
    He didn't ask a question . . . he merely expressed a comment regarding his experience . . . what should he have searched for "How does killerbee feel about his tire?"

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

My fronts are cupped terribly as well, noticed it back a month or so and now at 10,000 miles I am ready to replace. Been trying to stretch them this far, barely made it.

Problem is this 165/55 15 OE size is so very rare, only aftermarket option in the exact size (here in the U.S.) seems to be a Federal EVO 595 that is a drifter tire, pretty stiff sidewalls, not really too keen on that one.

The fenders are so very tight I do not know if we can squeak a set of 175/55 15s in there or not. I have not found anyone who has done this yet.

Might look into a 165/60 15 which is only 2.9% bigger diameter, same width, but only offered in like a Conti Pro Contact. Then there is a slighty narrower (10mm) 155/60 15 which is 0.8% bigger diameter, also in Conti Pro Contact or Kumho Solus KH 16. They are only a T 118 mph speed rating, ick. Was hoping for more of a summer performance tire with some sticky tread, thus why so many get stuck using the OE Kendas up front on the 15" fronts on the 2013s and 2014s.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    He didn't ask a question . . . he merely expressed a comment regarding his experience . . . what should he have searched for "How does killerbee feel about his tire?"
    Valid point. He likely felt shafted, I can relate.

2015 F3-S SM-6

Spyder Garage

Valid point. He likely felt shafted, I can relate.
    I just ordered a Kumho Ecsta AST, this week . . . a local custom trike shop is going to mount and balance it for me . . . I know how he feels, too!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just ordered a Kumho Ecsta AST, this week . . . a local custom trike shop is going to mount and balance it for me . . . I know how he feels, too!
    I'm fortunate. My dealer will do ANYTHING I ask him to. Mount and balance off brand tires, install a brake on the handle bars, or put in aftermarket shocks and sway bars he doesn't care. The service manager and the tech are happy to do anything to keep me a happy customer.

Spyder Garage

My fronts are cupped terribly as well, noticed it back a month or so and now at 10,000 miles I am ready to replace. Been trying to stretch them this far, barely made it.

Problem is this 165/55 15 OE size is so very rare, only aftermarket option in the exact size (here in the U.S.) seems to be a Federal EVO 595 that is a drifter tire, pretty stiff sidewalls, not really too keen on that one.

The fenders are so very tight I do not know if we can squeak a set of 175/55 15s in there or not. I have not found anyone who has done this yet.

Might look into a 165/60 15 which is only 2.9% bigger diameter, same width, but only offered in like a Conti Pro Contact. Then there is a slighty narrower (10mm) 155/60 15 which is 0.8% bigger diameter, also in Conti Pro Contact or Kumho Solus KH 16. They are only a T 118 mph speed rating, ick. Was hoping for more of a summer performance tire with some sticky tread, thus why so many get stuck using the OE Kendas up front on the 15" fronts on the 2013s and 2014s.
    Mine too. I started to notice it at 9000 (now at 10000) and had the dealer recheck the laser alignment. That checked out so I plan on using them the rest of the year and then replace. Please post what tire you decide on and how it fits.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Mine too. I started to notice it at 9000 (now at 10000) and had the dealer recheck the laser alignment. That checked out so I plan on using them the rest of the year and then replace. Please post what tire you decide on and how it fits.
    Will do. I know our guy at Ollie's has been fighting this on several units.

2015 F3-S SM-6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    Had a new rear tire put on at Spyderfest 2013 and had to replace it this week. 5,000 miles on a tire is crazy...$300 bucks is crazy too! Mechanic said that's about average.
    That mechanic is full of BS.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Wait..!!

For a three day weekend..case of your favorite drink then search tires...then get back to us with a wrap up...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My Kunho arrived today. Rear tire is shot at 7000 miles, only in the center of course. My fronts look real good, starting to cup a little bit on the outside. I plan to have them rotated at 10,000 miles and expect or hope to get 20,000 out of the fronts.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are some 155/60-15s available that'lll fit!

I'm glad that you mentioned the front fenders...
    I did some quick measuring this past weekend... the "new" fenders have less than 3/4 of an inch clearance to the tire... The "Old" fenders were over an inch and a quarter...

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with all i have read about tires since i bought my , i am keeping an eye on mine, i did the road force last week when i redid my wheels & with 3,400 miles on them i don't see anything wrong.......yet. I still have very high tread without any noticeable edge wear or feathering. When the time comes i will do my research on what tires are best for my bike. The only thing
    i don't know if i will be able to do is pull the rear wheel off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't worry; be happy!!
    If you let every negative post in here upset you...

...you'd be dead!

And THAT would be something to worry about!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Tires are like oil - there is no "best" one - only ones that individuals consider the best of whats available to them

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Not trying to compare Apples to Apples...
    Just letting folks know where we came from in this sport...

HEY! We've got a guy looking for advice about oil chnges in another thread; I gave him your name...

Spyder Garage

Default Uh Oh. Time to post this again.

Not to hijack the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    You're right; it's much easier than typing in 'tires' to search and having to sift 4 pages of threads and hundreds of post. Then, if you try to get smart and type in 'tire wear', you have to hope that 'wear' was spelled correctly.

But, what I like best is when you link the OP to a thread where his/her question was already asked and answered, and others come on to try and answer, completely ignoring the link.
    HOW MANY GROUP POSTERS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
    14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
    7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
    27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
    53 to flame the spell checkers
    41 to correct spelling/grammar flames
    6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive
    2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
    15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
    156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"
    109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group
    203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped
    111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group
    306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
    27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
    14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
    3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
    33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
    12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
    19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"
    4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ
    44 to ask what is a "FAQ"
    4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
    143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
    1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

OK, now back to tires............................................. .......
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Believe it or not those tires are rare. My Kenda is almost bald down the center at 9400 miles. I am having the dealer mount a Kumho Ecsta Ast next week. I had to order it from Discount Tire which is the only place I could find it. The person there told me they had just ordered another one for another Spyder rider in the area. Maybe Discount Tire will start stocking them locally. A local mom and pop tire store said they didn't think they were even made anymore. Even Tire Rack which is probably the largest tire dealer in the U.S. does NOT have this particular tire in size 225/50-15. BTW I am having it installed when I take my RT in for scheduled maintenance and the dealer stated they have no problem mounting any tire provided by the owner as long as it is a NEW tire.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRES!

We have a 215/60/15 Michelin Primacy on the rear and after over 4000 miles including a 3079 trip to Canada on paved and dirt roads (thanks Garmin) we love the tire. It shows very little wear and I would put it on again. Fronts are still Kendas after 13000 miles and an alignment from Mike and Norm at 2013 SpyderQuest.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Believe it or not those tires are rare. My Kenda is almost bald down the center at 9400 miles. I am having the dealer mount a Kumho Ecsta Ast next week. I had to order it from Discount Tire which is the only place I could find it. The person there told me they had just ordered another one for another Spyder rider in the area. Maybe Discount Tire will start stocking them locally. A local mom and pop tire store said they didn't think they were even made anymore. Even Tire Rack which is probably the largest tire dealer in the U.S. does NOT have this particular tire in size 225/50-15. BTW I am having it installed when I take my RT in for scheduled maintenance and the dealer stated they have no problem mounting any tire provided by the owner as long as it is a NEW tire.
    I've called every dealer in the city that sells Kumho tires and everyone says the Kumho Ecsta Ast is no longer available???
    I got one dealer that's going to call Kumho directly and see if they can get me one.
    I may have to order it from discounttiredirect.com and have them ship it up to me which is going to be about $150 for a $81 tire.
    The only tire I've found locally is a Falken ZE 912 but not to impressed with the reviews on that tire...
    Last edited by Purple Guy; 08-13-2014 at 05:41 PM.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Not to hijack the thread.

HOW MANY GROUP POSTERS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
    14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
    7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
    27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
    53 to flame the spell checkers
    41 to correct spelling/grammar flames
    6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive
    2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
    15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
    156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"
    109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group
    203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped
    111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group
    306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
    27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
    14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
    3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
    33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
    12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
    19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"
    4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ
    44 to ask what is a "FAQ"
    4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
    143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
    1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

OK, now back to tires............................................. .......
    Well now I just feel horrible!
    You never even mentioned how many posts I would likely throw onto the pile...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "My 2014 was mfg. on 4/19 and I took delivery on 4/30. Did I get a "new" batch of tires. "

You must have...
    Mine is at 2,900 miles and counting; It's showing some wear now...
    Bob: Time for a new set of tires or some ice cream. Dee