Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That'll give him the time he needs to save up some more pennies!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Different in many ways

I find it most curious that anyone who owns and rides a Spyder would be so intrigued by the Slingshot. It is a car that you drive, not a machine (like a bike, sled, ATV or PWC) that you RIDE. This is a very different interaction between the driver/rider and the vehicle. Far less interactive for the rider, you can just sit there, shift and steer. Do that on a Spyder and it takes so much away from the experience, at least for me.

Sure it will be fun as hell, especially for those who used to race/drive go-karts, low cg and super wide stance, sure to rail around the corners. But will other vehicles be able to see you? That might be scary.

Why three wheels? Likely to escape federal crash standards for a 4-wheel vehicle. And all other laws regarding 4-wheel vehicles. This will be considered a motorcycle.......curious to see how the helmet laws play out in each state. I sure wouldn't be in one without a helmet!

The comment about this vehicle causing BRP to loosen their grip on the nanny fails to consider the vehicle differences - the Spyder is MUCH narrower so the Spyder will lift and tip far easier. The nanny is set the way it is to keep you from flipping on your head! So you can just forget about getting rid of the Spyder nanny, foolish wish. It is there for a very good reason. To keep you alive.

I did not catch the part about being able to turn off the stability control on the Slingshot. This might pose many issues, other than people getting in over their heads - curious to see how this pans out. Might tend to spin out instead of flip over, that would be nice, no fun to have a 1700 pound machine land on you, bad deal, even at 700 pounds.

The Slingshot pricing is lower than I expected, my guess was $30,000. Seeing how it is Polaris, I believe they will sell a boat load of them. Personally I see it as an even more dangerous machine to be out on a public road with than a Spyder, but that is what thrill-seekers want - danger - and adrenaline. This machine should satisfy them on both fronts. So far one has to applaud Polaris for doing something fairly different - not that a machine like this hasn't been done before, but nobody with a track record like Polaris and the resources of Polaris has done it. Now, for their sake, let's hope the thing is ready for mass consumption. They have had some miserable product launches over the past ten years or so, at least with sleds, so maybe they have learned their lesson with this new market.

Fun to watch.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that the right scenery can be marvelous!
    In fact; I ride past where the Olympic Bikini Championship Try-Outs are being held, at every opportunity!

She's not behind me; is she?
    Bob, wave to Dee when you see her ............................. Mikeguyver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always do!!

Spyder Garage

I want one. I can drive it on Sundays and Mondays and Tues.....

I can Ryde on those days too.

I NEED ​one. To sit next to my beloved Spyder!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A Supplement; NOT a replacement!

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder's Friend!

I can see how having this AND the Spyder can be the ultimate Toy's R Us in the garage. Want to ride like a motorcycle today with the handlebars....ok get on the spyder. Want to ride it in a car like fashion, get on this. I see Polaris and Can Am as complements to the industry on this, instead of competition.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

The Can Am dealer I purchased my spyder from new also sells the slingshot now. I wonder how many other Can Am dealers also sell the Polaris slingshot.

Spyder Garage

What I find interesting is that on its website Polaris says that the Slingshot is a "motorcycle", not a "car." It doesn't have airbags and other things cars have to have. At the same time BRP calls the Spyder a "roadster", not a "motorcycle."

Ah, well.

It looks pretty neat and I don't think it will actually be competition for the Spyder since they're ridden in totally different ways. But what do I know?

Well, I do know I won't buy one. It looks like a lot of fun, but with my legs there's no way I'm going to try and get in and out of that thing. I'll stick with the Spyder. I do think they'll sell a lot of them, though, and I think you'll start seeing them at a lot of road courses for use in track time.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

A Supplement; NOT a replacement!
    Full disclosure Bob, I don't have any money for the SlingShot, even if I wanted it but I ride my Spyder 6 to 7 days a week. I don't know when I would ever make time to be in the Sling Shot...

Grady Brown III
    President & Founder
    For The Love of Laila...and your baby too
    www.ftllm712.com
    Check out the Events page at www.ftllm712.com for upcoming events

We are Riding to save lives!!!

Facebook

Twitter

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Seen one

One was driving around town tonight not impressed to plasticky
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

Hi Phil,

Re: At the same time BRP calls the Spyder a "roadster", not a "motorcycle."

BRP can call them microwave ovens if they want. It is what each state declares what they are.

Here in Oregon, if it has less than four wheels, it is registered & titled as a motorcycle.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think that the right scenery can be marvelous!
    In fact; I ride past where the Olympic Bikini Championship Try-Outs are being held, at every opportunity!

She's not behind me; is she?
    Not anymore!
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Phil,

Re: At the same time BRP calls the Spyder a "roadster", not a "motorcycle."

BRP can call them microwave ovens if they want. It is what each state declares what they are.

Here in Oregon, if it has less than four wheels, it is registered & titled as a motorcycle.

Jerry Baumchen
    Amen...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I might consider one someday to replace my Corvette, but for now I'll stick with it. It has a roof I can put up if it rains and enough luggage capacity for longer trips.

Spyder Garage

Default initial thought

I know motorcycles as a whole do not offer much protection in an accident. However, based on what I'm seeing on the slingshot I would be a little concerned. It looks like your sitting position puts your head right on the bumper of the truck ahead of you. At least with the Spyder I am riding higher up and just have to worry about getting flattened by the semi's back door.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've yet to buy a vehicle with the intention of wrecking it...
    In a head-to-head match with a Semi; you'l lose regardless of what type of vehicle you're in anyway.

Spyder Garage

I'm tempted to buy one, especially with all the problems I've had with my RS-S... but its not a direct replacement...
    I'd feel the need to have both an RS-S and a Slingshot...

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Definitely see your point there.

I also think that when introducing a new model like this companies are very cautious with horsepower. There gonna give it "just enough" to have some fun factor but governed down to see how the public responds to it safety wise. After a good 5 years of no big issues, I believe they'll start opening up their reserves on putting out 200+hp versions.
    Whether or not they do it, this is the same engine in a Chevy cobalt , there are aftermarket turbo and super charger kit available right now for that eminent and there looks to be plenty room to add one and the horsepower is well over 200

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

The Slingshot has a standard GM drivetrain - that means that in addition to 1700 dealers, most GM dealers would be able to help if something happened on a trip. This is a huge difference from the Spyder. I don't know if I'll like the experience after a few hundred miles, and the exotic feeling wears off (same thoughts I had when I picked up my original RS), but I have a red SL headed to my garage.... I'll keep you posted.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Cheap convertable option

All of the Minneapolis TV stations had a report on the slingshot last night, as there is a Polaris dealer show going on and they had some of the vehicles out at a local test track, so local TV reporters were obviously invited to go for a ride. The reps kept repeating the same catch-phrases, things like "surfing asphalt".

Just after that, I was outside and had a Camaro convertible drive by, going around a corner. At that moment it struck me that this would be about the closest thing. It was an open-air experience but down in a cockpit, driving instead of riding, wide front end and plenty of power.

Obviously Polaris is trying to expand upon the popularity of their side-by-side off-road vehicles, as the slingshot is quite similar to that, but with a REAL engine instead of the little mills they build themselves. I doubt there would be many Indian or Victory riders that would go for it, nor would there be many Spyder riders that go for it. Don't really see the off-road side-by-side guys going for it, but then when I saw the convertible Camaro I think that might be the primary target buyer? An inexpensive thrill ride?

I think it would be FAR more fun to drive at a closed-course environment than to take it out onto public streets. Think big boys go-kart track experience, I can see that as being huge. But going out on public streets? I dunno....

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    All of the Minneapolis TV stations had a report on the slingshot last night, as there is a Polaris dealer show going on and they had some of the vehicles out at a local test track, so local TV reporters were obviously invited to go for a ride. The reps kept repeating the same catch-phrases, things like "surfing asphalt".

Just after that, I was outside and had a Camaro convertible drive by, going around a corner. At that moment it struck me that this would be about the closest thing. It was an open-air experience but down in a cockpit, driving instead of riding, wide front end and plenty of power.

Obviously Polaris is trying to expand upon the popularity of their side-by-side off-road vehicles, as the slingshot is quite similar to that, but with a REAL engine instead of the little mills they build themselves. I doubt there would be many Indian or Victory riders that would go for it, nor would there be many Spyder riders that go for it. Don't really see the off-road side-by-side guys going for it, but then when I saw the convertible Camaro I think that might be the primary target buyer? An inexpensive thrill ride?

I think it would be FAR more fun to drive at a closed-course environment than to take it out onto public streets. Think big boys go-kart track experience, I can see that as being huge. But going out on public streets? I dunno....
    I definitely see all of your points. I don't think any of us have a clue who the target demographic is, lol......but it fits someone, just can't pinpoint it.

One thing that I do see that's different from a convertible, and that was said by testers, is that you're so low to the ground that it feels like you're riding on the ground rather than in a car.....if what they are proclaiming on the "rush" is true, this would be why, and it is something that you can't mentally visualize in your head. The only way to know how "fun" this thing is would be to sit in it in person.

But this also makes your point true on if this thing is safe on the street. So low to the ground means barely visible.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I definitely see all of your points. I don't think any of us have a clue who the target demographic is, lol......but it fits someone, just can't pinpoint it.

One thing that I do see that's different from a convertible, and that was said by testers, is that you're so low to the ground that it feels like you're riding on the ground rather than in a car.....if what they are proclaiming on the "rush" is true, this would be why, and it is something that you can't mentally visualize in your head. The only way to know how "fun" this thing is would be to sit in it in person.

But this also makes your point true on if this thing is safe on the street. So low to the ground means barely visible.
    Target group is probably something similar to: under 45, male, college educated, income greater than $100,000, and driver/owner of luxury cars...possibly single or soon-to-be empty nester.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Target group is probably something similar to: under 45, male, college educated, income greater than $100,000, and driver/owner of luxury cars...possibly single or soon-to-be empty nester.
    Well that fits me, lol.......except the single part. Haha