Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cannot Open Funk with Ignition Key

Today, suddenly I cannot open the funk with the ignition key.
    I can open the seat the usual manner but not the funk. Also I noticed the slight "resistance" when I push the ignition key
    down and turn clockwise to open the seat....but not when I puch and turn counter-clockwise to open the funk.

Any other way of opening the funk? I suspect its the ignition switch that is faulty and needs replacement (under warranty).
    Explained to the dealer but the service advisor said to take it in for diagnosis. That means I have to make 2 round trips to the dealership which is about 45-60 minutes each way depending on traffic.
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    I can open the seat the usual manner but not the funk. Also I noticed the slight "resistance" when I push the ignition key
    down and turn clockwise to open the seat....but not when I puch and turn counter-clockwise to open the funk.

Any other way of opening the funk? I suspect its the ignition switch that is faulty and needs replacement (under warranty).
    Explained to the dealer but the service advisor said to take it in for diagnosis. That means I have to make 2 round trips to the dealership which is about 45-60 minutes each way depending on traffic.
    Have you tried pushing the top of the Frunk by the latch as you turn the key? Mine sticks sometimes, and this works
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But the OTHER choice; is that something has come adrift within the system.
    There have been posts in here about how to wangle the frunklid open with a push-rod...
    Perhaps a search of the threads will find it...
    (I'll do some digging for it also! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Get it fixed

My '14 RT ignition was just replaced under warranty because the frunk lock wouldn't function properly. Its a pain to take it to the dealer (my 2 round trips are 600 miles so I feel for 'ya), but this is not an intermittent problem, and will only get worse.

Several riders have been stranded when the ignition switch "ate their key" and couldn't get it in, out or turned on. FWIW, my dealer fiddled with the ignition and pronounced it "fixed". I had decided to get tri axis bars installed while the RT was there, so during the disassembly of the stock bars and ignition area, the ignition locked up on them. They immediately got the warranty claim going and replaced the ignition telling me that they had no idea how they had gotten it to work so well just a few days before - they could see the components clearly malfunctioning and freezing up when they had it out. My key was not in the area of the tech service bulletin to be replaced, but it was under an "open campaign" banner, whatever that means.

Good luck with the repairs!

Spyder Garage

Same issue here. Still doing the warranty dance with my dealer. I can always get mine to open or lock if I "play" with it a lot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I seem to remember something about the rubber coming loose and sticking up, keeping the frunk from opening
    Maybe just my old mind as well
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I assume you are talking about your 2013 ST since it is in the ST form. All spyder have used the same ignition switch from 2010 to 2013. For the most part they have been trouble free. Not like the 2014 switch. So I would be surprised it was an ignition switch problem. The issue that comes up more often and matches your description is that the cable comes off under the ignition switch or from the fork at the latch.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Call..!!

If this is the 2014 have the ignition changed. Call ahead and make an appointment and tell them you have to wait for it. You can get a thin blade screw driver in there and release the latch. Many have added an additional pull cable release hidden under tupper for these occasions...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for all your responses. Much appreciated.
    I will be taking the STS to the dealership tomorrow to have it check.
    Meantime, will see if pressing down on the latch while turning the ignition key will help.

Certainly looks like the ignition switch needs to be replaced (sooner or later).
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Spyder Garage

Default Disclosure....

My visit to the dealership disclosed that the "cable that connect to the latch came loose" so it could not unlatch the funk when you turned
    the ignition key to do open the funk. They had to pry open the frunk and unfortunately cracked the inside of the funk (ouch).

The service advisor was nice enough to inform me of what happened and told me they will be ordering a replacement
    funk lid for me. Oh well, at least I can now open my funk. To think of it, I will be able to break in the STS with just all this back-and-forth
    trips to the dealership.
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Spyder Garage

Um, it's a frunk (front trunk), not a funk... that's the smell after Bob leaves the bathroom.

Spyder Garage

My visit to the dealership disclosed that the "cable that connect to the latch came loose" so it could not unlatch the funk when you turned
    the ignition key to do open the funk. They had to pry open the frunk and unfortunately cracked the inside of the funk (ouch).

The service advisor was nice enough to inform me of what happened and told me they will be ordering a replacement
    funk lid for me. Oh well, at least I can now open my funk. To think of it, I will be able to break in the STS with just all this back-and-forth
    trips to the dealership.
    I unhooked the cable to my frunk (on the ignition end) very easily when I thought the keys were locked in it. I was then able to pull on the cable to release the frunk. I had to take off the tupperware to get it back on. It took me 6 hours of messing around to excute a 30 second fix. These machines can be maddening.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I unhooked the cable to my frunk (on the ignition end) very easily when I thought the keys were locked in it. I was then able to pull on the cable to release the frunk. I had to take off the tupperware to get it back on. It took me 6 hours of messing around to excute a 30 second fix. These machines can be maddening.

Just sayin'............

He said it was unhooked at the frunk though.

Spyder Garage

trips to the dealership.
    So the dealer messed up twice.

If I understand you correctly. The cable came unhooked at the latch. The dealer makes that connection after installing the frunk (god I hate that word). They did not pinch the fork closed after installing the cable, to stop the cable from coming off. Then they had to open the hood and broke it. Someone who knows how it works should have been able to get a stiff wire in there and got it open without breaking anything.

From time to time stuff happens and sometimes twice so maybe the dealer will be trouble free from now on.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

If I understand you correctly. The cable came unhooked at the latch. The dealer makes that connection after installing the frunk (god I hate that word). They did not pinch the fork closed after installing the cable, to stop the cable from coming off. Then they had to open the hood and broke it. Someone who knows how it works should have been able to get a stiff wire in there and got it open without breaking anything.

From time to time stuff happens and sometimes twice so maybe the dealer will be trouble free from now on.

Frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk

Spyder Garage

Sorry

Spyder Garage

Actually, the reverse happen. The ignition switch could not open the funk. So they forced open the lid by prying it open. In the process, cracked the inside of the lid. They explained saying the fault was not on the ignition switch but something about the cable coming loose.
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Spyder Garage

Actually, the reverse happen. The ignition switch could not open the funk. So they forced open the lid by prying it open. In the process, cracked the inside of the lid. They explained saying the fault was not on the ignition switch but something about the cable coming loose.

See post number 11

Lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk frunk

Now that's just being mean.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

it appears that I should have made my point more simply. I did not get it reversed. Cable came off latch. Dealer broke hood to get at latch. Both the dealers fault.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cannot Open Funk with Ignition Key

Do yourself a favor and put a wire from the latch to somewhere on the left side that is hidden so you can pop the frunk lid if this happens again. I saw that advice on this site last year and also made a hidden emergency pull for the seat after the cable for the seat froze up. I haven 't needed it but it's good insurance.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Now that's just being mean.

Sorry

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Sorry

Gibbs rule #3, never apologize, it shows weakness.

sorry to but in.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    Gibbs rule #3, never apologize, it shows weakness.

sorry to but in.

I'm just trying to stay out of trouble

Spyder Garage

I have had this happen. the cable broke and needs to be replaced.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.