Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

The thing that bothers me most was I really hoped this was behind us. Sure the hot foot is no fun but not a possible death sentence. I have not told my wife about this since she talked me into buying one but every time I start it up now I wonder if this is the day. Yes it could be cager hit me day but I have a little control over that with situation awareness and gear. But when a company says they have a new and different fix coming out at events to help or solve a problem they KNOW about and created and say and do nothing that really irks me. They took my money while telling me the 13 was a new and improved model. They have pretty much ignored my calls with "take it to the dealer that we do not control or can assure they know anything about the product and we won't give you any information just them" Well that is just so wrong on so many levels to me. I will never feel at ease ever riding this again. For those that say sell it and take a loss well that loss puts me in a position in my retirement that destroys what little savings I had left so it is not an option. I have texted BRP Steve never got a return. Never received any follow up to any calls to customer service and case numbers and my dealer has turned over their service dept 3 times since I bought it. I just do not have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this at all with only 3k miles on the bike. Well maybe "Warm and fuzzy" is the wrong way to describe my feelings considering.
    Last edited by Magdave; 07-28-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MagDave have you filed a complaint with the NHTSA? I don't know if it will help your case or not but I don't think it would hurt. I filed a complaint after my fire and never heard a word from NHTSA but there is a woman who has actually been contacted by them about her complaint.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    MagDave have you filed a complaint with the NHTSA? I don't know if it will help your case or not but I don't think it would hurt. I filed a complaint after my fire and never heard a word from NHTSA but there is a woman who has actually been contacted by them about her complaint.
    I checked the NHTSA site today and this fire is not reported. It would be a shame if it was not filed. I see many others about heat. Frankly if you read what has been reported for a spyder 2013, it's pretty bad reporting. More like complaints than actual data and facts. I read through all of them today. If I was the NHTSA most of those would be filed in the bin as not issues to be looked at. Sorry to say this but the reporting (other than a few) is just not at a quality level based on what I saw

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

FYI if you want to read what has been filed, the site is hard to locate that.

What you do is go to:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

On the left menu is "Search for recalls, complaints, and Investigations".
    Click it.

In the middle menu is a pull down for model year. I selected 2013.
    Next pull down menu is make. I selected Can-AM
    3rd pull down menu is lists a few choices. I selected Spyder RT.

Then click the GO button.

At the simi top of the main display area are tabs. It shows recalls first. Click on the complaints tab.

It will lest them all.. You can go through about 5 pages.

Hope this helps people see what has been reported. The site is VERY HARD to find this on and I spent quite a bit of time finding it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I checked the NHTSA site today and this fire is not reported. It would be a shame if it was not filed. I see many others about heat. Frankly if you read what has been reported for a spyder 2013, it's pretty bad reporting. More like complaints than actual data and facts. I read through all of them today. If I was the NHTSA most of those would be filed in the bin as not issues to be looked at. Sorry to say this but the reporting (other than a few) is just not at a quality level based on what I saw

Bob
    Bob, my fire is definitely on there it is under 2013 Can Am Spyder with no model # http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchDetails (edited the link does not work) it does not include everything that I entered in the complaint though. I certainly thought that I would be contacted but never was.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    The thing that bothers me most was I really hoped this was behind us. Sure the hot foot is no fun but not a possible death sentence. I have not told my wife about this since she talked me into buying one but every time I start it up now I wonder if this is the day. Yes it could be cager hit me day but I have a little control over that with situation awareness and gear. But when a company says they have a new and different fix coming out at events to help or solve a problem they KNOW about and created and say and do nothing that really irks me. They took my money while telling me the 13 was a new and improved model. They have pretty much ignored my calls with "take it to the dealer that we do not control or can assure they know anything about the product and we won't give you any information just them" Well that is just so wrong on so many levels to me. I will never feel at ease ever riding this again. For those that say sell it and take a loss well that loss puts me in a position in my retirement that destroys what little savings I had left so it is not an option. I have texted BRP Steve never got a return. Never received any follow up to any calls to customer service and case numbers and my dealer has turned over their service dept 3 times since I bought it. I just do not have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this at all with only 3k miles on the bike. Well maybe "Warm and fuzzy" is the wrong way to describe my feelings considering.
    You state many valid points Dave. I am also dismayed about lack of contact with consumers who have tried to file cases, or problems that have not been resolved by dealers. If they have adopted a "it will go away and be forgotten some day" attitude, that does not bode well. I honestly have believed and felt that customer relations took a turn for the better in the last few months. The latest issue with another 2013 fire has brought out some bad stuff again. We are early into this incident, and realistically, I do not think we can call BRP lax at this point in time. Many are watching this and how it is handled by BRP.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Bob, my fire is definitely on there it is under 2013 Can Am Spyder with no model # http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchDetails (edited the link does not work) it does not include everything that I entered in the complaint though. I certainly thought that I would be contacted but never was.
    Yes Ann, I saw yours or at least thought it was yours as yours in the ONLY ONE that selected FIRE. Meaning you had a fire.
    So yes I am pretty sure I saw yours. But where are the others? Sad to see not a single one of the 5 we know about reported except yours

People on SL here expecting things to be done and not doing anything to help themselves.... shame....

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 07-28-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI if you want to read what has been filed, the site is hard to locate that.

What you do is go to:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

On the left menu is "Search for recalls, complaints, and Investigations".
    Click it.

In the middle menu is a pull down for model year. I selected 2013.
    Next pull down menu is make. I selected Can-AM
    3rd pull down menu is lists a few choices. I selected Spyder RT.

Then click the GO button.

At the simi top of the main display area are tabs. It shows recalls first. Click on the complaints tab.

It will lest them all.. You can go through about 5 pages.

Hope this helps people see what has been reported. The site is VERY HARD to find this on and I spent quite a bit of time finding it.

Bob
    Bob, leave out the RT and you will get all of the complaints. It is funny, yesterday I went on the site and they asked me if I wanted to take a survey about my visit on the site. I let them know just how difficult it is to navigate. Today I went back and signed up for email notifications so we will see who else enters their experiences.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes Ann, I saw yours or at least thought it was yours as yours in the ONLY ONE that selected FIRE. Meaning you had a fire.
    So yes I am pretty sure I saw yours. But where are the others? Sad to see not a single one of the 5 we know about reported except yours

People on SL here expecting things to be done and not doing anything to help themselves.... shame....

Bob
    Bob, you won't see the one from the Demo Event and the one that happened the week before me was in Canada (I think I saw it reported on their equivalent agency) the guy in TX must not have entered his and I don't think you would see Dat Guy's this quickly. The guy in TX had not had the recall work done - he posted on FB that he Googled Spyder fires and that is how he found out about the recall.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

OK Ann I got yea but based on all the complaints here on SL you would think there would be a crap load more of filed complaints on NHTSA than there are. And 50% of those are not very well written and sound more like dealer complaints.

That's all I am saying. If this issue is that big, the filed complaints is probably "noise" to the NHTSA based on what is in the database right now.

I am NOT trying to start a campaign of filings or anything like that! I have no complaints so it wont be me!

Just pointing out if you want your tax dollars to help you, and this is an issue YOU have problems with, then use the system! The little that is there now is not going to DRIVE the NHTSA to do anything in my opinion... It's 2 dozen! that's about it...

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Yes I did Ann I mentioned the dripping gas and fire hazard it creates .

"I HAVE HAD THE PREVIOUS RECALL DONE AND THE BIKE IS STILL DRIPPING GAS IN MY GARAGE FROM THE EVAP OVERFLOW LINE ON THE RIGHT SIDE. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR MONTHS AND THERE ARE MANY REPORTS OF THIS HAPPENING EVEN AFTER THE RECALL INSULATION. IT IS A FIRE HAZARD. *TR "
    Last edited by Magdave; 07-28-2014 at 10:01 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Yes I did Ann I mentioned the dripping gas and fire hazard it creates .
    Pretty sure I saw yours too Dave about dripping gas in the garage floor. That was one of the better written complaints I saw.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Dave,

While I have not followed your entire case in your posts, from what you just described, I would say that you are justified in feeling the way you do. After reading your last post, would I be correct to assume that with you it's not just the heat? Are you getting the gas fumes, the boiling gas, and/or the overflowing evaporator canister as well? [I see this is correct - after posting this, I just read your response to Ann.]

If so, and you've tried everything possible, perhaps the time has come to force their hand with a call to NHTSA and by taking some legal action - especially if your Spyder is still under warranty. First, though, I would sit down and have a conversation with the owner of your dealership and explain your feelings. You cannot talk to BRP face to face, but you CAN do that with the dealer, even if you don't necessarily trust them. Tell him/her everything that you just said in that post, and that the last thing you want, is to oppose them litigiously, but you simply don't know where else to go with the problem. If he tells you that the dealership is powerless with BRP, tell him that BRP as advised you of the exact opposite - that you MUST deal with the dealer. Tell him that the reason you requested the meeting is in the hope that they WILL resolve the issues for you so that both of you can avoid the pain and additional expense of litigation. Have this conversation only with the owner, and only in private or with one other person in attendance. No one else will care, and the owner, if he's worth his salt, will understand your point of view - especially if you are gracious about it, insistent, but not raising your voice, etc. If the dealer seems insulted, ask him to put himself in your shoes - what would he do. (From reading your posts for a short time, I think you'll have no problem presenting your story clearly and civilly.)

The owner's response will tell you what you need to do. An attorney would likely recommend taking action against both the dealer and BRP. Find an attorney who will take the case on a contingency basis. Litigation will probably mean that, even if you get resolution, you will have to eventually find a different dealer. But if they back you into a corner, you've got no choice. The status-quo doesn't seem to be working for you.

Good luck with your dilemma.
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-28-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Carlo from BRP contacted me today and asked me to send him info and pics. I had not previously tried to reach them so they obviously monitor this website. I also got a call from the nearest BRP dealer near me (Coyne) with their service rep Kyle asking what happened and if I was ok (which was nice), so I believe they read this site too. Nothing further than that has been done so far.

They are watching this forum and they reached out to me first. That's a good start. We'll see where it goes from there.

Spyder Garage

I'd say that is a VERY good start.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I'll do my best to give them any info I can. I really hope this issue can be identified and fixed before someone else loses their Spyder. I'm already trying to accept the fact that I've probably lost a lot of money on the add-ons I bought for it. Aside from the heat and fumes we did have fun riding it and I spent a lot of time making the Spyder my own. I guess one of the reasons I'm so upset about this is that even though it gave me a lot of problems, at the same time it felt like it was really mine and I was proud of it.

Anyway, I'll post more when I have it to give.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    Carlo from BRP contacted me today and asked me to send him info and pics. I had not previously tried to reach them so they obviously monitor this website. I also got a call from the nearest BRP dealer near me (Coyne) with their service rep Kyle asking what happened and if I was ok (which was nice), so I believe they read this site too. Nothing further than that has been done so far.

They are watching this forum and they reached out to me first. That's a good start. We'll see where it goes from there.
    Cool! Glad to hear that! Awesome start!

But have you reported the incident to the NHTSA? I don't see it in the list of user complaints so far.
    You might be taken care of but for the better good of others that might be there too, you should.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

But have you reported the incident to the NHTSA? I don't see it in the list of user complaints so far.
    You might be taken care of but for the better good of others that might be there too, you should.

