Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that the situation has greatly improved!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    Now you're really killing my OCD!
    Does this help

OCD Nightmare.jpg

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
    I certainly understand why BRP would want the burned bike. They would not be the ones to hire engineers and investigators. If insurance companies see a pattern large enough to expend the money for an investigation then things would possibly moPve along. I never stated, nor believe, that BRP would pay for the investigation. I hope all afflicted owners are dealt with properly.
    Why wouldn't BRP hire investigators or engineers? They have the most to lose if they can not determine the cause of the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Ann Who replaced your Spyder, BRP or your insurance company???

Jack
    I replaced my Spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbuch9309 View Post
    You're getting into the game a little late. The fire in your link happened in June of 2013, followed by a fire in Canada on 08/01/13 and my fire on 08/07/13. Another fire on Christmas Day and now Dat Guy's last weekend.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do you mean, "CDO"?
    After all; shouldn't it be alphabetized?
    Isn't is albaphetized?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You listed 5 fires.
    I'd like to know where and when this one was?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/mpo/4527650853.html

I posted this one before, but I can't get anyone on craigslist to comment on it.
    Is it the 6 fire?

A friend bought his wife a new Ford Escape within a year there was a recall. He was told not to drive it. Ford would pick it up and give them a loner until the could resolve the problem. He decided to drive it to the dealer and pick up the loner as he needed to get it done. It took the dealer sometime to aquire the loner because their lot was full of the recall cars from other owners. Anyway the problem was the motor would get up to temp and the trans would spew fluid on the exhaust pipe causing fire.
    The fix was easy. It was not a mechanical problem, but was a big software issue.
    Took the techs from start to finish 8hrs to reload new software.
    Back to the Monday/Friday thing.
    Back to Mechanical or software.
    FInding a software issue in a burned down anything you'd better be on your "A" game.
    Last edited by scarecrow; 07-31-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There are other Fires beyond those. I purchased a trailer hitch from a burned out RS last year in GA. I know another few former members had fires with RS's as well, (some guy with the shark looking front decal kit), and mine. They were not 2013's nor RTs. So spontaneous combustion while on the vehicle is, jarring to say the least.

My issue is being sorted out elsewhere, and when that is finalized I will be filing a report with the NHTSA so that current or future Spyder Lovers can have information and facts. My wreckage is being investigated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
    There are other Fires beyond those. I purchased a trailer hitch from a burned out RS last year in GA. I know another few former members had fires with RS's as well, (some guy with the shark looking front decal kit), and mine. They were not 2013's nor RTs. So spontaneous combustion while on the vehicle is, jarring to say the least.

My issue is being sorted out elsewhere, and when that is finalized I will be filing a report with the NHTSA so that current or future Spyder Lovers can have information and facts. My wreckage is being investigated.
    It has been my understanding that the fires in the early RS were caused by the hose to the evap canister and I have not heard of one of them burning in a couple of years. If you have an issue why don't you report it to the NHTSA now, rather than late?
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    These fires are not "accidents". They are the result of serious design flaws that BRP refuses to address. On the whole, Spyders are safer that 2 wheelers. But if one starts burning under your butt, you might change your mind as to weather or not they can ​be dangerous.
    What do you know about BRP refuses to adress those Spyder fires? It's easy behind a keyboard to make this affirmation. They had a recall as I know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    You listed 5 fires.
    I'd like to know where and when this one was?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/mpo/4527650853.html

I posted this one before, but I can't get anyone on craigslist to comment on it.
    Is it the 6 fire?

A friend bought his wife a new Ford Escape within a year there was a recall. He was told not to drive it. Ford would pick it up and give them a loner until the could resolve the problem. He decided to drive it to the dealer and pick up the loner as he needed to get it done. It took the dealer sometime to aquire the loner because their lot was full of the recall cars from other owners. Anyway the problem was the motor would get up to temp and the trans would spew fluid on the exhaust pipe causing fire.
    The fix was easy. It was not a mechanical problem, but was a big software issue.
    Took the techs from start to finish 8hrs to reload new software.
    Back to the Monday/Friday thing.
    Back to Mechanical or software.
    FInding a software issue in a burned down anything you'd better be on your "A" game.
    Just looking at the front wheels that should be pre 2013. Maybe a 2012 or 11. Unless of course they are not the original front wheels.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It could be a 2013...
    Those might be the wheels of a base-model RS or ST...

Spyder Garage

It could be a 2013...
    Those might be the wheels of a base-model RS or ST...
    Is that style wheel not a 14 inch? All the 2013's had the 15 inch I do believe. I have however been wrong before so it could be a 13.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just checked the 2013 brochure...
    The base models carried a 15" wheel on those bikes, that looked an awful lot like the earlier RT wheels...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    The problem with the Chevy Corvair was that so many mechanics did not know how to work on it. I worked for a guy who was a retired GM engineer who could make them sing. He had so much business, just with Corvairs, that his garage was sometimes mistaken for a used car lot, and people would come in to buy

I suspect some of our issues may very well have to do with the quality of the mechanic that some dealerships employ. Some of you know that the dealership where I bought my RT left parts off the rear brake when they performed the recall work. I am happy to report that, to date, the ECM update seems to have resolved the extreme heat that was giving me 1st degree burns on my thighs when I rode for more than an hour. The glove box area no longer gets extremely hot, nor do I have the terrible heat shooting out from the seat lock mechanism, when the seat is open. I've put over 3,000 miles on my Spyder since the ECM update (bulletin 2013-9 I think?) and am very happy with how it runs. Will it someday turn into a pile of slag on the side of the road? Who knows? But I plan on riding as often as I can, and will cross that bridge if I ever come to it.
    Yes, I had the same kind of problems with mechanics working on my Corvairs, so I started doing my own work and later wound up working on other peoples Corvairs and just like the guy you worked with, I turned my garage into a Corvair shop. Before to long I had more work than I could keep up with. All it takes is doing good work and treating customers right. Fortunately I bought my 2013 RS-S Spyder from a great dealer, (Clems in Enumclaw) and have put on over 4000 miles with zero problems.

Spyder Garage

I just checked the 2013 brochure...
    The base models carried a 15" wheel on those bikes, that looked an awful lot like the earlier RT wheels...
    Like this!
    ST_3-4_Mag_13[1].jpg

So yes it could be a 2013.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default geezzzzz

glad you are ok.. what a mind mess up that had to be

sidenote

anyone want to buy a 2012 rs se5 with 4 and 1/2 hrs on it for 14 grand...with a Few mods

these treads make me nervous and make me want to buy another BMW

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SpyderAnn01;850295]Why wouldn't BRP hire investigators or engineers? They have the most to lose if they can not determine the cause of the fire.

I replaced my Spyder.

You're getting into the game a little late. The fire in your link happened in June of 2013, followed by a fire in Canada on 08/01/13 and my fire on 08/07/13. Another fire on Christmas Day and now Dat Guy's last weekend.[/QUOTE

No insurance? I thought BRP replaced it or your insurance reimbursed you. Or maybe your not supposed to say.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    Just looking at the front wheels that should be pre 2013. Maybe a 2012 or 11. Unless of course they are not the original front wheels.
    Look at the last frame. Serial number with 2013 below. It was a 2013.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 07-31-2014 at 10:54 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I noticed back at post #55 there are 4 pictures of Spyders on fire, the first three are clearly not 2013s, the 4th one I can't tell what year, but later on someone asks if all 4 spyders that burned were all 2013s and later got an answer of yes, so if there were 4 2013s that caught on fire, that would at least make it a total of 7 fires. Later someone posted a picture of a burned up 2013 on craigs list, don't know if that one was one of the original 2013s that burned or not. I have a feeling, that through the years not every spyder fire was reported to the NHTSA.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you think that the owners of the burned-bikes care about what year they were?
    Fact is... they burned!
    End Of Story!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HuckFin View Post
    I noticed back at post #55 there are 4 pictures of Spyders on fire, the first three are clearly not 2013s, the 4th one I can't tell what year, but later on someone asks if all 4 spyders that burned were all 2013s and later got an answer of yes, so if there were 4 2013s that caught on fire, that would at least make it a total of 7 fires. Later someone posted a picture of a burned up 2013 on craigs list, don't know if that one was one of the original 2013s that burned or not. I have a feeling, that through the years not every spyder fire was reported to the NHTSA.
    We were speaking of 2013 RTs and someone brought up the old GS/RS fires. Two different things, when they issued the fix for the GS/RS it is my understanding that there have been no further fires. I have knowledge of 5 2013 RTs that have burned. I do not know anything about the Craigslist Spyder, it could be a 6th or it could be the remains of the Christmas Day fire.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Do you think that the owners of the burned-bikes care about what year they were?
    Fact is... they burned!
    End Of Story!
    Don't know if that was addressed to me, if so I wasn't speaking to owners of burned-bikes but to others who have commented and posted pictures on this thread.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Look at the last frame. Serial number with 2013 below. It was a 2013.

Jack
    I caught the same thing. Also look at the muffler. It's an RT.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do these numbers include a red RT that I see a lot of parts for on ebay? It's a 10'-12' from the VA area if I remember correct.

I think the early gs/rs fires and the new, more recent RT fires are totally unrelated..

Spyder Garage

Just an update:

I've had the opportunity to speak with Carlo from BRP several times and they flew one of their technical guys named Dany out to look at what is left of my Spyder today. I answered all of their questions and hope it will help them in finding out what happened. I don't have anything more than that to add, but I know you guys would want to know that they are taking action and are working on finding out what happened. There have been no secret conversations or agreements between BRP and myself, and I can say they have been very straightforward, honest, and polite during this whole thing. If I can update you folks with anything they find later on I will.