Spyder Garage

Post Dash Power Outlet

Hello Spyder Lovers, this is my second post (first was Spyder handling on mountain roads) and I would like to thank all of you for your contributions to this forum as I absorb all your shared information about the Spyder! I have not purchased mine yet as I am waiting for the 2015's to come out and then I will be making my purchase probably in January 2015. I have learned so much from your experiences that I feel confident in taking the plunge when it's time. However, I ask for your assistance about a Dash Power Outlet which I would like to have installed as my wife is dependent on a portable oxygen machine and we would need to plug in to a power receptacle to keep the batteries charged for long hauls. I know there is a connection in the trunk available, however I believe an external power source will be more practical for her unit. Once again, I want to thank each and every one of you for your contributions to this forum and I am confident your expertise and feedback will resolve my needs and concerns. This forum is a real blessing and feel like I've driven a Spyder for years with the knowledge you have shared! Can't wait to contribute to this forum about my experiences in the near future.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Go to jt's machine shop on the home page. He is one of the sponsors and has a dash power install that can be either a 12v that will replace either your analog gas one heat gauge. This also activate your digital gauges which seem to work better.

Spyder Garage

Default Choices choices..!!

for best results you should pull power from the rear rather than the dash unless you are using it for others gadgets. You can get an extension supply cord that will plug in the outlet in the trunk and have the pigtail outlet at the back seat. But if you search here there are several installs you can pick from...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    for best results you should pull power from the rear rather than the dash unless you are using it for others gadgets. You can get an extension supply cord that will plug in the outlet in the trunk and have the pigtail outlet at the back seat. But if you search here there are several installs you can pick from...
    Actually for mine, I removed my analog gauges. Those gauges have 3 wires. One wire powers the lights in the gauges. This in fact connects to the riding light circuit at the fuse block (I traced it back with a meter). So I tapped into that no issue. Based on the wire diameter you should be able to power a GPS or a phone without a problem. Just do not try to power anything with high AMP demand.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Actually for mine, I removed my analog gauges. Those gauges have 3 wires. One wire powers the lights in the gauges. This in fact connects to the riding light circuit at the fuse block (I traced it back with a meter). So I tapped into that no issue. Based on the wire diameter you should be able to power a GPS or a phone without a problem. Just do not try to power anything with high AMP demand.

Bob
    I did the same and it works great!
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if you could access the rear power port, and connect an additional port to it that is waterproof, and is mounted with access on the outside of the top trunk for the rear seat passenger?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I wonder if you could access the rear power port, and connect an additional port to it that is waterproof, and is mounted with access on the outside of the top trunk for the rear seat passenger?
    I am sure you could easily! The harness that runs to the trunk is under the left passenger handle. You could drill a hole in that cover and mount a 12v outlet there. Maybe next to the knock out for the passenger wired helmet jack.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black