Bob
    I agree do it for those of us who have been ignored long enough. I am sure there are double or triple the complaints out there that people do not know how to file with NHTSA.I do not want to be the next one posting pics like yours

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Dave,

While I have not followed your entire case in your posts, from what you just described, I would say that you are justified in feeling the way you do. After reading your last post, would I be correct to assume that with you it's not just the heat? Are you getting the gas fumes, the boiling gas, and/or the overflowing evaporator canister as well? [I see this is correct - after posting this, I just read your response to Ann.]

If so, and you've tried everything possible, perhaps the time has come to force their hand with a call to NHTSA and by taking some legal action - especially if your Spyder is still under warranty. First, though, I would sit down and have a conversation with the owner of your dealership and explain your feelings. You cannot talk to BRP face to face, but you CAN do that with the dealer, even if you don't necessarily trust them. Tell him/her everything that you just said in that post, and that the last thing you want, is to oppose them litigiously, but you simply don't know where else to go with the problem. If he tells you that the dealership is powerless with BRP, tell him that BRP as advised you of the exact opposite - that you MUST deal with the dealer. Tell him that the reason you requested the meeting is in the hope that they WILL resolve the issues for you so that both of you can avoid the pain and additional expense of litigation. Have this conversation only with the owner, and only in private or with one other person in attendance. No one else will care, and the owner, if he's worth his salt, will understand your point of view - especially if you are gracious about it, insistent, but not raising your voice, etc. If the dealer seems insulted, ask him to put himself in your shoes - what would he do. (From reading your posts for a short time, I think you'll have no problem presenting your story clearly and civilly.)

The owner's response will tell you what you need to do. An attorney would likely recommend taking action against both the dealer and BRP. Find an attorney who will take the case on a contingency basis. Litigation will probably mean that, even if you get resolution, you will have to eventually find a different dealer. But if they back you into a corner, you've got no choice. The status-quo doesn't seem to be working for you.

Good luck with your dilemma.
    The owners response to another member here on the forum when he asked if they had "certified" BRP techs and where were their certificates was " I you don't like it here take your bike somewhere else." This was a guy down here in MB from NY I gave him another dealer to go to 2hrs away and he had all kinds off issues he was leaking a qt of oil every 500mi among them and the second dealer treated him right. So how do you think my conversation with the selling dealer would go. I doubt he even informed BRP of my complaints even though the techs said they did. No lemon laws in SC either I just want to ride and feel safe with my wife. We want to go cross country but I will not ride farther than 1hr from a dealer. I really do not know what to do right now. It sure looks pretty sitting in my garage and runs fine below 70deg though.

Spyder Garage

Post Holding out hope.

The sad reality is. The first thirteens will soon have been on the road one year. BRP offered their fix, which may work for most. It is likely they have made a decision to deal with any further issues on a case by case basis(unless a government agency steps in). In the long run....it's much less costly for them. I say this in part based on how they refused to address RT heat issues and canister overflow problems, pre 2013. Talking RT's here. Not RS' s or even ST's for that matter.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default My bet

I bet something. Dat Guy may get taken care of by BRP but it will be an identical replacement of a 2013 from dealer stock!
    Ann's case was so early on the dealer issue of having so many 2013's they may never sell was not thought of then.
    Dat Guy has dealers all over this area holding 2013's they may never sell. My bet is this is how it goes down.

Identical replacement! That's my bet.....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry, but I did not read every post. So if this repeats someone or others, I appologize.

BRP may or may not have tested this issue in their Palm Bay test facility. I would hope they have already visited the site or are there now, boiling fuel or whatever and finding a real fix for all.

The ability to test in private, and summer in South Central Florida should be warm enough.

BRP will probably gather facts, remain quiet and let their engineers have meetings and work on the issue. I doubt they will post updates and next you see will be a service bulletin, then maybe a mandatory recall.

