Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I'll pass on some info. When buying a car, bike or boat always check the manufactures date. If the vehicle was dated on a Monday or Friday avoid these at all cost. My wife's 2013 RTS was manufactured on a Wednesday, no heat issues or gas smells at all.
    Shooter
    972-467-8077

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But what if they were closed on a Monday, and you found a Tuesday buid-date?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow Corvair fires were quite common here in the desert ~ way back when

https://www.google.com/search?redir_...&action=devloc

Quote Originally Posted by HuckFin View Post
    How did Corvairs get drug into this? I have owned Corvairs for 45+ years and never heard of any designed in flaws that caused them to catch on fire. I'm sure some have caught on fire because of poor maintenance, but not from some designed in flaw.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope that you realize where the first link takes you...

...to a FORUM!

If I were to base my opinion on what I've seen in here; I'd have been sure that the Spyder would not only burn down; it'd blow up,give me bad breath, vandalize the house, steal my checkbook, sleep with my Missus, and get me kicked out of the Masons!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vidman View Post

My point is that it can be investigated. I we shouldn't be surprised what these engineers and investigators could find.

But what effort and funds will BRP put into the investigations? Will they or did they actually hire engineers and fire investigators? BRP has the remains of my Spyder, not my insurance company.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It does not matter what an investigation turns up. I am sure the BRP reason will be is that the guy mounted the spyder incorrectly.

Spyder Garage

Red face Missing the point is an option....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I hope that you realize where the first link takes you...

...to a FORUM!

If I were to base my opinion on what I've seen in here; I'd have been sure that the Spyder would not only burn down; it'd blow up,give me bad breath, vandalize the house, steal my checkbook, sleep with my Missus, and get me kicked out of the Masons!

Oh Bob......

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Corvette fires

Jerbear, I googled "Corvette fires" and got the same kind of horror stories.

Spyder Garage

Red face Context

Jerbein thr, I googled "Corvette fires" and got the same kind of horror stories.
    Didn't mean to offend you. Just stating facts as I remember them from back in the 60's.

Spyder Garage

Originally Posted by robmorgI like that idea, but it would be hard to do because of the "$4000 rebate/3-year warranty" offer currently running from BRP on untitled 2013 RT's. That drives down the resale price of used 2013's and therefore the trade amount dealers are willing to offer by the same amount. As we get closer to the end of the summer, BRP will likely sweeten the rebate deal for 2013's even more, if there are still many left."

As the new year approaches and the 2015 get released. What are we looking at for trade in's on our 13 rts? Half of what we paid for. Mine will be a year old in September with less than 4,000 miles on it. Yes I got the rebate and extended my warranty to 5 years. I put a good amount down the keep the payments down.
    We love our Spyder don't penalized us because there could be a fire or there is a heat issue?
    If it wasn't for this forum I would not have known about the spyder fires or that there is a heat issue. All I ask is someone needs to try and fix this or let me fix this. Don't threaten me with "you'll loose your warranty if you do that".

I love the Monday/Friday Build thing. Just how do find what day your spyder was built?

Just a little trivia. The man who started the 5 day work week because he found that his production was floundering with to many hours of working was. Henry Ford. So for those of you who don't work retail and have the weekends off. Thank Mr. Ford. Oh! What day is it again? lol
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    Originally Posted by robmorgI like that idea, but it would be hard to do because of the "$4000 rebate/3-year warranty" offer currently running from BRP on untitled 2013 RT's. That drives down the resale price of used 2013's and therefore the trade amount dealers are willing to offer by the same amount. As we get closer to the end of the summer, BRP will likely sweeten the rebate deal for 2013's even more, if there are still many left."

As the new year approaches and the 2015 get released. What are we looking at for trade in's on our 13 rts? Half of what we paid for. Mine will be a year old in September with less than 4,000 miles on it. Yes I got the rebate and extended my warranty to 5 years. I put a good amount down the keep the payments down.
    We love our Spyder don't penalized us because there could be a fire or there is a heat issue?
    If it wasn't for this forum I would not have known about the spyder fires or that there is a heat issue. All I ask is someone needs to try and fix this or let me fix this. Don't threaten me with "you'll loose your warranty if you do that".

I love the Monday/Friday Build thing. Just how do find what day your spyder was built?

