Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1330 OIL REPORT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I am home now and have the Napa kit ($15) in hand. Should have some good info on the BRP oil out of my RT by mid-week next week. That oil has almost 4,000 miles on it. Interested to see what the shearing has dropped to. Will also have them check for contaminants including any metals. I'll post the results when I get it.
    Sounds good Doc. Been wanting to see a lab report on the BRP Blend for some time as I've never used it.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I cannot find the weight on the BP container. All it says is summer blend. I am thinking it is 15-40 or 15-50. Need to know before I send it off. It is the BRP semi-synthetic from the dealer. Anybody know for sure?

Spyder Garage

BRP parts guy called back and said it was 5-40. That is what I put on the form.

Spyder Garage

BRP parts guy called back and said it was 5-40. That is what I put on the form.
    The parts guy is correct.

oil msds.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The parts guy is correct.

oil msds.jpg
    It would be interesting to know who packages the oil for BRP. I know of only one company, right off the top, that makes a 5-40 BLEND and thats Bel Ray. May be others but this is the only one I know of. Several make full synthetic in 5-40. Is this the same stuff that comes in the kit for 998's?

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    It would be interesting to know who packages the oil for BRP. I know of only one company, right off the top, that makes a 5-40 BLEND and thats Bel Ray. May be others but this is the only one I know of. Several make full synthetic in 5-40. Is this the same stuff that comes in the kit for 998's?
    So you don't believe BRP's marketing dept. that after years of research and millions of dollars in expenses. They created their own blend of engine oil.

http://xpslubricants.com/news_detail_allprod.asp?id=2

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HELP ME OUT ON THIS

So you don't believe BRP's marketing dept. that after years of research and millions of dollars in expenses. They created their own blend of engine oil.

http://xpslubricants.com/news_detail_allprod.asp?id=2
    ..........Billy do you think BRP makes / creates their own OIL............What would be the reasoning to do that...........Not cost saving ......................GM has a heck of a lot more Money to play with and they arn't creating their own OIL.....neither are Ford or Chrysler etc......Hiring professionals to create a Product that you can put your name on is Standard practice .......................................Unless I totally mis-understood your POST on this ????????......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..........Billy do you think BRP makes / creates their own OIL............What would be the reasoning to do that...........Not cost saving ......................GM has a heck of a lot more Money to play with and they arn't creating their own OIL.....neither are Ford or Chrysler etc......Hiring professionals to create a Product that you can put your name on is Standard practice .......................................Unless I totally mis-understood your POST on this ????????......Mike
    That's what BRP says. Of course they don't make their own oil. Of course they would have hired some other company to do the development. But they claim it cost BRP 2 million dollars and 3 years to develop their line of engine oils. So if you believe what BRP says. They are not sticking a different label on someone elses jug.

I am just repeating what I have read. Believe what you will.

2018 F3 LIMITED

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

I was at my dealer one day when he got an oil order, it came on a Castrol pallet.

Spyder Garage

Default DO YOU REMEMBER THIS

That's what BRP says. Of course they don't make their own oil. Of course they would have hired some other company to do the development. But they claim it cost BRP 2 million dollars and 3 years to develop their line of engine oils. So if you believe what BRP says. They are not sticking a different label on someone elses jug.

I am just repeating what I have read. Believe what you will.
    Billy back in the beginning BRP used to say " if you don't use FULL SYNTHETIC " the Spyder will self destruct .....Yes that is an exaggeration, but they haven't changed anything in their metallurgy in the engines to make them a lot stronger so you can use inferior ( read that as BLENDED ) OIL.......They having someone create an oil to their specs and they are putting their name on it .......And they are not the only company that does this .............Just sayin.....Mike

Spyder Garage

I have to agree with Mike on this. Napa sells their "house oil" that is actually Valvoline in the bottle under their label. I would venture a guess that BRP spent all that money finding the best blends, then hiring someone to bottle it under their name. I see nothing at all wrong with them doing that. And I think their oil is great. Unless this oil report shows me something that I don't like, I will probably continue with their oil, regardless of who blends it for them.

