Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy DPS (Power Steering) and Radio Cutting out...

Yesterday DPS was 100% out on my way home from work. I checked the battery and it is showing high 12s in V, so the manual's reference to 11.5V and 8V, shouldn't be coming into issue here.

I'm not sure what to do. Today I tried riding into work without the stereo/ipod plug in and it worked fine. I guess I'll see it on the way home.

Last fall in Oct when I called my dealer they said DPS is the first thing to cut out when the battery is low. I trickle charge it every night!!! I'm not sure what I can do. It's one thing to do it because of the cold, but to do it on a 70 degree day???

Help!!! :/

Spyder Garage

There are 2 sides to this. Is the battery charging or is the battery bad. What I would do first is check the voltage and then start the Spyder, check the voltage again. If the voltage is a lot higher the charging system is good and could be a loose connection or defective battery. No loose connections take the battery to a place that can charge and load test your battery. My guess from your description is a shorted out cell in your battery but the only way to know for sure is to test.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Any increase in voltage above resting indicates the charging system is working. You can do a generic load test of your battery on the bike. While the voltmeter leads are connected to the battery, attempt to start the bike (with throttle held wide open). The voltage will drop some, but if it drops below 9 vdc that indicates a bad battery.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Any increase in voltage above resting indicates the charging system is working. You can do a generic load test of your battery on the bike. While the voltmeter leads are connected to the battery, attempt to start the bike (with throttle held wide open). The voltage will drop some, but if it drops below 9 vdc that indicates a bad battery.

Why with the throttle held wide open?

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    Why with the throttle held wide open?
    Wide open throttle turns off fuel and ignition in case of flooded engine. In this case you can check battery voltage while cranking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Wide open throttle turns off fuel and ignition in case of flooded engine. In this case you can check battery voltage while cranking.

Thanks, a great tip.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Now the DPS is out 100%, had the battery tested, it tested well.

Now the DPS is out 100%, had the battery tested, it tested well(came back indicating it is a good battery).

I'm not sure what my next step is. Is DPS covered under warranty? I bought it March 2013.

Bike stalls, DPS 100% out, Ipod through Stereo sometimes cuts out, Battery reads good. Not sure where a pinched wire would be.

Any other ideas?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Did you get this sorted?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zamfield View Post
    Did you get this sorted?
    It seems to be much better when I unplug the corbin trunk brake/running light. It seems Corbin's tap in wiring does not work with the Spyder. I've tried redoing it, and trying a few different ways to tap in.