Just a little trivia. The man who started the 5 day work week because he found that his production was floundering with to many hours of working was. Henry Ford. So for those of you who don't work retail and have the weekends off. Thank Mr. Ford. Oh! What day is it again? lol
    RESALE: The value is going to continue to decline on the 2013's. Ongoing issues (the latest fire) have probably not helped much. You have a lot invested, and if you are happy with it, I would continue to drive it and enjoy it. You have a new machine (4000 miles), a five year warranty, etc. etc. Keep it insured (full coverage) and enjoy. When we have talked issues with 2013's in other threads, many 2013 owners have chimed in and said their machines are perfect, and they love them. The issues are on a few machines and not every one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Didn't mean to offend you. Just stating facts as I remember them from back in the 60's.
    Sorry, didn't mean to come across as being offended. Through the years I have heard all the stories about what's wrong about my Corvair and I'm sure I will be hearing more. Now that I have a 2013 Spyder I'll get to hear even more stories, oh well I like both of these vehicles and haven't experienced any of the problems others have had.....So far.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    Originally Posted by robmorgI I love the Monday/Friday Build thing. Just how do find what day your spyder was built?
    When you bought your bike, included in the paperwork was the "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin". It's gives whatever State you register in, all of the information needed to produce a title...
    If you have a copy of it... it'll be there!

Spyder Garage

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as being offended. Through the years I have heard all the stories about what's wrong about my Corvair and I'm sure I will be hearing more. Now that I have a 2013 Spyder I'll get to hear even more stories, oh well I like both of these vehicles and haven't experienced any of the problems others have had.....So far.
    I also had a corvair. Always felt the problems reported were fabricated. Other than not handling well, zero problems. During the same time period it seemed at least once a month there was news coverage of a VW bus burning up. (Late 60s-early 70s)
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: If you have a copy of it... it'll be there!

I do not know about New York but my title here in Oregon does not tell the date of mfr. It only has the year; which may or not be the year of mfr.

Does yours?

Just wondering,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The M.S.O. is produced by the Manufacturer. The information is defintely on there. Each State does what it does, when it produces the Title...
    I'll find a copy of my M.S.O., and let you know where to look...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But what if they were closed on a Monday, and you found a Tuesday buid-date?
    Now you're really killing my OCD!
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you mean, "CDO"?
    After all; shouldn't it be alphabetized?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    But what effort and funds will BRP put into the investigations? Will they or did they actually hire engineers and fire investigators? BRP has the remains of my Spyder, not my insurance company.
    I certainly understand why BRP would want the burned bike. They would not be the ones to hire engineers and investigators. If insurance companies see a pattern large enough to expend the money for an investigation then things would possibly move along. I never stated, nor believe, that BRP would pay for the investigation. I hope all afflicted owners are dealt with properly.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

Ann Who replaced your Spyder, BRP or your insurance company???

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The insurance company would hire the outside fire investigator...
    BRP would task it's own engineers with trying to piece together the story of what happened.
    After all; they designed and built the bike. In theory; they should have the best idea of what to look for.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You must remember that anything could catch fire at any time, it's the issues leading up to the fire that's in question. I purchased a new GM truck in 1989 and they recalled the transmission dipstick for causing fires? Turns out the trans could "burp up" fluid out of the dipstick on the hot exhaust manifold so they installed a "locking" dipstick. Some of the 13's have been giving huge clues.......
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle catches fire and burns at dealer demo ride. 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default We're not alone...

Even a GoldWing can have a very bad day...

Spyder Garage

How did Corvairs get drug into this? I have owned Corvairs for 45+ years and never heard of any designed in flaws that caused them to catch on fire. I'm sure some have caught on fire because of poor maintenance, but not from some designed in flaw.
    The problem with the Chevy Corvair was that so many mechanics did not know how to work on it. I worked for a guy who was a retired GM engineer who could make them sing. He had so much business, just with Corvairs, that his garage was sometimes mistaken for a used car lot, and people would come in to buy a car!

I suspect some of our issues may very well have to do with the quality of the mechanic that some dealerships employ. Some of you know that the dealership where I bought my RT left parts off the rear brake when they performed the recall work. I am happy to report that, to date, the ECM update seems to have resolved the extreme heat that was giving me 1st degree burns on my thighs when I rode for more than an hour. The glove box area no longer gets extremely hot, nor do I have the terrible heat shooting out from the seat lock mechanism, when the seat is open. I've put over 3,000 miles on my Spyder since the ECM update (bulletin 2013-9 I think?) and am very happy with how it runs. Will it someday turn into a pile of slag on the side of the road? Who knows? But I plan on riding as often as I can, and will cross that bridge if I ever come to it.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)