Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    What for? By the time you know there is a fire and pull over, you need to get away! NOW! Its already too late to save the bike. Don't be a hero.
    Agree, unless you carry it in a backpack.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Lawyers can be a lot like nuclear weapons: You'll sure want one if the other side starts using them...

...But they sure can muck-up the landscape; once the pin has been pulled!
    Sooooooooooo true!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the bike , glad your alright.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Ann, I cannot really disagree with you in this particular instance. BUT, whatever - if anything - is found will most likely be suppressed by settlement, without any admission on the part of BRP that design elements or anything else had anything to do with this event. The blame will be tried to be somehow shifted to the consumer. This is a standard of product liability lawsuits. I had an industrial accident in 1988 that resulted in the amputation of three of the fingers of my left hand. When the case was settled in 1997, there was no admission of wrongdoing, guilt, or design flaw - and this was a term of the settlement - by the defendant, and a gag order was issued by the court as a part of the settlement. So do not be surprised if that happens to be the case here. The unfortunate thing is that big corporations like BRP are perfectly happy to wait you out no matter how long it takes. They retain lawyers that get paid every day to deny, stall, evade, and then offer compensation which may or may not be what the true financial and/or emotional loss is. I can only hope that DatGuy does not have to suffer through such an experience as I had. He was very fortunate indeed to have escaped with his life, as I know that you were. This is the sad state of litigation in this country. The true loser in the end is the consumer who buys something that has an implied and/or explicit warranty, only to find out that there are many loopholes that manufacturers can utilize to escape liability. BRP is not alone in this, and I am not necessarily intimating that this will be the case in this instance. Steve from BRP, if you are following this thread, it might be a good thing to reach out to DatGuy and be proactive in helping to resolve this quickly. I am sure that such action would go a long way in reassuring those of us in the Spyder community that BRP takes its responsibility seriously, and that BRP will do whatever is necessary to make good on the implied promise of safety and reliability not only for DatGuy, but for all of us who own one of the Spyders that have similar problems that have yet to be corrected. Only time will tell.
    They reached out to me and I would think that they will reach out to Dat Guy also.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    They reached out to me and I would think that they will reach out to Dat Guy also.
    Not if he keeps using the "lawyer" word!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    Not if he keeps using the "lawyer" word!

AGREED!!!

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter

Spyder Garage

I too would like to know the mods you performed to deal with the HEAT.

Of the four that have burned up, were all 2013 RT's?

Glad you were not physically hurt. I am sure it scared the hell out of you and you will have some mental adjustments to deal with as any of us would.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texmac1011 View Post
    Many people own newer models, 2011-2014, and may not realize that the Spyder catching on fire, for whatever reason, is not new.
    Search "2008 fire" in the forum and one will see that this has happened on more than one occasion since the bike first came out. The "whys" weren't exactly clear then and probably won't be now.

Safety is #1 and I am glad to hear no one was injured!
    The "whys" are very clear on the '08 fires. The drain line coming out of the fuel vent canister dripped right onto the exhaust manifold. Thus began the canister-ectomy.

Later, BRP had the drain line re-routed to the front of the Spyder.

Another brilliant engineering feat by BRP engineers!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Alarmed we aren't better armed!

" Originally Posted by jcthorne
    What for? By the time you know there is a fire and pull over, you need to get away! NOW! Its already too late to save the bike. Don't be a hero."

Not sure which post that was from?

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post
    Agree, unless you carry it in a backpack.
    Still believe an ABC ALL PURPOSE unit would handle all needs.

At the very least, I would unzip and spray the fire breathing beast... ;-)
    With a force to be reckoned with!! Hahaha
    Heck I may just go, still saddled and continue riding Into the Wind.
    Even with fire insurance, why let it smoulder?

Seriously though, We need an onboard built in fire extinguisher!!

Was searching just for fun and found this little guy...
    Motorcycle and Chainsaw Fire Extinguisher.

This is a small rechargeable dry powder type with a powder weight of 0.36 Kg and a gross weight of 0.45 Kg .It has a diameter of 50mm and is 300 mm long overall. This pressurised unit is of alloy and plastic construction and suitable for small fires in electrical and petroleum based situations ie petrol, plastics and other flammable liquids eg fats . It is a type (BE) powder unit in which the propellant is dry nitrogen gas under pressure. It has a clearly visible pressure gauge to show the internal working pressure . The pressure gauge shows an optimal working pressure with the indicator needle in the green segment. If the needle has fallen back into the red segment the unit is described as non functional and should be taken to a Fire extinguisher maintenance businesses . The unit is small enough to carry permanently on a motorcycle or attached to ones work-belt when using a chainsaw in the forestry environment.

Realistically, this unit has a maximum capacity for a small fire of a certain size so dont expect it to put out a large fire! however with diligent and careful use it should be suitable to successfully battle a small fuel fire ignited by a backfire through the carburettor of a chainsaw or motorcycle. The user should thoroughly familiarise themselves with the instructions on the outside of the vessel. TAKE A FEW SECONDS TO READ THEM BEFORE PULLING THE TRIGGER! . It is important that one regularly check the pressure gauge before you go out on your motorcycle or to the Forestry job, it only takes a second to glance at the pressure gauge. Don't forget to rectify the problem urgently if the pressure gauge shows the unit as faulty !. a "dead" fire extinguisher is as good as useless.

Thankfully commuter motorcycle fires are few and far between, however you don't know where and when they may happen and when they do they are quite alarming. With modern motorcycles having more than an adequate share of highly inflammable plastics, they can become blazing infernos very quickly and the sooner you extinguish the flames the more likely you are to save your large financial investment with minimal damage. $ 35 is cheap security compared to having nothing to fight a small fire .

fire extinguisher $NZ 35.00 inc gst freight extra

Pinfold Health Services Ltd., 1172 Arawa St. ,Rotorua , New Zealand

ph +64-7-3488850 fax +64-7-3486555 pinfold@xtra.co.nz

Chas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChasCS; 07-27-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Where are you gonna store a fire extinguisher , most likely in the frunk , if the bike catches fire and it's a fuel fire I don't think most are gonna have time to stop get off the bike unlock and in the trunk and grab it. By then I would think it would be too late , love my bike but don't think I would risk it. Gas burns quick and gas vapor is even faster, be best to get off quick and get to safety.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter

Spyder Garage

Default Recalls and Warranty Bulletins for Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    ...they admitted a problem when they issued a recall and told people at events a fix (in addition to recal) was coming soon. That was several months ago and not a peep has been heard.
    Was it a recall?
    Or a Technical Service Bulletin?
    It was a Recall for the tinfoil fix Bob.
    UPDATE...

I was concerned when I saw this sequence of posts on page 3 of this thread, because I have a 2013 RT and had NOT received a recall notice AND nothing shows up in BUDS about a recall. However, a little "Googling" resolved the "recall" vs. "Warranty Service Bulletin" issue. For those newer owners of 2013 RT's (like me), I thought I'd post my findings and clarify that issue.

First, it was BOTH a recall AND a Warranty Service Bulletin. See links here... NHTSA Recall 13V38600 and BRP Bulletin 2013-8 (which I assume was issued as a result of the NHTSA action). The actual "Warranty Bulletin", outlining what was to be done, begins on page 3 of the second link.

The reason I was not aware of this before, even though I bought a 2013 RT, was because the BRP Bulletin that outlined the "fix" was issued two weeks before I bought my bike and it was taken care of by the dealer BEFORE we did the sale. (In mid-September last year, I bought an "end-of-season" demo, that had been used by the dealership owner.)

So, if there are any recent 2013 RT owners who are wondering if this recall has been performed on their Spyder, just check for Warranty Bulletin 2013-8 in BRP records for your serial number, or BUDS.

Also, FWIW, there has been a more recent Warranty Bulletin 2013-9 issued in January, 2014, that in part address some of the heat problem with an ECM update. Here is all that the SB says about the ECM update...
    B - Update ECM software
    Code P1614 may be triggered and cause a limp home mode when starting the engine. The indicator lamp and message HI TEMP may ap-pear at engine startup, even if unit is at normal operating temperature. Engine heat felt by the driver may be uncomfortable.

NOTE: Updating the software may slightly improve riders comfort from heat in some riding conditions. The portion of the update that addresses uncomfortable heat felt by the driver is applicable to non-CARB vehicles only.

I had this update done also, but the dealer was unable to tell me anything more than what is written above. I don't know if it did any good because I can't tell what was supposed to be different after the update. (I never had a code P1614.) I guess they are talking about engine heat coming up around the seat when riding at slow speeds. I can't imagine that an ECM update would do a whole lot to fix the problem, but I could be wrong because I did other heat related "fixes" at the same time. If anyone knows what the ECM update actually changes, and the physical effects of it on heat felt by the driver, please post an explanation.
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-27-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I too would like to know the mods you [Dat Guy] performed to deal with the HEAT.
    Jack, see post #80.
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-27-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Neck strap or belt

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    Where are you gonna store a fire extinguisher , most likely in the frunk , if the bike catches fire and it's a fuel fire I don't think most are gonna have time to stop get off the bike unlock and in the trunk and grab it. By then I would think it would be too late , love my bike but don't think I would risk it. Gas burns quick and gas vapor is even faster, be best to get off quick and get to safety.

I don't know but with something that small... In a hand made leather sheath on my belt, I only know I would want it to be kept in a very handy location that would always be within hands reach. Perhaps even in a pouch hung around my neck. Or on the bars instead of a Coffee cup or GPS holder. Closer the better.

Chas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Wow, I know exactly how you feel. In fact last weekend I went past the scene of my fire and saw the scorch mark still on the highway shoulder. Glad you weren't injured. Keep us informed on what you hear from BRP, etc.
    Ann, Were you ever able to determine exactly what triggered your fire, or was the damage too severe to be able to tell anything? (I assume it was probably the latter, but curious about it just the same.)
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

I know bringing up lawyers is a quick way to shut down a conversation, but it seems like one way to get a peek BEHIND THE BLUE CURTAIN!

Spyder Garage

You guys did watch the video posted earlier here right? They unloaded 3 dry chem extenguishers on the bike and it did nothing to put out the fire. Why? Because it is trapped under the Tupperware. So a little extinguisher is not going to help you. Then watch the video when the gas tank goes up. You want to be standing there with an extenguisher when that happens? I think not!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 07-27-2014 at 10:35 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

i hear ya Bob. there is no way that a fire extinguisher is going to put that thing out with all that plastic hiding behind it. now if it happened to me I don't think I really want to try to save my bike at that point. even if you could, you'd be chasing gremlin's forever trying to get it to work right.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Try to put it out, simply

If you can get to the first signs early enough...

Here's another awesome small unit.
    http://www.aerostich.com/hawk-fire-extinguishers.html
    Hey! Your bikes on fire! Just kidding, but wouldn’t that suck? Cover your assets with this compact device and make sure you keep it readily accessible. The beauty of this extinguisher is that it is NON-CORROSIVE which means that you won’t trash your bike in the process of saving it. The active ingredient is HR-95, a highly effective, biodegradable and non-toxic compound that is safe to use around children and pets and won’t hurt your scoot. HR-95 is not a powder, so you can use part of the contents and the valve will re-seal effectively. Works on class A (ordinary combustibles) and class 
B (flammable liquids) Pressurized peace of mind. 10"×3.5". 10 oz.

Chas
    Last edited by ChasCS; 07-27-2014 at 11:02 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Congrats!

Dat guy, considering the trauma of what you experienced, I congratulate you on your well written reporting here on this forum. Your openness benefits all of us. I have no problem with your use of the term "dangerous machine". I imagine feeling the heat from those flames could incite me to say a whole lot worse! Good luck sorting thru the muck this event will generate for you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Of the four that have burned up, were all 2013 RT's?

Jack
    Yes, Jack, they were all 2013 RTs.

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Ann, Were you ever able to determine exactly what triggered your fire, or was the damage too severe to be able to tell anything? (I assume it was probably the latter, but curious about it just the same.)
    My purge valve had malfunctioned (among many other things) and the canister was not replaced just prior to the fire. I would say that mine was caused by the canister melting but the damage was too severe. The recall instructions to the dealers were to wrap the master cylinder, the evap canister and the parking brake. Many people posted pictures of their canisters that had partially melted which reinforced my belief.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your incident, but glad you made it out unhurt. Machines and be replaced by not a life.
    Hope you are able to resolve this case with BRP quickly and be back on a new Spyder soon.
    Good luck.
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I think carrying one is worthless. It's been discussed before and here is an example of it doing nothing. Later watch the gas tank go up!
    It's not worth your life to try and put the fire out in my opinion! Get away from it!

Bob
    Yeah, but did you see how quick it was extinguished when the fireman turned the hose on it? That's all we need - a big high pressure hose full of water

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default No excess heat with my 2011 Spyder RT-S

Scary situation with your 2013 Spyder. Glad you survived the incident.

Since I bought my 2011 Spyder RT-S in May 2011, I have never experienced an excessive heat issue.

I also have done nothing about adding block off plates or the like.

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I agree..

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    The "whys" are very clear on the '08 fires. The drain line coming out of the fuel vent canister dripped right onto the exhaust manifold. Thus began the canister-ectomy.

Later, BRP had the drain line re-routed to the front of the Spyder.

Another brilliant engineering feat by BRP engineers!
    Had an 08 or 09 Spyder catch fire here in E Texas. I saw the bike at my dealer. Fire seemed to be centered under the seat just over the fuel tank. Did not have the canister mod done. On my bike, once I removed the Tupperware on my '08 and saw the fuel hoses, canister, etc. the canister-ectomy made sense. Easy $1.50 fix.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyman View Post
    First, glad you are OK... but I would be cautious about talking about lawyers and such. Once that conversation is brought up, you will find most manufacturers will just back off and hand it over to their legal group. This can result in long long delays in any settlement or assistance that BRP may have provided or were thinking of provideing. All conversation with you will just stop...
    Funny how responsible people can sound completely unresponsible some times. If there is a problem with the 2013's then you have to find out EXACTLY what the problem is before you will go anywhere in court. Once the cat has been let out of the bag by threatening lawsuits and such you are already setting the stage for a presumption that you are being vindictive towards the company and you will have a much larger fight on your hands than you ever envisioned. A good arson investigator should be able to figure out what caused these fires but it will take some work and some money to accomplish that investigation, not speculation and threats about what the manufacturer has or has not done to correct the problem if there is one. Best course of action in these matters is to keep your mouth closed to making threats about lawsuits and such and determine what actually happened, then proceed to court if necessary. Saber rattling does little to help your cause.

Rick