Super Senior Member
    Spyder Garage

Had 1 dealer say i needed to change oil at 600 miles for RTS 2014>>>>another dealer told me 3000 miles>>which one is correct????? Do all dealers charge same amount of money on 1st maintenance?? Thks in advance
    2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze
    Inspector Gadgets cupholder & rear deck brake light

Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    Had 1 dealer say i needed to change oil at 600 miles for RTS 2014>>>>another dealer told me 3000 miles>>which one is correct????? Do all dealers charge same amount of money on 1st maintenance?? Thks in advance
    ..........................Dear Lily......it's 3000 miles for first service as stated in your OWNERS manual. This the most critical OIL change you will do......I recommend the sooner the better ......At the beginning of the life of your Spyder the engine sort goes thru a self cleaning process ......using the oil to do so.......that oil gets very dirty very fast.......so does the filter.....So the initial change gets the bad stuff out and the sooner the better.......In reality unless you are a High mileage rider you will only change oil and filter once a year ( maybe more if you live where you can ride 10 to 12 mo.a year ) ...The new 2014 -1330 Ace engine has an extended oil and filter change schedule , but personally I use FULL SYNTHETIC OIL and won't go more than 6000 miles without changing it with the filter..........And about Dealer charges ......they are all over the board on that ....shop around if you can, or better yet learn how.......Or ask here for someone to give you a hand ........it's been done before .............Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    I was at my dealer one day when he got an oil order, it came on a Castrol pallet.
    A while back it was generally accepted that Castrol was the supplier and that the summer BLEND was a 10-40 and the winter SYNTHETIC was a 5-40.

Castrol is one of the few that make a motorcycle synthetic in 5-40. However, not long ago when I mentioned the above, someone (forget who) corrected me and said BRP had changed their supplier a couple years ago. Thats why I mentioned Bel Ray above.

How long ago was it that you saw the pallet of Castrol?

Do I believe BRP makes their own oil? Absolutely not!
    Do I believe they spent a million or so developing it? Absolutely not...marketing hype is the name of the game.

How will we know how good their Blended oil is? When DocHumprey gets his lab report back, that will go a long way to tell us what the quality is. If it comes back showing the viscosity is still 40W or near that, I'll post an apology to everyone and beg BRP's forgiveness for doubting them!

Furthermore, I'll provide a prepaid test kit to anyone who does their own oil changes and has 9000 miles on the Blend if they will send it in and post the results here.

You'll need to get the sample immediately when it starts draining (not out of the drain container as that would be contaminated), or preferably siphon some out with a clean hose.

Any takers?

PS: I'm not knocking BRP oil. I'm saying that I firmly believe that NO approved motorcycle oil, whether its Blended, full synthetic, or Dino, will make it to 4000 miles maintaining its viscosity of 40W in either the 998 or 1330 motor.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Billy back in the beginning BRP used to say " if you don't use FULL SYNTHETIC " the Spyder will self destruct .....Yes that is an exaggeration, but they haven't changed anything in their metallurgy in the engines to make them a lot stronger so you can use inferior ( read that as BLENDED ) OIL.......They having someone create an oil to their specs and they are putting their name on it .......And they are not the only company that does this .............Just sayin.....Mike
    In the Spyder beginning BRP recommended full synthetic 5w40 oil. I strongly suspect it was a product from another vendor with BRP's label on it. If you believe BRP in 2009 they rolled out their own oil. Synthetic changed to 0w40 from 5w40 and blended changed to 5w40 from 10w40. Because the oil changed the recommendation for use changed. Synthetic was recommended for winter use (snowmobiles) and blended recommended for summer use (Spyders, ATVs, Seadoos, etc.) It had nothing to do with changes to the engine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So what about full synthetic being to slick for the clutch? Or is that a bunch of ?

