Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of trading my Harley for a Can Am RT. Tell me how much you love yours

I have a very blinged out Harley which I love and have put $$$ into. It's been a great 6 years but I am getting very tired of being uncomfortable after just 2 hours of riding (the bike is a show bike, gets tons of attention and looks awesome but there is no comfort factor). I'm also tired of dragging along a saddlebag full of cleaning supplies to have the bike pristine to enter into bike shows.

I rode an RT at Americade and although it's much different than a 2-wheeler, I liked it a lot. I could see myself enjoying road trips a lot more with the comfort factor. I would even get the trailer so I could stop shipping my luggage to every rally I attend.

Tell me how much you love (or hate?) yours.

If this isn't the place for this thread I apologize, please re-direct.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Right place, right bike!

We too were a Harley family for a number of years. Love our Spyders and ride FAR more miles than we used to. Any excuse.

Welcome, enjoy the ride.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Oh no..!!

this is the right place..!! I am not an RT ryder they will chime in for sure but for the whole ryding experience you will love it and may not miss a thing from your past. One warning, from what you have done with your HD, you may still be carrying cleaning supplies and spending big $$$ farkeling your RT.. But the comfort and ryde will be oh so much more fun...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by studiopeg View Post
    I have a very blinged out Harley which I love and have put $$$ into. It's been a great 6 years but I am getting very tired of being uncomfortable after just 2 hours of riding (the bike is a show bike, gets tons of attention and looks awesome but there is no comfort factor). I'm also tired of dragging along a saddlebag full of cleaning supplies to have the bike pristine to enter into bike shows.

I rode an RT at Americade and although it's much different than a 2-wheeler, I liked it a lot. I could see myself enjoying road trips a lot more with the comfort factor. I would even get the trailer so I could stop shipping my luggage to every rally I attend.

Thanks!

This is the right place.

First off if you get an RT and trailer you will still be a ROCK STAR, people love to talk to you if you are on a Spyder.

The comfort factor from a 2 wheeler to a Spyder is wild, you can actually sit back and relax and enjoy the ride, and the scenery. just don't try to put the kickstand down when you park it , you will spend the whole day trying to find it.

I have a 2014 RT-S with the factory trailer and that is the way to travel (really nice when you have whatever you need with you).

Come on aboard and start the enjoyable ride.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of trading?!

I had 2003 Yamaha Midnight venture. Loved it. Most comfortable bike we owned of 3. Put a bolt on trike kit on4-5 years ago and was happy but other issues got me to trade it this spring for a 2013 RT-S. We love it. The Yamaha was ok triked but the fun factor was not the same and my wifes ride was not as good. She says this is the best ride for her of all 4 bikes. I love the power steering and reverse! My shoulders don't bother at all now and they did on occasion with the trike because you have to steer it/muscle it. The CD that came with the spyder said to lean into the turns and I have done that. the steering is very responsive and I feel the ride is more 2 wheelish so the fun factor is back. Took awhile to adjust to it but I love the Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We love ours!
    (Was that succinct, and to the point; or what? )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I came from BMW touring bikes this spring and although I like the Spyder well enough to ride back and forth to work, I've yet to take it on a really long trip (Americade is about the farthest it's been from home). My first really long trip comes up next month, so ask me again in three weeks and I'll tell you.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I went from a Honda to a RT-S SM5. We love it. You should try to wait on the 2015 models, should be some nice upgrades added.

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Default IMHO

Spyder RT =s PRICELESS..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

. . .

. . .

Thanks!
    Welcome! You came to a site called "Spyder LOVERS" and want to know how much we love out Spyders????? Really???

I love my 2014 RTS and before I bought it in April I loved my 2011 RTS!! You've test-ridden one, so you know how they are different from a 2-wheeler. After you've put about 500 miles on one you'll actually have the hang of it. As to comfort, there are lots of farkles that will help in any way you need, and some just to change a Spyder's looks, or just for fun. I highly recommend going with the 2014 RT, with the bigger engine. I hope you'll stick around this site, do some research and ask questions. Then when you get yours, just post some pics and tell us how much you love it!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used to ride two wheel and now is the best ride. I will not go back for sure.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I doubt there's a Spyder Haters forum

So far so good. I am looking around at threads to see what kinds of problems people have. So far I've not seen anything major. People like to install sway bars, that looks like the biggest mod, but seems to improve cornering.

I would definitely wait until the end of the season, or the beginning of next season. I need this one last season on my bike, but am ready to make the switch.

That's the awesome thing about Americade... you can test ride just about anything there. I would not have considered a Spyder (because I hated the trike I tested) except I had to kill a couple of hours and wanted to see the difference. MUCH different than the awful Harley trike I tested

Now quit telling me that I can farkle a Spyder out... I just love mods and bling (as you can see by my current bike) and would probably start it all over again. Just tell me they come plain and you can't dress them up

sig.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default I LOVE my RT LTD

Best, most comfortable bike I have EVER owned! I dont worry about being caught in the rain. I can relax and enjoy the ride a lot more . With the wide front stance the bike is way more visible to other motorists as well
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Light
    • Spyderpops Bumpskid with TricLED LED kit
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Registered Users Top End Unlimited's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Studiopeg, I just traded a HD Ultra in for my Spyder and though it's only been a couple of weeks, I won't go back. I rode all day Sunday and never even had a problem with comfort. I have had Harleys all my life and they are great bikes, but as for me I'm here to stay.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I doubt there's a Spyder Haters forum

So far so good. I am looking around at threads to see what kinds of problems people have. So far I've not seen anything major. People like to install sway bars, that looks like the biggest mod, but seems to improve cornering.

I would definitely wait until the end of the season, or the beginning of next season. I need this one last season on my bike, but am ready to make the switch.

That's the awesome thing about Americade... you can test ride just about anything there. I would not have considered a Spyder (because I hated the trike I tested) except I had to kill a couple of hours and wanted to see the difference. MUCH different than the awful Harley trike I tested

Now quit telling me that I can farkle a Spyder out... I just love mods and bling (as you can see by my current bike) and would probably start it all over again. Just tell me they come plain and you can't dress them up

sig.jpg
    Very nice HD!! If you don't want to farkle, you've come to the wrong place. Just wait till you get a Spyder and go the SpyderFest next spring. Bring lots of money!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Don't know why I am replying!
    Everyone else has said all that you need to hear.
    WELCOME ABOARD!
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Default Love it!

My last rig was a Victory Vision, rode my RT SE5 and will never go back to a two wheeler. Enjoy your change and you too will become a fan.
    Chase the wind every chance you get.....! 2013 Circuit Yellow RT-SE5
    Mods: Bump Skid, foam grips; Tric-LED 3rd & 4th tail lights, Mirror turn signals, & front fender lights; CB, Shortee CB & Radio Antennas, NBV Highway Pegs, USA & CA flags on Rivco flag mounts, Black widow frunk logo, Utopia Driver backrest, Sheepskin Driver Seat pad, running & brake light license frame, Chrome Luggage Rack, Ram mount on dashboard for iPad Mini for GPS, Race Tech shocks all around.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wore out three Harleys. Today, my knees are shot; runs in the family. It was either give up riding or go three wheeler. I compared the Spyder, the Honda Trike and the TriGlide. My assessment? The Spyder beat the others in features, power, stability and value.

Spyder Garage

to the site and to the party. You have a very beautiful HD.

I also like 's. Owned over forty assorted two wheelers before I had to go three wheel only.

My signature says a lot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Denny B. View Post
    I wore out three Harleys. Today, my knees are shot; runs in the family. It was either give up riding or go three wheeler. I compared the Spyder, the Honda Trike and the TriGlide. My assessment? The Spyder beat the others in features, power, stability and value.
    Same here, we love our RTS!
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

As others have said - I love my RT and I also came from a Harley (yours looks fantastic). I will not be going back. It is so nice powering through a curve finding sand and not worring about sliding off the road. If fact I was on a group ride two weeks ago and one of the riders was on my old Harley. The trip took us down a grass driveway and he fell twice. one of the other riders was on a gold wing and he almost dropped it (we helped him keep it up). With the Spyder - no problem and we could park it anywhere.

You will love it.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You know how sometimes you get that "gotta have it now!" feeling? grrrrr

Spyder Garage

I went from a BMW K12 to a RS to a RT, then, after 4 years, back to two wheels. If you opt for a Spyder, it will take you at least 200 to 300 miles to adjust to it - find back roads, not the superslab to learn the Spyder's tricks.

Talk to the folks on this forum to make sure your dealer of choice is worth a whit - that's the #1 issue with the Spyder. If you don't mind riding all day to get to a dealer, or have your own bike lift, it may not matter to you. It did to me.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of trading my Harley for a Can Am RT. Tell me how much you love yours

Thanks!
    I bought a 2014 RT Ltd a couple of weeks ago, enjoyed the test ride. It has about 15 miles on it. I do not trust it mechanically and it does not appeal to me when I see it in the garage. Probably won't ride it again. I'll stay with BMW bikes for now, looking at a KTM.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree....

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    This is the right place.

First off if you get an RT and trailer you will still be a ROCK STAR, people love to talk to you if you are on a Spyder.

The comfort factor from a 2 wheeler to a Spyder is wild, you can actually sit back and relax and enjoy the ride, and the scenery. just don't try to put the kickstand down when you park it , you will spend the whole day trying to find it.

I have a 2014 RT-S with the factory trailer and that is the way to travel (really nice when you have whatever you need with you).

Come on aboard and start the enjoyable ride.

Cruzr Joe
    with Cruzr Joe...."come aboard and start the enjoyable ride." - The 2014 RT is an AWESOME machine with the 1330cc triple cylinder engine and 6 speed trans ! Good luck with your decision...
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac