Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    WHAT RECALL?? I haven't been notified about it, and it sure does not come up in BUDS.
    If you bought yours in OCT it may have already been done. I believe it was 2013-6
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Fact

Dave,

You have taken so much heat (pun intended) for standing your ground on this issue. It is amazing YOU haven't burst into flames.

Hang in there......

Jerry

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just read on facebook that a female rider filed a complaint with NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov) after unsuccessful results from her dealer and BRP to fix the heat issues and DOT contacted her to test her 2013 RT and look at the fixes from BRP.....she said the DOT investigator has been assigned to Can-am...BRP complaints....when she updates...I'll update here

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the replies folks. I will indeed be making a report to the NHTSA. For those that are curious the only mods I had done to reduce heat were wrapping the pipes and having heat shielding put in it to reduce heat. But the rest... a Utopia backrest, F4 windshield, Muth signal mirrors, BRP adjustable wind vents, digital gauges, custom sheepskin cover, bike alarm, Spyderpops bumpskid, cargo trays and more, including the labor I paid to have it all done.

If BRP tries to tell me that wrapping the pipes is a problem they're going to have to prove it in court, because I can and will spend the time and money on a lawyer to pursue this if that's the road they want to go down. If you look at the pictures the heat wrap is the only thing that survived the fire intact. In fact, if I do have to lawyer up, I'll ask about reaching out to others who had theirs burn as well for a possible class action suit... I do live in California after all, so you know there are lawyers here who do nothing but that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    So you personally know what caused this fire before anyone else? We on this forum do not know what mods have been made to this bike either by BRP or the owner. The owner of this machine stated that he spent thousands to correct the heat problem.
    Really, on a 2013 that is under warranty.

I have owned 4 spyders one was a 2013 RT .............. put 7500 miles on it without issue. Traded for a 2013 ST Ltd.
    In my opinion, people such as yourself do incite dislike and mistrust.
    Also, even though I have had no dealings with Carlo at BRP, many people on this forum seem to like him and find him helpful.
    If you dislike these -in your own words- dangerous machines, why don't you just sell it and buy a Toyota or GM or Ford or Honda or HD product? They have all had recalls for a variety of things.
    I don't care if some on this forum find this post a little salty or acidic, get out your flame throwers I can take it.
    Wait for the facts of the fire investigation, then start spouting off!
    I never said that I "personally" know what caused this fire. Also never said that I "dislike" these machines. The fact is, I & my wife love our RT, and ride as often as we can. My issue is that BRP has done nothing to address the heat problems of the RT even under warranty as you stated, other than to say it is "normal". If it is "normal", why aren't all of the 2013 RT's affected? Or is it more "normal" for them to not be affected? Why did you trade your RT at 7500 miles with out issue for an ST Ltd? If, as you state, you truly had no issues with the RT, then good for you that you got one of the "good" ones, and now someone else will get it, and ride worry free. As far as the facts of the fire investigation, I won't hold my breath. Have you noticed that there has been no dissemination of the "facts of the fire investigation" on the other three RT's that burned? We will never know the "facts" because they will never be revealed. Your quote and/or my quotes may be salty or acidic, but at least there is a discussion going on where members of this forum can express their opinions. I may not agree with your opinion, but I am glad to see it expressed here, as I think it serves a valuable purpose, as do all of the other posts. I don't take them as a personal attack, or as taking my "side". There is no "side", only an exchange of information, which is the very reason for the existence of this forum. BTW, I don't own a flame thrower.Keep 'em coming.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

First and foremost--glad you got through this without getting hurt.

There is an upside--you may end up with a new in the end, if you choose to do so. The 2014's are a big improvement over the 2013 re: heat issues and such.

I do disagree with the references to the being a dangerous machine.

I am sure we are going to hear from a lot of people that were leading the rants against the 2013's. I even made a few statements, but don't believe I became well known on the subject.

For me, I am going to sit back and watch how BRP handles any fallout. It may take some time and I note the lawyer word has already been mentioned.

The 2013 has received a lot of bad press. The 2014 has helped to counter that a lot.

seems appropriate here.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-28-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OldGuy it is unlikely that the remains of his Spyder will tell much. I know mine was even more completely burned than DatGuys.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Our Alaska friend says, "The 2013 has received a lot of bad press. The 2014 has helped to counter that a lot." Uh, it may have for BRP! Hasn't done much for the reputation of the 2013 model year or helped a 2013 owner with the depreciation because of that reputation.

Spyder Garage

Default Glad no one was injured

I am glad no one was injured, I hardly ride mine because of the extreme heat, I already sent BRP an e-mail regarding the heat issue, no reply back yet.

Spyder Garage

Default Stop wasting time with BRP

BRP could care less it's you that is responsible to report the issues to the proper people. Only a fool would believe a company will make it right with the proper agency involved.
    i report my heat issues after my dealer says Brp did all they could by wrapping a bandaid on the problem. A week later a investigator called me and is coming to test the temps and BRPs so called fixes. So it's up to you to file a claim if you want a real fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpydieKat View Post
    I am so glad there were no injuries or wildfires because of this latest 2013 Spyder fire.

The heat issues seem to be a problem with all years (except 2014) and most models. I had a 2009 originally and now have a 2012. I traded to the 2012 thinking the heat issue wouldn't be as bad as the 2009. I have pics of red marks on my right leg from riding the 2009. I got the 2012 in January and riding it during the winter months was fine, but now that the temps are up, I am having the same heat issues. I can't go riding past 8am.

The service department at my dealer is horrendous. I took the 2012 in 2 weeks after I bought it because it wouldn't down shift itself. They had it for 4 weeks, said they tore everything apart, said they never found a problem and blamed my riding skills. I'm afraid to take it in to complain about heat issues. It won't do any good anyway.

Maybe all of us who have heat issues should file a complaint with the NHTSA? BRP might then be forced to do something about it??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FredaD View Post
    BRP could care less it's you that is responsible to report the issues to the proper people. Only a fool would believe a company will make it right with the proper agency involved.
    i report my heat issues after my dealer says Brp did all they could by wrapping a bandaid on the problem. A week later a investigator called me and is coming to test the temps and BRPs so called fixes. So it's up to you to file a claim if you want a real fix.
    Please be sure to let us know what happens with the NHTSA and your Spyder.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default SO glad you were not injured in this event

Happy for you not being injured. Sad you are going through this....

Good luck as you move forward after this event!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    Our Alaska friend says, "The 2013 has received a lot of bad press. The 2014 has helped to counter that a lot." Uh, it may have for BRP! Hasn't done much for the reputation of the 2013 model year or helped a 2013 owner with the depreciation because of that reputation.
    I totally agree with what you say above. I almost bought a 2013 RT and it turned out that I was glad that I decided not to. The issues killed the value of the 2013's, both on trade in and resale.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-27-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    OldGuy it is unlikely that the remains of his Spyder will tell much. I know mine was even more completely burned than DatGuys.
    Ann, I cannot really disagree with you in this particular instance. BUT, whatever - if anything - is found will most likely be suppressed by settlement, without any admission on the part of BRP that design elements or anything else had anything to do with this event. The blame will be tried to be somehow shifted to the consumer. This is a standard of product liability lawsuits. I had an industrial accident in 1988 that resulted in the amputation of three of the fingers of my left hand. When the case was settled in 1997, there was no admission of wrongdoing, guilt, or design flaw - and this was a term of the settlement - by the defendant, and a gag order was issued by the court as a part of the settlement. So do not be surprised if that happens to be the case here. The unfortunate thing is that big corporations like BRP are perfectly happy to wait you out no matter how long it takes. They retain lawyers that get paid every day to deny, stall, evade, and then offer compensation which may or may not be what the true financial and/or emotional loss is. I can only hope that DatGuy does not have to suffer through such an experience as I had. He was very fortunate indeed to have escaped with his life, as I know that you were. This is the sad state of litigation in this country. The true loser in the end is the consumer who buys something that has an implied and/or explicit warranty, only to find out that there are many loopholes that manufacturers can utilize to escape liability. BRP is not alone in this, and I am not necessarily intimating that this will be the case in this instance. Steve from BRP, if you are following this thread, it might be a good thing to reach out to DatGuy and be proactive in helping to resolve this quickly. I am sure that such action would go a long way in reassuring those of us in the Spyder community that BRP takes its responsibility seriously, and that BRP will do whatever is necessary to make good on the implied promise of safety and reliability not only for DatGuy, but for all of us who own one of the Spyders that have similar problems that have yet to be corrected. Only time will tell.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Crispy critter

That Spyder is done, poke it with a pitch fork from Hell!!

I can see why a small ABC extinguisher would be an appropriate device to have on hand.

Hope you get this matter resolved soon, and back on the road where you should be.

Stay positive.

Chas

Spyder Garage

URegarding a fire extinguisher, quite frankly if ours was to be enflamed to that point, I would prefer it finish the burn.
    Last edited by Raknid; 07-27-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Glad your ok first and foremost. The rest has been said....again and again.

So far everyone involved in the fires have been smart, alert and able bodied to get off the fireballs in time. What happens to the person who does not notice whats going on or is one of our disabled riders and can't get off that quick.......BRP rolling the dice.......
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default Not All Years Have The '13s Heat Problem...

DatGuy, glad you made it to a safe spot to bail and no-one was hurt. Like your attitude moving forward after the fire.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Quote Originally Posted by SpydieKat View Post
    I am so glad there were no injuries or wildfires because of this latest 2013 Spyder fire.

The heat issues seem to be a problem with all years (except 2014) and most models. I had a 2009 originally and now have a 2012. I traded to the 2012 thinking the heat issue wouldn't be as bad as the 2009. I have pics of red marks on my right leg from riding the 2009. I got the 2012 in January and riding it during the winter months was fine, but now that the temps are up, I am having the same heat issues. I can't go riding past 8am.

The service department at my dealer is horrendous. I took the 2012 in 2 weeks after I bought it because it wouldn't down shift itself. They had it for 4 weeks, said they tore everything apart, said they never found a problem and blamed my riding skills. I'm afraid to take it in to complain about heat issues. It won't do any good anyway.

Maybe all of us who have heat issues should file a complaint with the NHTSA? BRP might then be forced to do something about it??
    Wish you would have posted about your '09s heat problem sooner. We could have helped you have a cooler riding Spyder.

On the GS/RSs, after a while, the original 'Y' gasket burns out. The right one goes first. It's located behind the middle panel by your right leg. If you don't replace it, yeah it gets Real Hot!

Replace both the right and left 'Y' gasket with Honda 18392-MAM-000. Haven't heard of one burning out yet.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=Wacky+gasket

Is there another dealer you could go to? Even if you have to ride farther, it might be worth the effort.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Glad your ok first and foremost. The rest has been said....again and again.

So far everyone involved in the fires have been smart, alert and able bodied to get off the fireballs in time. What happens to the person who does not notice whats going on or is one of our disabled riders and can't get off that quick.......BRP rolling the dice.......
    Look at my Sig that is what happens.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your soul is stolen by Nicolas Cage??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Your soul is stolen by Nicolas Cage??
    Thanks Bob I needed that

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He DID have a pretty "HOT" ride in that movie!

Spyder Garage

First, glad you are OK... but I would be cautious about talking about lawyers and such. Once that conversation is brought up, you will find most manufacturers will just back off and hand it over to their legal group. This can result in long long delays in any settlement or assistance that BRP may have provided or were thinking of provideing. All conversation with you will just stop...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lawyers can be a lot like nuclear weapons: You'll sure want one if the other side starts using them...

...But they sure can muck-up the landscape; once the pin has been pulled!

Spyder Garage

Many people own newer models, 2011-2014, and may not realize that the Spyder catching on fire, for whatever reason, is not new.
    Search "2008 fire" in the forum and one will see that this has happened on more than one occasion since the bike first came out. The "whys" weren't exactly clear then and probably won't be now.

Safety is #1 and I am glad to hear no one was injured!
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."