Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Broke key off in ignition

Anyone know of an easy way to fish out a broken off key in my ignition. The seat release lever seized up on me, and after being stranded at the gas station for about 30 mins, I got a little "physical" and broke off the key. Dealer wants to put a whole new ignition on it for $400 bucks, im sure he would!!! There are no locksmiths in the area.

Spyder Garage

No good ideas. possible room for a crochet hook to go down one side, turn a little and ease up??????
    Enought of the key sticking up to grip with a pair of needle nose pliers ??

Would NOT try to do anything with a magnet in that area. More knowledgeable people might have a better idea

that switch assembly might a mess to install with all it does and the adjustments so they work right.
    Good Luck is all I can really say.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

You could try superglue . . . maybe you could get enough bond between the key parts to pull out the broken piece?? Be careful not to use so much you end up glueing the broken piece in the lock

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I just looked it up in the service manual and the only solution there was replace the ignition switch and reprogram the DESS unit. That's exactly what the dealer told you. Sorry I was hoping something different. I hope you can macgyver the broken piece out.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FIND a locksmith; it's your only hope to try and avoid spending the BIG bucks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Epoxy..!!

if you use a thin line of 5min epoxy and touch the two parts you should get enough grip to get the piece out. Super glue needs a clean perfect surface. This has worked for me in the past...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    if you use a thin line of 5min epoxy and touch the two parts you should get enough grip to get the piece out. Super glue needs a clean perfect surface. This has worked for me in the past...

cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Epoxy scares me in this situation...
    It seems all-too likely, that you could end up getting some of it mixed into the tumblers and moving parts within the switch...
    Then; you're at the dealers with a long face, and STILL writing a big check!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The big question is: is the key still turned any bit at all or is everything straight?
    If everything is straight you've got a good chance at fishing it out of there.
    If it is turned at all its unlikely you'll be able to straighten the key assembly and pull the piece out.

Hey, give it a shot. Worst case is replacement and you've already been told that need to be done......
    Good luck!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Perform Surgery!

I think if you can get yourself a set of good quality pointed surgical tweezers, you could fish that key bit out. Mine have found good duty and have been handy for other difficult delicate retrieval operations.

Chas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChasCS View Post
    I think if you can get yourself a set of good quality pointed surgical tweezers, you could fish that key bit out. Mine have found good duty and have been handy for other difficult delicate retrieval operations.

Chas
    I agree. I used them on my old Honda ST1300 to retrieve a broken key.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Getting a grip

Yes, they have those tiny milled grooves that really grab small objects very well.

You live in The Fort, so definitely close enough to meet us Spyder Ryder's and others at the Petro Can (165ave and 97st) station for our Wednesday night meet ups!

& then there is the North Meets South ride on August 10th, down to Sylvan Lake. Yeah, hopefully we will be finally meeting a bunch of Spyder Ryder's coming up from Calgary.
    To bad the North group got rained out last Saturday. This will be rain or shine, & we are going.

Chas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChasCS View Post
    Yes, they have those tiny milled grooves that really grab small objects very well.

You live in The Fort, so definitely close enough to meet us Spyder Ryder's and others at the Petro Can (165ave and 97st) station for our Wednesday night meet ups!

& then there is the North Meets South ride on August 10th, down to Sylvan Lake. Yeah, hopefully we will be finally meeting a bunch of Spyder Ryder's coming up from Calgary.
    To bad the North group got rained out last Saturday. This will be rain or shine, & we are going.

Chas
    Chas,
    I am currently without a ride. Crashed my 2014 Triumph Trophy SE in early June and am looking after broken arm and daily physio on my leg since then as well.

I have been very interested in Spyders for years. Did you purchase yours from Martin Motor Sports? Which location? How are they for knowledge / competence ?

A friend of mine was not so sure about them and bought his from Turple in Red Deer.

Norm

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nakerr View Post
    Chas,
    I am currently without a ride. Crashed my 2014 Triumph Trophy SE in early June and am looking after broken arm and daily physio on my leg since then as well.

I have been very interested in Spyders for years. Did you purchase yours from Martin Motor Sports? Which location? How are they for knowledge / competence ?

A friend of mine was not so sure about them and bought his from Turple in Red Deer.

Norm
    Norm,
    Get better soon... Was that the 1200 SE?
    Yes Martin Deerline South Side location near White Mud Freeway. Friendly helpful sales staff and very approachable service department, with plenty of knowledgable experienced staff that are also Ryder's of Spyder's, who seem eager to help customers have a great experience. They are simply awesome in there. Only 30 blocks from my front door. ;-)

I have only had the pleasure of talking to various staff on the phone at the West end location, and they were also extremely friendly and smiled easily as we spoke several times very recently.

Plenty of brand new and older stock models that can be trial ridden too. Go in when you have a chance and have a look around. Ask for Marc or Kim.

All are welcome to come on Wednesday nights, there are some people who stop by to talk and share stories that actually come to the gathering in four wheels.

Chas
    Last edited by ChasCS; 07-27-2014 at 01:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Ending...

Did you ever get the key out? If so, how?

Spyder Garage

never did get the key out. Trying to put off the large bill. There are no local lock smiths in my area, and I would hate to ride it over a long distance to have it worked on and end up being stranded due to something getting screwed up.

I purchased an IPS key holder and tried it. It would work, however, the key holder can be pulled off very easily, maybe during a large bump even.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRY THIS

Quote Originally Posted by hartsock1986 View Post
    never did get the key out. Trying to put off the large bill. There are no local lock smiths in my area, and I would hate to ride it over a long distance to have it worked on and end up being stranded due to something getting screwed up.

I purchased an IPS key holder and tried it. It would work, however, the key holder can be pulled off very easily, maybe during a large bump even.
    If you have or know someone who does or know where you can get...........a 6 inch piece of MIG welding wire ....the thinner the better......This stuff is extremely stiff and strong......make a really small hook at the end.... Make a 90 degree bend at the other end.....Then try and slide this in alongside your key.....If this works turn the hook when you reach the bottom and try and catch the key.....if you do , you may need to use pliers to pull the key out.......you only need to get enough of the key out to grab that part with needle nose pliers and remove the rest ......Good Luck ...Mike

Spyder Garage

thanks for the idea, I will give it a shot

Spyder Garage

go to a local jewelry store and purchase a small jeweler file, the teeth are small and will
    fit next to the key, Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Hemostats. You may need to grind the tips a little to thin it enough to grab it.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I use a coping saw blade on broken keys all the time, office desks and file cabinets mostly but concept is the same, it is small enough to fit between key and cylinder and has sharp teeth on one side and smooth on backside,usually you get almost to the end and you can grab with needle nose

good luck

Spyder Garage

If the key is not turned when it broke, use an air compressor and an air chuck to blow and lift the key out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

....and I use a dental pick.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    ....and I use a dental pick.
    How about a magnet. If the key is metal and the magnet strong enough it might work. Just a thought.

Traded in - 2013 RT SE5 Limited - Pearl White
    Mods Mods
    Tri Axis handlebars
    GPS mount for the Tri Axis handlebars
    Ultimate seat with driver backrest
    Driver cup holder
    3rd Brake light -truck
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    Bayaron swaybar with Heim links
    Lidlox

Spyder Garage

Anyone know of an easy way to fish out a broken off key in my ignition. The seat release lever seized up on me, and after being stranded at the gas station for about 30 mins, I got a little "physical" and broke off the key. Dealer wants to put a whole new ignition on it for $400 bucks, im sure he would!!! There are no locksmiths in the area.
    Get some WD-40 and two strong paper clips...spray the WD-40 in the ignition don't spray to much ( don't drown it out) then take the paper clip and bend it to a U shape and close it in to form a little grip kind of like chop sticks the other paper clip you need to bend it straight your going to need this to hold back the little clip in the ignition that keep tension on the key( this is what keeps your key from flying out when riding ..now go to work..take your time the WD-40 will make it come out easy..when all is lost well you can take the ignition off yourself and take it out...good luck!!
    Last edited by flexfire; 03-18-2015 at 08:03 AM.