Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ON THE SLINGSHOT

....Personally I think almost all of you are wrong in your thinking on this product......Why does it need to be "COMPARED " to anything. Why is everybody concerned that it is a threat to the Spyder ( NOT) ...The '" SLINGSHOT " is just what it is .....A big boy's toy. I'm going to give it a serious look.....These kinds of threads are what usually goes on during the non-riding months when we are all bored out of our skulls .............After or if you test drive one then maybe you can speak with some credence on it .......JMHO , Mikeguyver ..........PS remember back in 2007 this is exactly what everyone was saying about our beloved SPYDERS

Spyder Garage

Why would someone buy a new model year summer vehicle in October?
    I haven't quite figured this out yet....as to why they don't wait a few months to announce these things.

I understand buying a previous year model when it goes on sale at the end of season...
    But why would I want to start my warranty counting down and make $400-500/mo payments on a vehicle that sits in the garage the first 4 months?

That said, I really want one of these things... not to replace my Spyder but to supplement it...

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acinpcola View Post
    The dealership I purchased my Indian from is going to be selling them here in Pensacola
    How jealous will your Indian be?
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    I haven't quite figured this out yet....as to why they don't wait a few months to announce these things.

I understand buying a previous year model when it goes on sale at the end of season...
    But why would I want to start my warranty counting down and make $400-500/mo payments on a vehicle that sits in the garage the first 4 months?

That said, I really want one of these things... not to replace my Spyder but to supplement it...
    How many '13 Rt's were sold in October last year? A heck of a lot I bet. I bought mine in July, love it, have problems with it, hate it, love it..... I would take a serious look at the Slingshot maybe 2016. But, as an emerging concept, it is intriguing. But, then again, so were Spyders when we first saw them here in the U.S. Not looking to replace my Spyder, just open to different opportunities.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    How many '13 Rt's were sold in October last year? A heck of a lot I bet. I bought mine in July, love it, have problems with it, hate it, love it..... I would take a serious look at the Slingshot maybe 2016. But, as an emerging concept, it is intriguing. But, then again, so were Spyders when we first saw them here in the U.S. Not looking to replace my Spyder, just open to different opportunities.

Well, that was kinda my point...
    I can see people buying 2014's this fall at a $2000 or $3000 discount.
    But why would you buy a 2015 this fall, be unable to ride it for 4 months, start the warranty clock running, make 4-5 months of payments... its not like they give you a real incentive .... vs wait 4-5 months and get it at the same price at the beginning of the season.

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

In fairness, I understand your viewpoint living in Minnesota, but many areas can ride year-round. Even in NJ, I ride year round many years ( though not this past winter).

Spyder Garage

The safety benefits are the same for the Slingshot and Spyder - but one is an ATV, the other a Side by Side. One has a drivetrain with 100s of thousands of similar units on the road, the other not. Both are toys, and not used for months of bad weather (for most of us).

Some people do and will prefer the ATV, and some the Side by Side. But one has a manufacturer that has lost my trust, and will need to earn it back, before they see my money again.... JMHO
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Yes!! I will look at 1 an maybe not a new spyder next year. I will keep the Spyder for sure but this looks really cool an easy to upgrade the power
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Spyder Garage

Well I had been waiting for the Elio...but now even though it is about three times the reported selling price of the Elio, and I was looking at the ST or an RT, I will now look at this only because of the dealer issue of service and support seems to be larger than the Can Am dealerships in my area or rather the lack of dealers in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    The Can Am dealer I purchased my spyder from new also sells the slingshot now. I wonder how many other Can Am dealers also sell the Polaris slingshot.
    ("It is a great day for hockey." Bob "Badger" Johnson)

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

2012 Bronze RT-Limited Spyder ///SOLD///
    Inspector Gadgets Floorboards $150 & Highway Pegs $65, BajaRon Bar, Corbin Seat & Armrests

2008 Yellow GS SM5 Spyder ///SOLD///
    Corbin Seat, Seal Floorboards, 3" risers, CalSci windshield, DWG Speakers, Spyder front and back decal, passenger foot peg extensions.

2015 Yellow Chevy Camaro Convertible

Spyder Garage

Default Slingshot Roadtest

The local Polaris Dealer called me today, I signed up for a road test. He said they should have one in late October. He will call when they become available.

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

At 770kg (1,700 lb) and 'just 174 ponies, that gives a rather poorer power to weight ratio plus 140 Ft/lb of torque through one Kendall rear tyre can't offer much traction. Or is it just me that can't get excited by this?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Regarding the timing of the unveiling of the Slingshot...
    Polaris is still thinkining like a snowmobile company: offer pre-season sales in the Spring so that the dealers can put together their orders, and then deliver them in time for the snowfall...
    If these bikes are going to be available in the Fall for test-rides; who is to say that an order won't be filled until Spring?
    (Unless I've completely missed part of the announcement...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don't see how this can compare to the RT, there is absolutely no stowage space. Seems to me as something more in line with a sports car, MR2 maybe. I test drove one of those and couldn't drive it with the top up, that would not be a problem with the Slingshot, but my step-daughter pointed out that there isn't enough room for a box of tampons. I doubt that I'll be able to fit my 6 '2" 250 lb's into it. I drooled over the Stallion until I tried to get into one. That being said, I will check them out, regular oil and chevy filter, no belt vibration, we'll see.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDon View Post
    . That being said, I will check them out, regular oil and chevy filter, no belt vibration, we'll see.
    Are you 100% sure of that???
    powertrain in jpg.jpg

I see a belt...

Spyder Garage

Well, that was kinda my point...
    I can see people buying 2014's this fall at a $2000 or $3000 discount.
    But why would you buy a 2015 this fall, be unable to ride it for 4 months, start the warranty clock running, make 4-5 months of payments... its not like they give you a real incentive .... vs wait 4-5 months and get it at the same price at the beginning of the season.
    You do have a valid point. There's no arguing with you there. Kind of stupid when you think about it, lol......yet we still do it. haha

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

So I was thinking about an RT next year or maybe the following, so the two of us could do some touring, but the Slingshot has me rethinking the hole thing. I feel the Slingshot is a safer vehicle, tubular steel racing roll cage, 3 point seat belt, and a bucket seat. I'm sure in no time there will be aftermarket stuff to address the storage issue and maybe even a soft top. Being there is a GM motor in it, a way better dealer network for most of the drivetrain, so a trip to Alaska will be in the cards. Did it last year by land/cruise tour and want to go back in a few years. My wife has given me the green light as long as she can get in and out of it, so will wait and see. Not to worry, I will keep my RS. So those that say there is no comparison, it is when you have limited income.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When is your road test scheduled??

Spyder Garage

Not sure, my dealer is getting 3, 1 is sold and if the others sell before delivery, there will be no demo tell he can get one that ain't already sold. We will be able to look and touch though. I believe every dealer is doing the same and some are getting more than MSRP.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is starting to remind me of a true story...
    Back in 1985; I was working part-time at the local Honda Shop. I was putting bikes together for them in the evenings, and on weekends.
    (this was back before my lack of skills was as well-known as it is now...)
    On aSaturday; just before closing up at 3:00, this young kid comes in. He wants to test out one of the new Honda Odyssey 350s... (Full suspension, 350cc LC engine...) Well; we had to move it around to store it anyway, so the boss gives him the go-ahead.
    There's about a three foot high pile of dirt next to the shop property; right along the road...
    This kid come FLYING around the front of the building, and puts the right side of the quad up onto that dirtpile...
    ...Flipping the buggy upside down, and out into the roadway. It sits there spinning around on it's roof.
    I thought that the Boss was gonna swallow his tongue... Several of us ran over, and got this nit-wit loose from the harness.
    He's giggling like an idot, and says,
    "Always wanted to do that! Let's go sign some papers!"
    And he bought it! Paid cash too!
    Ron,
    I hope that the guy who tests it out before you, isn't related to this one!