Spyder Garage

Default Pros & Cons of higher or lower tire pressure on RSS

Alright guys...I searched on this and even went through the first 10 pages of search results.

I am specifically looking for tire pressure differences on RS/RSS models. Nearly all the tire pressure threads are on RT/RTS models.

When I am trying to find out is what people with the sport models keep their tire pressures at. I know what the manufacturer recommendations are for fronts and rear. But, I believe I read somewhere that there are pros and cons to the higher range of recommended pressures and lower range.

Something along the lines of higher = firmer or bouncier? But what else? And lower pressure would equal more meat on the road/better launching/more traction?...but less mpg?

So what would be recommended for the sportiest and most performance oriented riding for the fronts and rear?
    2012 Neutron Green RSS SE5 | Two Brothers Dual Carbon Fiber exhaust | BRP Xenon HID kit! | CalSci Tinted Shorty windshield| Throttlemeister CC | Baja Ron sway bar | TricLED halo ground effects kit | Sena SMH10's |

The wifey on Tessa the day we brought her home!

Spyder Garage

Keep mine at 20 in the front and 25 in the rear . No problems I have experience , no abnormal wear on the front rear tire is wearing flat and even but mainly cause of me loving to hear the tire spin The rear tire even though it's wearing it is even with no leads tread in the middle like it is over inflated . Little more pressure in The front to make sure those $500 plus rims from hitting the road and damaging the bead. No abnormal wear from the front tires either .

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

Default air pressure

i keep 19 lbs. in the fronts- improves handling.
    24 lbs. in the rear- rides good- has greatly extended tire life. i ride solo.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

The harder you ride, the more a correct tire pressure depends on weight. The heavier RT's are expected to ride nice and not handle so good so relatively lower tire pressures may be more acceptable.

I recommend 18-20 psi in the front and 28-32 in the rear. If you're light I'd go with the lower numbers. If heavy I'd trend toward the higher numbers. I also think it is a great idea to get the equalizer system so you can air both front tires to the same PSI. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal. But our Spyders are quite light and equalizing the front tire pressures, I think, is worthwhile.

Higher tire pressures may give you better fuel mileage. If you're running a stock rear tire, higher pressures will certainly wear the center of that 2 ply rear tire out more quickly. This is not a problem with an aftermarket 4 ply tread tire.

Higher pressure will give you quicker steering and better holding power in turns. It will lower tread temperatures and this theoretically will lead to longer tire life but this is probably negligible, at best, on our Spyders.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The manual on my 2011 RSS says 15-18 psi. It is also important that the pressure is the same in both front tires.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Have been told

The new 2013-2014 RS-S Spyder tyres should be pressurized optimally to 20lbs front and 30lbs rear.

I have deflated all the stock BPR air, out of my tyres and now have them inflated with the awesome nitrogen gas.
    Not sure what difference this will be, but hopefully this will make keeping them filled to the proper poundage, much easier.

Chas
    Last edited by ChasCS; 08-06-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default It's all about you..!!

you have good references here but you will have to try them out. It's a handling or comfort type thing. But you are the one that has to find that perfect point for you. You don't ryde like I do....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Burned the factory rear tire out in under 4K miles(no hole shots. Just aggressive cornering). Went to a Nitto on the rear. 15000 plus miles with only a few thousand to go. I found the Nitto wore in the center inflated to canam's recommended specs. The Nitto is more of a car tire and only run 17 psi in it. Much stiffer than the factory junk and will wear excessively if overinflated to canam's recommendations. This will be the last season on the factory fronts running the middle range pressure canam recommends. I push incredibly hard in the curves and have yet to have a single cruiser or spyder stay with me. I would say your riding style has a lot to do with the pressure you should run. Too much pressure in the rear and it will lose grip sooner cornering. Often on a left hand corner My butt is so far off the seat that I can barely reach the brake pedal with my right toe. It's important to try to keep your butt back as far as possible as well as it will break loose sooner kicking the nanny in if you're scooched too far forward. I would say if you're just cruising, the middle range of the psi spectrum on factory tires would be just fine. Just my experience.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtspyder View Post
    Burned the factory rear tire out in under 4K miles(no hole shots. Just aggressive cornering). Went to a Nitto on the rear. 15000 plus miles with only a few thousand to go. I found the Nitto wore in the center inflated to canam's recommended specs. The Nitto is more of a car tire and only run 17 psi in it. Much stiffer than the factory junk and will wear excessively if overinflated to canam's recommendations. This will be the last season on the factory fronts running the middle range pressure canam recommends. I push incredibly hard in the curves and have yet to have a single cruiser or spyder stay with me. I would say your riding style has a lot to do with the pressure you should run. Too much pressure in the rear and it will lose grip sooner cornering. Often on a left hand corner My butt is so far off the seat that I can barely reach the brake pedal with my right toe. It's important to try to keep your butt back as far as possible as well as it will break loose sooner kicking the nanny in if you're scooched too far forward. I would say if you're just cruising, the middle range of the psi spectrum on factory tires would be just fine. Just my experience.

Which Nitto tire did you use? I have been looking at them, as I will need to replace my rear tire very soon.
    Rick
    New Braunfels, TX
    2009 GS Silver and Black
    Kuryakyn Grips and Risers
    Spyderpops missing air dam
    Spyderpops Air Management system
    Madstad Windshield
    Rivco Floor board and Highway pegs

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The Nitto is the NT450. Was pretty cheap. Had it mounted and balanced by a local MC shop. They are a dynamite shop that specializes in high end super bikes. Didn't trust the dealer to do it. You'll like it I'm sure. Great grip and long wear.