Spyder Garage

Default First order of business for Spyder RT-S SE5 newbie

Thanks in large part to the advice received in this forum, I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a brand new 2012 RT-S SE5.

Beyond the normal advice of drive safe, wear a helmet, don't be stupid ... what advice specific to the RT-S SE5 do you guys have for me?

Based on reading through many threads here, here's what I've picked up on:

1. It's not a motorcycle, so take your time to get used to the handling.
    2. The engine works best at high revs (4,000+). It'll feel strange at first shifting so "late" and cruising at 4-5,000rpm but it's the right thing to do. Don't lug the engine.
    3. Sometimes the engine may not automatically downshift so be aware of gears when slowing/stopping.
    4. There is at least one recall that I think applies to the 2012 (gas cap replacement), make sure I get the new cap with the redish ring (any other recalls I should make sure I have covered?).
    5. Depending on how long I plan to let it sit, I may need a battery tender but not sure.

What else would you tell a first time Spyder buyer to think about in their first week owning an RT-S?

Spyder Garage

You have a pretty good list there. You should be in good shape.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just point your nose into the Wind, and start the grinning...
    But don't forget to brush yoru teeth after each ride! biker.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 lava bronze and I love it! Wishing you many (S)miles! That list is a good start, a couple of others:

Don't ride the brake
    keep your grip relaxed
    I use a tender whenever it sits
    Read the do's and don'ts on this site ( I think most of these are covered)
    Ride every chance you get!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Great start . . . but I'd jack those RPMs up, just a bit . . . I won't accelerate unless I'm turning more than 4500 RPMs . . . cruising at 4,000 seems a bit slow to me. My RT seems happier in the 5,000 to 5,500 range.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Try this..!!

your well on your way with all mentioned above...if you go to forums...general discussion...the first item is of great help...congrats and welcome....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Great start . . . but I'd jack those RPMs up, just a bit . . . I won't accelerate unless I'm turning more than 4500 RPMs . . . cruising at 4,000 seems a bit slow to me. My RT seems happier in the 5,000 to 5,500 range.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

Get in some local rides then sign up for Spyders in the Redwoods! We will see you there! It is just south of you in Eureka, Ca. Starts Aug 4.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzatronic View Post
    Thanks in large part to the advice received in this forum, I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a brand new 2012 RT-S SE5.

Beyond the normal advice of drive safe, wear a helmet, don't be stupid ... what advice specific to the RT-S SE5 do you guys have for me?

Based on reading through many threads here, here's what I've picked up on:

1. It's not a motorcycle, so take your time to get used to the handling.
    2. The engine works best at high revs (4,000+). It'll feel strange at first shifting so "late" and cruising at 4-5,000rpm but it's the right thing to do. Don't lug the engine.
    3. Sometimes the engine may not automatically downshift so be aware of gears when slowing/stopping.
    4. There is at least one recall that I think applies to the 2012 (gas cap replacement), make sure I get the new cap with the redish ring (any other recalls I should make sure I have covered?).
    5. Depending on how long I plan to let it sit, I may need a battery tender but not sure.

What else would you tell a first time Spyder buyer to think about in their first week owning an RT-S?
    make sure it has the quick change oil panel on the left side.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default From What My Dealer Told Me

It is not generally recommended that you let the transmission do the down shifting, it will but to save wear and tear on the brakes, and the transmission, you should actively downshift.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    It is not generally recommended that you let the transmission do the down shifting, it will but to save wear and tear on the brakes, and the transmission, you should actively downshift.
    Huh?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the great replies and PMs.

One thing someone PM'd me about was laser alignment. I checked the ROLO site and see the closest "dealer" that does this is 2 1/2 hours away from me. I don't want to do that type of mileage during the break-in period but will do it soon after.

Does anyone know how long it typically takes? I'd like to get it done in a day since it's a 5 hour round trip on the road.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

have fun, i'm a sunday rider so i do a lot of day trips start with that

Spyder Garage

The alignment takes about an hour. If you are going to the redwoods in August make arrangements with Squared Away they are a vendor on this site.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Dittos on the RPMs. Mine is a 2012 SM5, and it goes against the grain to cruise the highway in 4th gear, but I get better MPGs at 5200 or so RPM in 4th then in the low 4k rpm in 5th. I don't hit 5th unless I'm on the Interstate and road is clear so I can boogie.

If someone made a smaller counter sprocket for the belt I'd probably get it. Rather have a little more off the line than a machine that doesn't want top gear until over 70mph .
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redflasher View Post
    Huh?
    Down shift when the RPM drops to 4,000. Up shift at 5,000 to 5,500. When shifting do not roll off the throttle, the computer will do that for you.

The clutch starts slipping at 3,500, so running at less than 3,500 will prematurely wear out your clutch plate. The only time you should be less than 4,000 RPM is in first gear. The 990 engine is designed to be a real high rev engine. Cruising the freeway at 5,500 gives better mileage than at 4,200. This makes no sense to me....but it is the truth.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Related to the RPM question, how bad is stop and go slow traffic for the clutch? The last two days the ride to work and home has been traffic hell where I spend a lot of time at 10-15mph. Clearly I'm rolling low RPM at this speed in 1st gear. How bad is this for my clutch?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2nd order of business

I have a 2012 Limited. The 12's have stock driver footpegs. After riding for a while the inabilty to move my feet around was translating into a lower back pain. I purchased a set of floorboards and installed them this spring. What a difference. Much more comfortable ride. Wish I had done it sooner. No more back pain.