The likelyhood of replacing all affected units is nil. A better compliance method is probable. The few burned Spyders being replaced I don't know, but BRP out of pocket is not a lot in the percentage game of dollars. I would suspect the internet is not BRP's friend at the moment, so no doubt they are planning their damage control to some extent. There is nothing left to buy back and sort out from this incident.

Had this happened in city traffic with serious injuries to not only the Spyder and it's rider or riders this would be huge on the news for a bit. That fire was probably intense enough that it would have ruined vehicles around that stationary, possibly setting them on fire also.

All the best with it, and I would possibly not send photos or talk to BRP at this time. First see what insurance will do. My not hurt to bring in a lawyer worthy of all factors. I hate to say it, but if BRP is not willing to learn from their past then give them a glimpse of what the future holds.

PK

Spyder Garage

I bet something. Dat Guy may get taken care of by BRP but it will be an identical replacement of a 2013 from dealer stock!
    Ann's case was so early on the dealer issue of having so many 2013's they may never sell was not thought of then.
    Dat Guy has dealers all over this area holding 2013's they may never sell. My bet is this is how it goes down.

Identical replacement! That's my bet.....

Bob
    Not a smart move, if possible he should get a model or two levels up if possible to help overcome additional loses. As you mentioned their are units out there brand new. This deal though would have me thinking long and hard since the fires still could exist.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Careful getting down off that soapbox Bob, you might hurt yourself. Yes unfortunately the whole world is run by greed and the "GOD ALMIGHTY DOLLAR" or Yen-Ruble-wan etc. After Flying all over the world for a major Airline for 35 years I found out it is the same where ever you go no matter what country your in or who you are dealing with. You buy your ticket and you take your chances. I especially like the life time warranties. Most companies are in business a few years and never to be heard from again.

I am 99% sure BRP will not fix this problem but R&D it out of future products. Not all 2013 owners are affected anymore than 2010-2012 years. There are a lot of 2013's on the road with no problems and few complaints. My philosophy is and always has been "make the best with what you've got". Or "Dance with the one you brought".

In all reality, it is cheaper for BRP or any other corporation to stall and settle for pennies on the dollar on the few fires that occur rather than fix the whole fleet. Cost of four RT-S =$100,000 Vs cost of approximately 10,000 2013 RT-S = $250,000,000. Well you can do the math an figure the board decision. I do not like it, you do not like it, but that is pretty much how it is. I have served on several large boards and it is always the bottom line that rules.

Back to the subject at hand, I do feel that BRP will handle each case as it comes whether you or we feel it is fair. I do hope no one is seriously hurt or injured in any of this. If so it would be a turning point for Federal help to assist.

BRP is one of the worlds largest corporations and they got there by being the "Big Company with the Small Heart" as did most large corporations. I worked for one for 35 years.

Somebody help me. I have fallen off the "soap box" and can't get up!

Jack
    Hi Jack!
    I'm curious...
    Would you have voluntarily worked harder; for less money?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

OldGuy it is unlikely that the remains of his Spyder will tell much. I know mine was even more completely burned than DatGuys.
    Anne, please do not take this as an assault on you or your opinion.

I believe they can find the cause of your fire and others.

An example of skills: We lost our house to a fire last July. The insurance company hired a fire investigator for the purpose of hopefully getting another company to help pay for the rebuild. The investigator and the forensic engineer found the cause to be a 40 year old fan. They found two VERY SMALL (emphasis not yelling) wires that had shorted. This fan was total toast and to find this was amazing to me. BTW, a melted Sony Play Station was operated on by the investigator. His skill was like a surgeon. He got down to minuscule wires to determine it was NOT the cause. I was amazed at the skills these people have.

My purpose for posting this is solely to show.....Where there is a will there is a way. I would be surprised that the same investigation techniques were not performed on these fires. Perhaps NHTSA will do them.

A lesson to be learned in this matter......Bigger companies have fallen then BRP. The most recent example is GM and Toyota. Thankfully no one has died in these situations.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)