Spyder Garage

Default HOOEY

So what about full synthetic being to slick for the clutch? Or is that a bunch of ?
    .....I've been using Rotella 5 W/ 40 full Syn in my 2014 RT and have not had any issues in the past 4500 + miles .......Note this OIL is only certified for the 1330 Ace engine ....Mike ......................................PS...for you bargain hunters , this sells for about $23 per Gal @ Walmart
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-04-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Spyder Garage

Its a bunch of Phooy as long as the oil is motorcycle certified.
    BRP still sells the synthetic as far as I know, and you've got
    Amsoil, Valvoline, Castrol, and a bunch of others. Take a look
    here for cycle oils:

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...-Oil-s/283.htm

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am considering going to Castrol T4 5W40 full synthetic motorcycle oil JASO-MA-2 API SL rating... anyone else using this in their RT ?

Spyder Garage

Default Sample

I hope the lab didn't lose my oil sample. It was only going one state over. Maybe tomorrow......

Spyder Garage

I hope the lab didn't lose my oil sample. It was only going one state over. Maybe tomorrow......
    Doc, I've had them take up to two weeks, but usually its much quicker. Should have it sometime this week...hopefully.

In case you don't have this, here is a viscosity chart for you:
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/
    Last edited by ulflyer; 10-09-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Awesome! Thanks!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Amsoil

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    From the report you should be fine as it looks like a quality oil
    Amsoil is not a full synthetic it is 100% synthetic.Does anyone in really know the difference between the full and the 100%?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bgame View Post
    SYNTHETIC OIL MYTHS

Myth: Once you switch to synthetic oil you can never switch back. This is one of the most persistent myths about synthetic oil—and completely untrue. You can switch back and forth at any time. In fact, synthetic blends are simply a mixture of synthetic and conventional oils. It is advisable that you use the same oil for top-ups if needed, thereby giving you the best protection from the oil that you have chosen.
    Myth: You shouldn’t use synthetic oil in an older vehicle. The myth is rooted in the idea that synthetic oil is “slipperier,” lower in viscosity, or not as compatible with seals and will therefore leak or leak more in places conventional oil might not. Again, completely untrue. Synthetic oils will enhance the engine protection in older vehicles just as they do for new engines.
    Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil before you start using synthetic oil. Again, there’s no manufacturer we’re aware of that makes this recommendation. Mercedes, Porsche, Corvette, some Cadillacs, Volkswagen, Hyundai and many other manufacturers’ cars come from the factory with synthetic oil.
    Myth: Using a synthetic oil voids a car’s warranty. Untrue. The only engines that specifically exclude the use of a synthetic motor oil are some Mazda rotary engines.
    Myth: Synthetics made from Group III base oils are not true synthetics and are not as good as PAO-based synthetics in Group IV. Again, untrue. Synthetics made from Group III oil can, in some cases, outperform those made in Group IV oils in some areas of performance.
    Maybe some one has learned something from your post..
    Last edited by Bill_1; 10-12-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mobil 1 vs. AMSOIL Independent ASTM Certified Laboratory Testing

Mobil 1 vs. AMSOIL
    Independent ASTM Certified Laboratory Testing of the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance vs. AMSOIL (and nine other major brand name motor oils) has been completed. AMSOIL is the clear winner.

Mobil 1 EP Evaporates 38% Faster Than AMSOIL, Mobil 1 EP Allows 18% More
    Cold Start Friction and Mobil 1 EP Allows 22% MORE Wear

In addition, on the TFOUT test, the "Thin Film Oxygen Uptake Test" (ASTM D-
    4742), which provides a very good correlation to the drain interval
    capability of an oil, AMSOIL passed the 500 minute cut-off mark with flying
    colors and still going strong, while Mobil 1 fell
    short at only 469 minutes. Once again, we say that Mobil 1 is a good
    quality product, however it does not compare to AMSOIL and the test data
    clearly shows this.