Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    ...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

so glad you are OK...report this to www.nhtsa.gov scary

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

I'm glad you're safe and I too will echo the report it to NHTSA thing.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

I will also opine that owner modifications done to solve a heat problem that BRP was unable to solve and are properly documented will not cause any real problem. IF BRP chooses to be nasty they can raise the issue, but I don't believe in the end it would amount to anything more than be nasty, if they say anything about it at all.

In California, they, being either the insurance company or BRP, would be on the hook for fair market value and not replacement cost, unless you have that as a rider on your insurance policy. If BRP offers to replace it, then that would be a bonus and they are not obligated to do that. It might work better to go through your insurance company and let them slug it out with BRP for reimbursement. Just a thought.

spydee owner

Default temps

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    And you live in Canada where hitting 70deg is a heat wave come on down to the lower south and you will be singing a different tune I am sure.
    I rode the 2013 RT last summer in a ride that was in ambient temperature of 35 degrees Celcius (95 fahrenheit)for about 250 miles without issue.
    The temperatures up here do go much higher than 70F. Have ridden the ST and my GS in similar conditions, with no issues.
    So if ambient temps are excessive is that the machines fault? Some HD owners in Southern US also have heat issues and I will hazard to speculate that other motorcycle manufacturers have similar issues.

Spyder Garage

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bn2wild View Post
    I am glad you are OK, sorry about your bike...

You know what always sticks out in my mind? I see lots of people joining our group here and on facebook, and they are always so proud of their new 2013 Spyder that they got and love it.
    We all know it was a fabulous bike, but I always wonder if anyone ever says "hey the 2013's have a history of catching fire"?
    Then I think, what if I didn't know this and bought one... Would someone tell me? How would I know before I bought it?

I think there has to be a notice when selling these 2013's to people!

WHERE IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY?????????
    MAKE IT RIGHT BRP!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    I rode the 2013 RT last summer in a ride that was in ambient temperature of 35 degrees Celcius (95 fahrenheit)for about 250 miles without issue.
    The temperatures up here do go much higher than 70F. Have ridden the ST and my GS in similar conditions, with no issues.
    So if ambient temps are excessive is that the machines fault? Some HD owners in Southern US also have heat issues and I will hazard to speculate that other motorcycle manufacturers have similar issues.
    Don't bother to hazard we could care less about anything but our $30k Spyder. 250mi. is a trip to the store for most of us it takes time for things to melt and includes a lot of stop and go and sitting in traffic riding. You can defend all you want but they admitted a problem when they issued a recall and told people at events a fix (in addition to recal) was coming soon. That was several months ago and not a peep has been heard.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

spydee owner

Default fire

Just saying that get all the facts before posting.
    Yes, report to NHTSB, (that in my opinion is the way to go).
    Pictures do not tell the story without the documented facts of the investigation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was it a recall?
    Or a Technical Service Bulletin?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Was it a recall?
    Or a Technical Service Bulletin?
    It was a Recall for the tinfoil fix Bob.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Since I had no dog in that fight; I honestly wasn't paying attention as to exactly how it went down...

spydee owner

Default fire

Don't bother to hazard we could care less about anything but our $30k Spyder. 250mi. is a trip to the store for most of us it takes time for things to melt and includes a lot of stop and go and sitting in traffic riding. You can defend all you want but they admitted a problem when they issued a recall and told people at events a fix (in addition to recal) was coming soon. That was several months ago and not a peep has been heard.
    The 250 mile trip I mentioned was just one of many trips on the bike.
    So now you are representing everyone that owns a 2013 model ( we could care less about anything but our $30k Spyder)?
    I am not defending anyone just asking for facts before making accusations.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    I don't worry so much about traveling down the road and catching fire. The machines don't really "blow up". They catch fire. Doesn't take long to brake and dump it. Hopefully you are not on the Golden Gate at rush hour! My concern has been parking in my ATTACHED garage. Come back from a ride, put her in the garage and a while later your HOUSE is gone! That is my concern, right now.

BINGO! That's why mine went into a storage unit.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not sell the bike; take the money, and buy something that you can enjoy?
    Letting it sit in storage; just seems like a good waste of cash...

Spyder Garage

Default And I thought I had heat problems!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    This community has been very helpful. I will update you all on what happens as things progress at the very least.
    Dat Guy,

First of all, it is so fantastic that you were able to notice the problem when you did and got away safely. If anything good can be said about your experience THAT would be it.

Please DO keep us updated, on both the outcome of your experience with BRP, and if you can discover exactly why the fire occurred. I'm very concerned because, just last week I had my dealer wrap both exhaust headers and I added a lot of reflective heat tape around the top of the engine compartment (and underside of panels) to reflect heat away from the seat openings. It seems to have done some good, but obviously now I'm hoping that these "fixes" didn't create worse problems.

BRP seems to have resolved the issue on 2014 models, but they owe it to the rest of us to resolve it as well, regardless of the expense. Please do take seriously other's suggestion here that you file a report with the NHTSA. That's the only way that the problem will be satisfactorily corrected for everyone.

You have every right to be furious, and I hope they make things right for you. And again, SO glad you suffered no personal injury in this extremely unfortunate event.
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-27-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

The 250 mile trip I mentioned was just one of many trips on the bike.
    So now you are representing everyone that owns a 2013 model ( we could care less about anything but our $30k Spyder)?
    I am not defending anyone just asking for facts before making accusations.
    Last post to you I am not going to keep just for you to learn what you should already know. If you had done the reading last year about this issue you would have a clue about what I am talking about . They fact is another 2013 has gone up in flames and it is not like an airplane to figure out what happened all the evidence is pretty much melted or burned. Yes you are defending BRP and not the owners of the bikes. Other years had some fires too but it is most prevalent on the 2013 RT & ST. Go take a long ride as I sit home waiting for the temps to go below 100deg because I simply will not chance doing myself or the bike any damage at this point. We have 60+ days a year above 90deg do you?

Spyder Garage

It was a Recall for the tinfoil fix Bob.
    WHAT RECALL?? I haven't been notified about it, and it sure does not come up in BUDS.

UPDATE: Updated information on this in post #112.
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-27-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Glad you were not injured!! Great presence of mind to get is safely stopped and away from it!! Will look forward to hearing the final resolution of this for you.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I hate to say it but me too...

An interesting thing. Of the 4 that have burned or caught fire, 2 happened in California where humidity is low and temps can be 95 easy in the summer! Coincidence?

Bob
    I am glad that Dat Guy is okay, and pray that things works out for him in regards of the bike. As for the fact that two fire were in California. Could it be because we get to ride more due to the weather?
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I seem to recall a study about how much folks ride in the different States...
    California wasn't the highest...
    But you guys DID rack up some miles!

You could probably Google it, and get the correct numbers...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder4Tess View Post
    Sad to see!

Are you other guys carrying fire extinguishers now?
    Total waste of time and money. You can't get to the source of the fire when it is under the tupperware.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I have had dealings with Carlo regarding heat issues, boiling gas, etc. and I do not like him. He is condescending, and just spouts the company line. I have never been able to get a straight answer out of him and I would bet that anyone who has dealt with him would feel the same way. BRP is great at keep their head in the sand, and terrible about everything else when it comes to customer service - as in there is none. Good luck with your dealings with them, and I hope that all is resolved to your satisfaction. Also, really glad you were uninjured. A machine can be replaced, but you cannot.
    He was a nice guy then he was gone for a while came back a different guy.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdr View Post
    Are you serious? Spyder a very DANGEROUS machine?

Accident happen....

I am glad he is unhurt... and safe.
    Yes, he is very serious.

So you personally know what caused this fire before anyone else? We on this forum do not know what mods have been made to this bike either by BRP or the owner. The owner of this machine stated that he spent thousands to correct the heat problem.
    Really, on a 2013 that is under warranty.

I have owned 4 spyders one was a 2013 RT .............. put 7500 miles on it without issue. Traded for a 2013 ST Ltd.
    In my opinion, people such as yourself do incite dislike and mistrust.
    Also, even though I have had no dealings with Carlo at BRP, many people on this forum seem to like him and find him helpful.
    If you dislike these -in your own words- dangerous machines, why don't you just sell it and buy a Toyota or GM or Ford or Honda or HD product? They have all had recalls for a variety of things.
    I don't care if some on this forum find this post a little salty or acidic, get out your flame throwers I can take it.
    Wait for the facts of the fire investigation, then start spouting off!
    I put 13,000 miles in 13 weeks on a 2013 RTS and most of those miles were in the desert southwest. If you have been around this site for more a year you know what the outcome was for me. I have nearly identical pictures as DatGuy. Also, those people that seem to like him probably haven't had the opportunity to talk to him lately.

I don't mean to beat you up on this but it takes more than 250 miles to melt through parts on the Spyder. When the recall was issued for the master cylinder (which included wrapping the evap canister and the parking brake cable) there were a lot of 13s that had melting parts and each one of them was one hot ride away from burning up.

Thank God he wasn't hurt and that he didn't start a wildfire.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    These fires are not "accidents". They are the result of serious design flaws that BRP refuses to address. On the whole, Spyders are safer that 2 wheelers. But if one starts burning under your butt, you might change your mind as to weather or not they can ​be dangerous.
    At least, BRP adress some issues with an update of the ECM. May be it's not perfect, but they did something. If NHTSA or TRANSPORT CANADA find this situation hazardous and dangerous, they will have BRP to make a recall for a safety issue (like the gas cap). But they didn't...???

Spyder Garage

I am so glad there were no injuries or wildfires because of this latest 2013 Spyder fire.

The heat issues seem to be a problem with all years (except 2014) and most models. I had a 2009 originally and now have a 2012. I traded to the 2012 thinking the heat issue wouldn't be as bad as the 2009. I have pics of red marks on my right leg from riding the 2009. I got the 2012 in January and riding it during the winter months was fine, but now that the temps are up, I am having the same heat issues. I can't go riding past 8am.

The service department at my dealer is horrendous. I took the 2012 in 2 weeks after I bought it because it wouldn't down shift itself. They had it for 4 weeks, said they tore everything apart, said they never found a problem and blamed my riding skills. I'm afraid to take it in to complain about heat issues. It won't do any good anyway.

Maybe all of us who have heat issues should file a complaint with the NHTSA? BRP might then be forced to do something about it??

Spyder Garage

My biggest concern is after a ride as well....I let it sit in the driveway. I have an attached garage and house fire could result in more danger than just the ting burning at the side of the road.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder4Tess View Post
    Sad to see!

Are you other guys carrying fire extinguishers now?
    What for? By the time you know there is a fire and pull over, you need to get away! NOW! Its already too late to save the bike. Don't be a hero.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You can see in the last picture his pipes are wrapped. So it's an interesting question if BRP will consider that an issue for warranty coverage.

Bob
    At this point, there IS NO WARRANTY COVERAGE. The bike is a total loss. Its an insurance issue, not a warranty claim. I've been through this, although not with a Spyder.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame