Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealer Rip-off?

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Rip-off?

Just had my 14 RT serviced yesterday for the initial 3,000 mile check-up and I could not believe that my bill was $380. parts and labor. They charged 3 hours to do the check and the service. Have a sneaking suspicion I may have been overcharged. What are the rest of you paying? Also wasn't really impressed with their customer service.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the world of Can Am Dealer enrichment. My 600 mile service 2 years ago was $440.00 and an oil change 3 weeks ago was $250 which included oil, filters, crush washers, and 2 O rings which themselves were $10 and $5 respectively. I'm too old and creaky to do the work myself so I just bite the bullet.

Spyder Garage

Default Yep you can believe it....

If, like me, you have all service done by a dealer be prepared to open your wallet. BUT the joy and fun and fellowship my Spyder, Studly, brings into my life is worth every penny...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Did they do everything needed.

If they did everything on the schedule it is not an unreasonable cost. If the only changed the oil and filters it is very pricey.

2014 main.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If they covered the list properly:
    Trust... But verify!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Mine was just under $280.00.
    Now I just did my oil change and the Filter, 5 o-rings, and 2 crush washers + tax was $65 and the 6 qts of oil + tax was $58.00 for a total of $123.00
    That makes their labor $157.00 for the total first service - which I think is fair for everything they did.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Consider yourself Lucky

Just had my 2013 RTL in for 14000 service which included the Valve Adjustment...........get ready..........$1200.00 Thank god I prepaid it so I walked out for nothing. At least the 14s don't need valve adjustment!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lower maintenance costs for the 2014s was a selling point...servicing the RT.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Just had my 2013 RTL in for 14000 service which included the Valve Adjustment...........get ready..........$1200.00 Thank god I prepaid it so I walked out for nothing. At least the 14s don't need valve adjustment!
    A side question. Did they have to adjust the valves or where they OK?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That seems a tad high compared to what I paid. I paid for an 3 year BEST Warranty extension (5 year total) and a 3000 mile service and my total spend was $990. I think the warranty was about $840 so that would make the service $149. They may have ripped me off on one and made the other look cheaper lol.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

the first service should be done by the dealer and if done properly and completely thats the going price. Now oil changes are the ones to watch. Following services you can do yourself, if possible, or other mechanics but hooking up to buds should be done from time to time at the dealer..jmo..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Honest Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Just had my 14 RT serviced yesterday for the initial 3,000 mile check-up and I could not believe that my bill was $380. parts and labor. They charged 3 hours to do the check and the service. Have a sneaking suspicion I may have been overcharged. What are the rest of you paying? Also wasn't really impressed with their customer service.
    My dealer, Mountain Motorsports of Marietta, explained the various usual charges for planned maintenance and made it clear that the Spyder was not inexpensive to maintain. They offered a substantial discount on scheduled service that one can prepay. It is easy to see that the labor cost to access the bike is much higher than that to access an open street bike for service. I purchased a prepaid plan that is transferrable to the next owner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That sounds like a very good dealer!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

By the time you pay for all the labor costs from the dealer you could have gotten a good quality lift for your own garage and did it yourself and now you have a lift.....to do all your friends....or let them use it....and you know it was done right. just saying... I just put a new rear tire on my 2014 for the price of the tire and a 1/2 hour simple job. Dealer price? 1-1/2 hour labor and 120 for the tire. 250 + . I let them do my last tire on the 2010... Never again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gonker View Post
    By the time you pay for all the labor costs from the dealer you could have gotten a good quality lift for your own garage and did it yourself and now you have a lift.....to do all your friends....or let them use it....and you know it was done right. just saying... I just put a new rear tire on my 2014 for the price of the tire and a 1/2 hour simple job. Dealer price? 1-1/2 hour labor and 120 for the tire. 250 + . I let them do my last tire on the 2010... Never again.

But you're forgetting...

Not everyone has the location, tools and skills; to afford them this option...

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Gonker, I'm with you on what you are saying. I am an auto mechanic with my own shop. I will be doing my own oil changes from here on in. I already have an automotive 2 post lift. Thinking of a modification that would lift the Spyder. From what everyone else is saying I didn't get took too bad. I think they tried to set some future work by saying the valves would need adjusted at 14,000, even though it's a '14. Going to research that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

servicing the RT.jpg

No valve adjustments... EVER!!

Spyder Garage

Seems like a reasonable amount for three hours of work. Figure $100 an hour for a certified Spyder tech's time. I don't see anything bad about that.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Gonker, I'm with you on what you are saying. I am an auto mechanic with my own shop. I will be doing my own oil changes from here on in. I already have an automotive 2 post lift. Thinking of a modification that would lift the Spyder. From what everyone else is saying I didn't get took too bad. I think they tried to set some future work by saying the valves would need adjusted at 14,000, even though it's a '14. Going to research that.
    Since you have a 2 post lift, it should not be too hard to Mcgyver something up for the Spyder. That would make working on it very nice.
    I know that Service Writers, Service Managers and Technicians are not all seeing and knowing, but it really does shake your confidence in them when they say stuff like that. Hydraulic lifters and as a mechanic you know adjustments are not required.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default $253 for the first service at 3000 miles

I paid $253 for the first service at 3000 miles on my 2014 RT Limited. That included the inspection, oil/filter change and any service bulletins they checked. It's an AWESOME machine -- we have about 6500 miles on ours - miles of smiles!
    Also, I asked for a printout of the BUDS report from the first service and got it free as well!

Our 2014 RT is going in for a new rear tire in just under 3 weeks.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I suspect Jiffy Lube would charge more for an oil change, too, if they had to remove your left front quarter panel to do an oil change or inspect your serpentine belt! There are a lot of things that they are supposed to check in a service that are labor intensive just to get to.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JLSpyder2012 View Post
    I paid $253 for the first service at 3000 miles on my 2014 RT Limited. That included the inspection, oil/filter change and any service bulletins they checked. It's an AWESOME machine -- we have about 6500 miles on ours - miles of smiles!
    Also, I asked for a printout of the BUDS report from the first service and got it free as well!

Our 2014 RT is going in for a new rear tire in just under 3 weeks.
    Thats about what a friend just paid for his 3K service. I think he said $243.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    A side question. Did they have to adjust the valves or where they OK?
    Add $600 to $800 for a valve adjustment. A lot do not do them at 14K or 28K unless there are tell tale noises. "It's your wallet."

I did them on one at 14K and another at 28K. No adjustments were needed. I feel I am out about $1,500. Do not plan on doing any on my 2011.

A shady dealer can also charge you for same, not do anything--because mostly not needed. Cha Ching!

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sorry about the sticker shock. Welcome to the world of upkeep.

Average seems to be pretty close to the $300 mark for oil change/filter, and maintainance service. Most dealers charge $100 per hour labor. Mine does $110 per hour.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If they did everything on the schedule it is not an unreasonable cost. If the only changed the oil and filters it is very pricey.

2014 main.jpg
    Sorry but I disagree. The Oil lube and filter is 1.0 hours according to BRP. The rest of the items are CHECK, none of which requre ANY dis-assembly. Total of 30 minutes being generous.

This means they roughly charged him DOUBLE what they actually worked. My experience with the dealer service at 600 was roughly the same. Once they finally took my bike in the shop, it was done in 45 minutes and I was charged the same 3 hrs and full ala-carte pricing for the oil, filters, o-rings and gaskets. Even though they used a kit which is far cheaper, even at retail.

So far my experience with dealer service has been pretty lack luster, over priced and dishonest. Judging from the stories in this forum, its par for the course and fully accepted by BRP as a way of business.

We need to quit making excuses for bad service and call it what it is if we ever want it to improve.

An oil change for my GT does not cost $400. And it uses 9 qts of synthetic, a $32 filter and it take 132 screws to remove the belly pans to drain 3 sumps. And a GT tech is $145/hr at the few dealerships that have one. I still do the work myself, but what the CanAm dealers are charging 'because they can' is not right.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 08-01-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame