Registered Users Top End Unlimited's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Newbie ! I need a little help please !

I think I might have posted in the wrong area, so I'll try here. I thought I was about to run out of fuel on my 2012 RT. (which I just bought the 19th of July.) I was on the "E" mark for a few blocks. I stopped and filled it, and it only took 4.5 Gal. I do have a separate gauge other than the screen. Any help ? BTW, I have riden Harleys up until now and I will say, I won't be going back. Love this machine !

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Normal results

Analog gauge is not that accurate. The digital one is closer to being correct. Fuel tank has a weird shape designed to fit in/around 'stuff'. Me? I just stop and fill up adding 4.5 gallons of fuel. After a few fill ups you will learn to 'read' the gauge.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks Don, I can see it's going to be a lot of fun riding and meeting/talking with other owners. Enjoy the ride !!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once you get an idea of the fuel mileage that your bike gets; it'll give you a better idea of the range... Use your trip odometers for fill-ups...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BETTER THAN A GAS GAUGE

.....This works for me, after you have put a few hundred miles on your ride you should have some idea of what your normal , average fuel consumption is going to be. I have always filled the tank at every fuel stop and ..zeroed the mileage ......then when you refill you can get an accurate MPG figure......PS only use " 6 " gallons as full tank ...you really can't get much more in there because of the design of the tank......So if you are getting 30 MPG......figure 160 miles per tank and you will be safe, that gives you 20 miles to get gas..........I also always carry a cheapo aluminum water bottle 16 to 24 oz., ....filled with gas just in case...................Good Luck ...Enjoy .....Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....This works for me, after you have put a few hundred miles on your ride you should have some idea of what your normal , average fuel consumption is going to be. I have always filled the tank at every fuel stop and ..zeroed the mileage ......then when you refill you can get an accurate MPG figure......PS only use " 6 " gallons as full tank ...you really can't get much more in there because of the design of the tank......So if you are getting 30 MPG......figure 160 miles per tank and you will be safe, that gives you 20 miles to get gas..........I also always carry a cheapo aluminum water bottle 16 to 24 oz., ....filled with gas just in case...................Good Luck ...Enjoy .....Mikeguyver
    Thanks Bluenight, I was thinking about 30 mpg so I will just go with that. Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default NOT YOUR BEST OPTION

Quote Originally Posted by Top End Unlimited View Post
    Thanks Bluenight, I was thinking about 30 mpg so I will just go with that. Chuck
    ............If you choose to do it this way ,,,,then you better carry the extra gas also.......it su*ks to run out of it.......just sayin.........Mikeguyver .

Spyder Garage

I use the odometer for fill ups, on average I get 35 mpg on my STL, I usually start looking for a gas station at 150 miles but can easily go 175 miles or more, this is my second Spyder and I have yet to ever add more than 5 gallons of gas

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited
    2009 GS , Iridium Plugs Red

Spyder Garage

Default Not empty..!!

its a 6.6 gal tank with the air space being that .6. When gauges say empty you have little more than a gal left. I always figure whaterver I am getting to the gal is how far I can go. Best is when the setting is at empty look for a gas station. Congrats on the new ryde and joining in here...welcome..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default odometer is key

I reset my odometer at every fill up. So even when my low fuel light goes on, I still know my target range for mileage. You learn quick what is safe and what is pushing it. Gauges are way more accurate on your HD. My other bike is a Kawasaki Ninja. When you get down to one bar, you are okay for a while, when the one bar starts flashing, you better not let a station go by. I find when the fuel light comes on in the Spyder, there is no need to hit the panic button if your doing city driving.

Spyder Garage

Do not overfill. I am not a mechanic and only go by what I'm told but I had to replace my evaporation canister because I was overfilling my tank. I used to fill it right to the top but after that I only put 4 gallons in at a time.

See this is where we miss Scotty. Scotty would always weigh in from the mechanical side and share his wisdom. Scotty if you're reading this just know that this forum is a mere shadow of what it was with your sage advice. Please come back!
    Bill H.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BHFromme brought up a very important point DO NOT OVERFILL your 2012 or earlier Spyder. Insert the nozzle 1/2" and fill slowly.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks again everyone for your great advice. I can now see that if I have a question that I will get answers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll get answers, opinions, questions, debates, and genral unrelated ramblings... we'll make sure that you're never bored!

Spyder Garage

MouthPiece <--------Unrelated ramblings. Oh. I usually start looking for gas around 110 miles after fill up. (unless you see a sign saying "last chance for gas 75 miles", and you're right at 95).

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhfromme View Post
    Do not overfill. I am not a mechanic and only go by what I'm told but I had to replace my evaporation canister because I was overfilling my tank. I used to fill it right to the top but after that I only put 4 gallons in at a time.

See this is where we miss Scotty. Scotty would always weigh in from the mechanical side and share his wisdom. Scotty if you're reading this just know that this forum is a mere shadow of what it was with your sage advice. Please come back!

Don't need to worry about overfilling the tank. Just stick the nozzle in and when it shuts off, quit. Do not continue to try and top off but you do not need to stop short of a full tank. The vapor hose connection is well above the fill port and CANNOT overfill into the evap canister, its in an air space above the fill port.

There is a problem with the evap system but it is heat related, not an overfill problem with cool fuel. If your dealer told you the above, you need a new dealer or mechanic that has a clue.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 07-24-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    MouthPiece <--------Unrelated ramblings. Oh. I usually start looking for gas around 110 miles after fill up. (unless you see a sign saying "last chance for gas 75 miles", and you're right at 95).

Chris
    Similarly...

I used to look for fuel at about 135 miles with my 2010 RT...
    The 2014 RT allows me to wait until over 190 miles!

(Combination of better economy, a bigger tank, and a MUCH more accurate gauge!)

Spyder Garage

All advice good. The gas gauges (analog or digital) are there to give you a "ballpark" of what is left in the tank. Once you have filled up--I recommend setting a tripmeter to zero. Fill up to the same level each time. Don't overfill. You will note that your refill gas light will come on at mileage X for your particular machine. Usually just a little over a gallon left. Most people fill between 135 and 150 miles. If you get the "usual" 30 mpg, then your looking at 5 gal or less. The important thing is to get to know your particular machine and fill up before you run out. I have stretched it out to 184 miles and 5.8 gallons on my 2010 RTS. The new 2014 RT's are better with average 40 mpg and a 200 mile range between fill ups.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default OR DO THIS

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    BHFromme brought up a very important point DO NOT OVERFILL your 2012 or earlier Spyder. Insert the nozzle 1/2" and fill slowly.
    .........I did this a long time ago......cut the gas line to the canister and put in a plastic " T " from the auto parts store ....then run a new line down away from anything hot........reconnect the other side of the " T " back onto the cannister .......NO FUMES ....NO OVERFLOW OF GAS INTO EVAC CAN .....NO PROBLEMS .......Mikeguyver ......Also NO PICS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    its a 6.6 gal tank with the air space being that .6. When gauges say empty you have little more than a gal left. I always figure whaterver I am getting to the gal is how far I can go. Best is when the setting is at empty look for a gas station. Congrats on the new ryde and joining in here...welcome..!!

Thanks ! Back at you !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    All advice good. The gas gauges (analog or digital) are there to give you a "ballpark" of what is left in the tank. Once you have filled up--I recommend setting a tripmeter to zero. Fill up to the same level each time. Don't overfill. You will note that your refill gas light will come on at mileage X for your particular machine. Usually just a little over a gallon left. Most people fill between 135 and 150 miles. If you get the "usual" 30 mpg, then your looking at 5 gal or less. The important thing is to get to know your particular machine and fill up before you run out. I have stretched it out to 184 miles and 5.8 gallons on my 2010 RTS. The new 2014 RT's are better with average 40 mpg and a 200 mile range between fill ups.

Thank you !