Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Yes, Jack, they were all 2013 RTs.

My purge valve had malfunctioned (among many other things) and the canister was not replaced just prior to the fire. I would say that mine was caused by the canister melting but the damage was too severe. The recall instructions to the dealers were to wrap the master cylinder, the evap canister and the parking brake. Many people posted pictures of their canisters that had partially melted which reinforced my belief.
    Well that is disappointing to hear. I like my 2013.

Mine was checked but seemed OK
    Last edited by jaherbst; 07-28-2014 at 09:08 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    My purge valve had malfunctioned (among many other things) and the canister was not replaced just prior to the fire. I would say that mine was caused by the canister melting but the damage was too severe. The recall instructions to the dealers were to wrap the master cylinder, the evap canister and the parking brake. Many people posted pictures of their canisters that had partially melted which reinforced my belief.
    Thank you, Ann. I believe that is helpful information. As many others have alluded, there is comfort in trying to be proactive in dealing with the ramifications of this 2013 heat problem - especially since BRP is not doing that very quickly, if at all.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Glad that the rider is ok.... but it spells bad news for us 2013's s owners.... the band aid fix from BRP may or may not have work.... but since I'm half way around the globe from BRP, I have to hasten my installation of additional active cooling systems to my ..... voiding any waranty or not!.... and I don't think BRP's arm is long enough to ever reach out to me here!...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You certainly ARE in a unique situation over there...
    The best of luck to you in your endeavors!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Steve, are you following this thread. Someone from BRP should be.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Yeah, but did you see how quick it was extinguished when the fireman turned the hose on it? That's all we need - a big high pressure hose full of water
    My opinion on that is because by now the tupperware was all burned off, gas burned out, and the hose was able to get at the source!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Send him a PM, with a link to it. Nobody has any way of knowing if he has seen it . All that we can do; is try!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Send him a PM, with a link to it. Nobody has any way of knowing if he has seen it . All that we can do; is try!
    but they've most likely seen the thread. I'm sure BRP has a strict gag order on it with respect to comment from any BRP employee or representative. Whether or not they are continuing to work on the 2013 problem, there is absolutely nothing they could say in this thread that would not have the potential of increased risk to corporate liability.
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-28-2014 at 11:40 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't have expected him to post in an open forum about it either...
    They would call "Mr. Guy", and get down to business directly...
    After all...

Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-28-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP Care responded here after my fire. But you are right, they probably won't do that again.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ann,
    As a completely unrelated topic...
    You have to be well over 100,000 miles in total Spyder seat-time now; aren't you?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What is the resolution of Dat-Guys meltdown?????????????????

Spyder Garage

It only happened two days ago on Saturday. He said he'd update the forum with pertinent information when that occurs.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you're ok physically, what about mentally? BRP should recall all 2013"s and take them all out of all hands and just replace them with 2014 before worst thing will happen.

Trying to fix 2013 heat issues proves its not enough. Get rid of them.

This last fire is the real canary. My friends who own 2013 make your smart decision and good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP acknologying anything implies guilt/responsibility. Either way BRP loses, do they repair/replace 2013's or do they payoff potential lawsuits. So they will do nothing and ride the train as long as they can to see where it ends ends up and hope their deep pockets outlasts the other guys.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is what happens when PROFIT becomes the god, and the customer becomes the PAWN in the game. Seems like this the prevailing attitude in business today.
    No one can tell me that BRP didn't know that there was a high likelyhood of a fire producing fuel issue in certain '08-'13 models. Let's not forget the poor chap somewhere on this forum that is having issues with his 622 eating tires, and BRP's reluctance to "do the right thing". Instead he is being made to jump thru many hoops. What about the rear tires on the 1330s?
    I've been lurking around here for a little over a year trying to gather information about the RTs knowing full well that I was facing a complicated reconstructive surgery on my left hand/wrist and forearm which could curtail my riding because of not being able to operate the clutch for an extended trip post rehab. I had that surgery on May 16th, and have been on STD since.
    I've only known ONE person that BRP responded to in a "timely"and appropriate fashion when her '13 RT model went up in flames. That's ONE out of how many? Is it possible that BRP makes people sign non-disclosure agreements when they receive replacement products,, or compensation and so "we" never find out about their good deeds here?
    Just based on the stories I have read, I've come to the conclusion that BRP is way too much of a customer insensitive company for my liking. I'll figure out how to operate my clutch on my current ride, or give up riding all together.
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    This is what happens when PROFIT becomes the god, and the customer becomes the PAWN in the game. Seems like this the prevailing attitude in business today.
    No one can tell me that BRP didn't know that there was a high likelyhood of a fire producing fuel issue in certain '08-'13 models. Let's not forget the poor chap somewhere on this forum that is having issues with his 622 eating tires, and BRP's reluctance to "do the right thing". Instead he is being made to jump thru many hoops. What about the rear tires on the 1330s?
    I've been lurking around here for a little over a year trying to gather information about the RTs knowing full well that I was facing a complicated reconstructive surgery on my left hand/wrist and forearm which could curtail my riding because of not being able to operate the clutch for an extended trip post rehab. I had that surgery on May 16th, and have been on STD since.
    I've only known ONE person that BRP responded to in a "timely"and appropriate fashion when her '13 RT model went up in flames. That's ONE out of how many? Is it possible that BRP makes people sign non-disclosure agreements when they receive replacement products,, or compensation and so "we" never find out about their good deeds here?
    Just based on the stories I have read, I've come to the conclusion that BRP is way too much of a customer insensitive company for my liking. I'll figure out how to operate my clutch on my current ride, or give up riding all together.
    Mike
    Mike, I think that is pretty drastic giving up riding all together because you think BRP might be insensitive to its customers. And just to set the record straight it is a woman who is having issues with the trailer tires on her RT622.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Mike
    There has been an issue with four or so fires on the 2013's. I also recall two or three fires posted on 2008-2009 models. Out of the thousands of 's on the road--I don't think that is an indicator of an endemic problem with the whole line. I am thinking ten fires out of the whole line compared to 50,000 or so 's on the road.

I have owned 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and now 2014. Never had heating issues or fires in over 100,000 combined miles.

On issues like this, yes, BRP is going to move slow. This is one reason most people carry full insurance coverage. You cannot expect BRP to take in everyone's 2013 and give them a 2014 because a fire "may" happen. I almost bought a 2013 but when the "issues" started cropping up, I declined.

Those that are expecting a million dollars for pain and suffering for a bike that burned to the ground, are most likely not going to get it. Fortunately, we have not had to factor in grave injuries to either a driver or a passenger. Insurance is never going to cover a burned fully, because they look at "current value" not what you paid for it plus accessories.

Companies like BRP do not go public with their settlements in situations like this. That is just the way it goes in today's world.
    I did not let the "issues" with 2013 scare me off of my purchase this year.

Any vehicle you purchase can have defects and issues that cause things like fires or accidents. Will you be one of the unlucky ones? That is the $64,000 question.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-28-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Glad the OP is OK. That is some scary stuff. I hope BRP can figure these fires out but I do know they're not just sitting on their hands hoping it just goes away.

And another thing. Is it my imagination or do people hold BRP to a higher standard then say GM or Toyota. Both of those large corporations tried to cover up defects that directly led to deaths, but their sales just keep rolling along like nothing happened.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike T,
    The last time I checked; folks rarely go into business for the good of society, or to help their fellow man...
    Even the folks that "work the line", aren't doing it for the sole purpose of providing a necessary product that'll make this a better World...
    Everybody is in it for the money...

Do you; or did you, work for free?
    Probably not.

As a businessowner; I sometimes find myself biting my lower lip when I hear of evil corporations trying to make money...
    Shoot: I've got my own little "Corporate Thatched-Hut" up here, and I wiould love to find a way to increase my revenues.
    I'm not an evil person...Well; maybe a bit immoral and childish.. but never intentionally evil...
    Capitalism puts food on the tables of everybody in this Country; they create the jobs, they take the risks, and they always seem to get it in the neck from folks who would rather try to tear them down.

Whew... I feel better now; back off the soapbox!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike T,
    The last time I checked; folks rarely go into business for the good of society, or to help their fellow man...
    Even the folks that "work the line", aren't doing it for the sole purpose of providing a necessary product that'll make this a better World...

Probably not.

As a businessowner; I sometimes find myself biting my lower lip when I hear of evil corporations trying to make money...
    Shoot: I've got my own little "Corporate Thatched-Hut" up here, and I wiould love to find a way to increase my revenues.
    I'm not an evil person...Well; maybe a bit immoral and childish.. but never intentionally evil...
    Capitalism puts food on the tables of everybody in this Country; they create the jobs, they take the risks, and they always seem to get it in the neck from folks who would rather try to tear them down.

What he said!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

with Patti, who agrees with Bob! Plus, every year BRP puts out better products than they did the year before. Not many companies do that with such regularity. That's not to say that they shouldn't continue to find resolutions to the 2013 RT problem. But I don't think that they are the money grabbling company your post implies. ...and PROFIT is not a dirty word.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Default To many

10 fires in 50,000.
    ONE FIRE IS TO MANY
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NZSpyderRyder View Post
    10 fires in 50,000.
    ONE FIRE IS TO MANY
    As long as your quoting from my post above which had many details in it--I also said:

"Any vehicle you purchase can have defects and issues that cause things like fires or accidents. Will you be one of the unlucky ones? That is the $64,000 question."

One accident is also to many. They do happen though.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-28-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Mike T,

Probably not.

Careful getting down off that soapbox Bob, you might hurt yourself. Yes unfortunately the whole world is run by greed and the "GOD ALMIGHTY DOLLAR" or Yen-Ruble-wan etc. After Flying all over the world for a major Airline for 35 years I found out it is the same where ever you go no matter what country your in or who you are dealing with. You buy your ticket and you take your chances. I especially like the life time warranties. Most companies are in business a few years and never to be heard from again.

I am 99% sure BRP will not fix this problem but R&D it out of future products. Not all 2013 owners are affected anymore than 2010-2012 years. There are a lot of 2013's on the road with no problems and few complaints. My philosophy is and always has been "make the best with what you've got". Or "Dance with the one you brought".

In all reality, it is cheaper for BRP or any other corporation to stall and settle for pennies on the dollar on the few fires that occur rather than fix the whole fleet. Cost of four RT-S =$100,000 Vs cost of approximately 10,000 2013 RT-S = $250,000,000. Well you can do the math an figure the board decision. I do not like it, you do not like it, but that is pretty much how it is. I have served on several large boards and it is always the bottom line that rules.

Back to the subject at hand, I do feel that BRP will handle each case as it comes whether you or we feel it is fair. I do hope no one is seriously hurt or injured in any of this. If so it would be a turning point for Federal help to assist.

BRP is one of the worlds largest corporations and they got there by being the "Big Company with the Small Heart" as did most large corporations. I worked for one for 35 years.

Somebody help me. I have fallen off the "soap box" and can't get up!

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 07-28-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick