Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1330 OIL REPORT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Early SpyderLover posts suggested Mobil 1 (motorcycle) cause permanent clutch damage on the Spyder. I don't know if that is still the case, but wanted to throw this out there.
    Most likely they were using the auto formula. I have never had an issue with the motorcycle formula and clutches.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If Scotty said it; I'd believe it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Interesting read.

Looking at my owners manual is states "SL, SJ, SH, SG, or higher" Nothing about "API SM rating, which is expressly prohibited by BRP"

Mobil's web site states "According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is of the following quality level:
    API SH
    API CF"
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Great report. Thanks for posting it. I was concerned too.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks..!!

glad there are those testing things out. Brp must have run some tests upping the 998 oil change 1,600 miles to every 4,600 miles. But good to know the 1330 spec's are close according to your report...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Thinking 9300 miles between oil change is a bit to long I changed it at 6000 miles (9000 on the Spyder) and sent a sample to Blackstone Labs to be tested. Received the report yesterday. Everything came back positive and with a recommendation to wait until 8000 for the next change.
    Looks like BRP got this one correct

I changed over to Mobil 1 10-40 and will wait the 9300 miles and have it tested again
    Please post this in the break in thread which started yesterday. We specifically had a question as to whether or not we wait 9300 miles after the break in service or just do the oil change at 9300 miles and go from there. I like to err on the side of conservatism, so suggested I would be doing my next oil change at 9300 instead of 12,300. Now, it looks like I will just go with my annual start up oil change service at the beginning of every riding season, unless I exceed the 9300 mile limits.

Thanks for posting your results.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Interesting read.

Looking at my owners manual is states "SL, SJ, SH, SG, or higher" Nothing about "API SM rating, which is expressly prohibited by BRP"

Mobil's web site states "According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is of the following quality level:
    API SH
    API CF"
    There appears to be a mix up of requirements for different engines. All owners manuals for all Spyder models and all years for the 998 engine have a warning not to use any engine oil with an API rating of SM. Serious clutch damage will result. The owners manual for the 1330 engine has no such restriction. Since this discussion is for the 1330, SM rating is mute.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

For those who want to use Mobil1 4T, Advance Auto has it on sale for $8.98. It may be ended by now...not sure.

I've always been concerned that its just MA, not MA2, but obviously a number of riders are using it with no clutch issues.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I have been trying, but so far no luck. The number for that is 8.36 and the range is listed at 6.0-9.7
    I'm really puzzled; at 8.36 the viscosity has dropped down into the 20W zone, according to: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

To further confuse me, a major lab I've been using, ALS, reports numbers in the 11.6 and below as "caution" and once I got a 10.1 and they flagged it "danger".

The question I've never been able to get answered is how low can the viscosity shear down to and still be viable?

Obviously, the two labs have different views, and BRP says 9300 miles is good. Have to admit, Blackstone's report makes one feel comfortable with whatever oil one is using.

Maybe I'll sent my next test to both labs and see what the results are.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 07-31-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

To throw my hat into the discussion...
    I too am a big beleiver in full synthetic oil and use it in all my vehicles.
    I just had my 2014 RT-L in for it's first service and had them use BRP's full synthetic when they did the oil change.
    Now I've only put about 200 miles on it since but it seems to me that it doesn't shift as smooth as it did with the blended oil. (a little more clunky)
    I'm off on a nice 10 day road trip, dipping into the US for a few days (that's right, the Canadians are coming) so I'll get a better feel for it.
    Just wonder if maybe it's to slippery for the tranny???
    Has anyone else gone to full synthetic in the 1330???
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    To throw my hat into the discussion...
    I too am a big beleiver in full synthetic oil and use it in all my vehicles.
    I just had my 2014 RT-L in for it's first service and had them use BRP's full synthetic when they did the oil change.
    Now I've only put about 200 miles on it since but it seems to me that it doesn't shift as smooth as it did with the blended oil. (a little more clunky)
    I'm off on a nice 10 day road trip, dipping into the US for a few days (that's right, the Canadians are coming) so I'll get a better feel for it.
    Just wonder if maybe it's to slippery for the tranny???
    Has anyone else gone to full synthetic in the 1330???
    I used Amsoil for one 4000 mile run but could tell no difference in shifting from the previous fill of Castrol Blend. Now running Rotella T (dino) with 2000 mi on it and can't tell any diff.
    On BITOG forum, a lot of bike owners say they can definitely tell a difference with certain oils sometimes its dino only and sometimes synthetic, so I suppose it might make a difference.
    On my previous 998 I thought it shifted smoother when I used Castrol Blend (which some say is what BRP Blend is).

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now the my confusion is so clear to me thanks guys.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL MY .03 WORTH

......This oil has been OK'd by PEOPLE WHO KNOW OIL( here ) .......and is the least expensive FULL SYN that I have found ....Rotella T-6 5w 40 sells at Walmart for approx. $22 per Gallon..................This oil meets or exceeds all BRP warranty requirements ...............Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......This oil has been OK'd by PEOPLE WHO KNOW OIL( here ) .......and is the least expensive FULL SYN that I have found ....Rotella T-6 5w 40 sells at Walmart for approx. $22 per Gallon..................This oil meets or exceeds all BRP warranty requirements ...............Mikeguyver
    Mike is the Rotella "JASO MA or MA2"? Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I just had my 14 RT serviced. I asked for full synthetic. They called and said they had none in stock. I asked for Amsoil 10-40. The reply was, BRP specifies 5-40. They do not stock the BRP full synthetic. So I ok'd the BRP semi-syn.. I have to think about what to use next time. They will NOT use anything but 5-40. Only known oil I know of is Bel Ray, and Shell Rotella. BTW my first 3,000 mile service was $231 with tax. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Mike is the Rotella "JASO MA or MA2"? Tom
    For whatever it is worth, Wikipedia says:

JASO-MA[edit]

JASO is an acronym that stands for "The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization." Among other things, they set standards for oil to be used in motorcycles.
    Shell Rotella T 15W-40 conventional oil does list on its packaging JASO MA as one of the specifications it meets. Note that the 10W-30 conventional oil does not list JASO-MA.
    The newer fully synthetic T6 5W-40 oil lists JASO-MA compliance on its packaging and on the Rotella website.

I could not find this info on the Rotella website.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

You Minnesota guy's are pretty darn smart you betcha!!!!!

Grandpa Pete
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGE

I just had my 14 RT serviced. I asked for full synthetic. They called and said they had none in stock. I asked for Amsoil 10-40. The reply was, BRP specifies 5-40. They do not stock the BRP full synthetic. So I ok'd the BRP semi-syn.. I have to think about what to use next time. They will NOT use anything but 5-40. Only known oil I know of is Bel Ray, and Shell Rotella. BTW my first 3,000 mile service was $231 with tax. Tom
    ........Tom, other than having to take off the rightside mirror , a couple of panels below that , and having a 36 mm socket to get the oil cover off ..........If you use the Rotella T-6 + a filter you will only spend $55 and will still have 2 1/2 qts. left over for the next oil change .............$ 180 buys quite a bit of gas ....Good Luck .....Mike

Spyder Garage

If they used BRP semi-syn, its a 10-40. Walmart stocks Mobil1, Valvoline, and Castrol motorcycle oil. Heres another site if you want a wider selection of oils:

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...-Oil-s/283.htm

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Probably going to switch to Mobile 1 for my RTS next change, too. Glad you ran the analysis on it! Good info. Where is everyone buying their oil filter kits for the 1330? Is the dealer the only place?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    If they used BRP semi-syn, its a 10-40.
    I am sorry you are incorrect BRP Blended is 5W-40 it has not been 10W-40 since the new formula was phased in in 2008-9. You're 5 yrs behind.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I am sorry you are incorrect BRP Blended is 5W-40 it has not been 10W-40 since the new formula was phased in in 2008-9. You're 5 yrs behind.

Good to know. Thanks Billy.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Went to Wally World today. Checked out the Rotella T6. $25.50 for a gallon. Good price. Tom

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage