Spyder Garage

Default My Bajaron swaybar installation

Howdy,

I have a 2014 RT LTD and decided to get the Bajaron sway bar. Ordered it from Lamonster (Twice now I have placed an order late Friday night US Central, he shipped out on Saturday and I had the item on Monday/Tuesday)

Anyway so I decided to use my pickup truck loading ramps to get the front of the Spyder up high enough to remove and replace the swaybar.

Some of the things I found out when trying to use the ramps with the Spyder.

1. The electronic parking brake, when engaged with the bike on the ramps, DOES NOT have enough grippage to prevent the bike from rolling back down the ramps.

2. Tried to get the bike up on the ramps, leave it in gear, engage the parking brake and turn off the engine. No joy. Bike still would roll back down the ramps.

3. Wheel chocks did keep the bike in place but then its a two person job, rider stays on the brake while the chocks are put into place. Oh and don't use cheap plastic ones. The will crush after a few minutes. Get solid rubber ones.

What I wound up doing is all the work of removing panels, nuts and bolts while the bike was level in the driveway. When the sway bar was ready to come out, that is when I drove her up the ramps while a friend placed the chocks and removed/replaced the sway bar. I stayed on the bike and the brake during this time (maybe 1 minute).

After the new bar was in place, rolled her off the ramps and put everything back together. At no time during my installation did I have to actually get under the bike.

Took a quick ride around the neighborhood and was impressed at the change. In a tight, quick circle I didn't feel like I was going to be thrown from the bull.

Enjoy and thanks for your time in reading my little story.

--Allen

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a few more weeks of riding before Winter comes and the sway bar is on my list to do.Thanks for the tips

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

park brake may need some adjusting..still need to block it anyway. New method..never heard of the ramp and truck but great way to get the hight needed. Congrats..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Didn't know you really needed to remove any of the tupperware to install the sway bar... I'll put mine up on HD jack stands for the install
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Didn't know you really needed to remove any of the tupperware to install the sway bar... I'll put mine up on HD jack stands for the install
    Yeap. I can only speak to the installation on a 2014 RT. I followed the directions which call for removing 3 pieces of tupperware on each side of the bike.

Even up on jack stands you will still need to remove those 3 pieces. One of the pieces actually extends down to around the bend in the sway bar. If you don't remove that piece then you won't have access to getting the channel blocks out. To remove that one piece you have to remove two before it.

From Lamont's website... http://lamonstergarage.com/pdf/swaybarRT2014.pdf

Take a look at the end of the doc in Diagram #1. The piece that I am referring to is #308 and #309. You can see in the diagram, part #308 there is a U shaped space near #69 and #82. That is the part that covers the sway bar channel and the blocks in the channel.

Spyder Garage

I just installed mine today. The instructions were very detailed, and made the job simple.

To test it out, I took a nice 75 mile ride through some good twisty roads and tried some highway behind an 18 wheeler with plenty of wind turbulence. All I can say is WOW, what a difference! Really makes the bike a pleasure to ride, no getting blown around by trucks and handles like it's on rails in the corners.

Thanks to Ron for such an excellent product!

Gene

2015 Honda Goldwing Comfort/Audio

**SOLD**2014 RT Limited, Black Currant
    B
    1975 Yamaha RD-125, Red
    1500 miles, all stock time capsule!

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

any idea of who installs Bajaron swaybar ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    any idea of who installs Bajaron swaybar ?
    Any decent mechanic can do the job. It does not require a 'Spyder Tech'.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Finished mine last weekend. I'd rate it at a difficulty of a 4 out of 10.
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

I also just received the links, which I knew nothing about before I ordered and installed the sway bar. Will simply remove the plastic ones and replace with BajaRon's. Should take no more than 15 minutes once I get her on the ramps.
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad