Spyder Garage

Default brake light modulators---

I know this has been discussed before on here but that said, I have just recently purchased a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard S50 to ride ONE UP on and use the SPYDER for two up riding. I have been interested in making the Boulevard to be more visible and had the bike in to a Suzuki Dealer to get a battery tender installed. Had asked about Brake light modulation. His response was quick and to the point. They are illegal and that BMW has been told they cannot sell bikes in the USA with their brake light modulation system installed.

With this information I contacted the Kansas Highway Patrol and asked point blank about headlight and brakelight modulation. I am going to post the responses I got below. I would advise Spyder Owners to add the 3rd brake light but be careful with the brake light modulation. Read below for more information. You will see that the KHP also looked at FEDERAL LAW as well. Happy reading and be-advised. Use good judgement in all things---and if your state is like KANSAS----contact legislators to get things moving to change the law for safety for all riders.

--------------------------------------------------------READ BELOW KHP RESPONSE BRAKE LIGHT MODULATION----------------------------

I have provided the applicable statutes in reference to your inquiry, below. Chapter 8 Article 18 speaks specifically to motorcycles. I recommend you go to the Kansas Legislature link http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/statute/ and populate the SECTION NUMBER field with 8-1801 and continue clicking on next to view all the statutes specific to motorcycles, except helmet law which is 8-1598.

I do not see where a flashing /modulating brake lamp is currently allowed under current statute as is the modulating headlamp.

8-1702. Approval or disapproval of equipment by secretary of transportation.

(a) The secretary of transportation is hereby required to approve or disapprove any lighting device or other safety equipment, components or assemblies of a type for which approval is specifically required in this act within a reasonable time after such approval has been requested. Such approvals may be based upon certificates of approval and test reports furnished to the secretary by the American association of motor vehicle administrators.

(b) The secretary of transportation is further authorized to establish the procedure to be followed when request for approval of any lighting device or other safety equipment, component or assembly is submitted under this section.

(c) The secretary of transportation shall maintain and publish lists of all such devices, components or assemblies which have been approved by the secretary or under authority contained in this act.

8-1729. Lights and signals; restrictions; exceptions for certain vehicles including school, church and day care buses.

(c) Flashing lights are prohibited except as authorized or required in K.S.A. 8-1717, 8-1720, 8-1721, 8-1722, 8-1723, 8-1730, 8-1730a and 8-1731, and amendments thereto.

8-1801. Headlamps; modulation systems.

(a) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one headlamp which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this article.

(b) Every headlamp upon every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured as set forth in subsection (b) of K.S.A. 8-1704, and amendments thereto.

(c) Any headlamp, required by this section, may be wired with a headlamp modulation system provided the headlamp modulation system complies with federal standards established by 49 C.F.R. § 571.108.

8-1804. Stop lamps, turn signals and side lamps.
    (a) Every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one stop lamp meeting the requirements of subsection (a) of K.S.A. 8-1721, and amendments thereto.

(b) Every motorcycle manufactured after January 1, 1973, shall be equipped with electric turn signals meeting the requirements of subsection (b) of K.S.A. 8-1721, and amendments thereto. Motor-driven cycles may, but need not, be equipped with electric turn signals.

(c) In addition to the lamps otherwise permitted by this article, a motorcycle may be equipped with lamps on the sides thereof, visible from the side of the motorcycle but not from the front or rear thereof, which lamps, together with mountings or receptacles, shall be set into depressions or recesses in the body or wheel of the motorcycle and shall not protrude beyond or outside the body or wheel of the motorcycle. The light source may emit only white, amber or red light without glare.

I looked up the federal regulation to further educate us both.

49 CFR 571.108 - Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

S5.5.10The wiring requirements for lighting equipment in use are:

(a) Turn signal lamps, hazard warning signal lamps, and school bus warning lamps shall be wired to flash;

(b) Headlamps and side marker lamps may be wired to flash for signaling purposes;

(c) A motorcycle headlamp may be wired to allow either its upper beam or its lower beam, but not both, to modulate from a higher intensity to a lower intensity in accordance with section S5.6;

(d) All other lamps shall be wired to be steady-burning.

The KHP ended his informative emails with this:

I am a 2003 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic rider, myself. I too desire to get back home alive and well after a ride. Give me as much lighting and lighting effect as I can get. I pump my brakes when coming to a stop, as well.
    Regarding the hierarchy of law and regulation....States can be more restrictive than the federal government and local jurisdictions can be more restrictive, if not prohibited by state statute than the state. The federal regulations on subject at hand (lighting on vehicles) is the standard from which to begin.
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The KHP Representative is also a rider, and I like his personal response as well...
    Thanks for this information!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Good information, I've had a brake light modulator on my Spyder for a couple of years now here in MA. Been in front of a few officers with them flashing and so far not had any issues. I don't know if they're legal or not but I know they add a bunch of safety for those "texting" drivers.

There not flashing underneath or while I ride only when I break, one would like to think that most officers see this has an extra safety measure and not has some young kid trying to be flash.

I do not want to influence any law breaking you have to make your own mind up but I want to avoid being rear ended.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Kind of the rock/hard place argument.

More lights, modulating lights, etc. are very important to make sure that other drivers can see us.

I had brake light modulator on my last V-Star and never had a LEO stop me over it.

I am noticing few to none anymore of the headlight modulators being in use. I used to find oncoming cycles with them in operation to be "irritating."

We do have a similar thing going on with . Low beam on the can translate to "flashes" to oncoming cars if you are driving on an uneven surface. I have been flashed by oncoming cars many times. Recently, I went to high beam operation and have not had any more flashes or been questioned by LEO.

I have the "third brake light" on the trunk and like that a lot. Gives good visibility. Both akspyderlady and myself practice the "bleeping" of the tail lights when we are going to make a turn, and there is traffic following behind. Two or three quick touches to the brake "lights em up."

If I encounter all the brake lights going on ahead of me while on the highway, I immediately go to four way flashers to alert the cars behind of the impending slow down/stop situation.

Good information from the KHP. Glad you got a great reply. A good idea to check what the law is in your area if you are going to use any modulators.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a headlight modulator on my Kawasaki ZR7. I use it mainly when I am in areas where there is a lot of traffic. One time in a small town I was at a stop sign and a cop was at the opposing stop sign. She pulled up beside me and told me that my headlight was flashing. I told her that I have a modulator on it to make me more visible. I also mentioned that they we specifically allowed by federal law. Her reply was; Huh, you learn something every day.

However sometimes I don't want to push my luck and even get into the discussion and just turn it off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Good information from the KHP. Glad you got a great reply. A good idea to check what the law is in your area if you are going to use any modulators.
    With all due respect to my AK friend, I disagree. If you want to add modulators, just do it. Safety and common sense always trump some antiquated DMV regulation. The headlight modulator for motorcycles usually comes with a photo sensor that keeps them on solid at night, so you would modulate your high beam, and it works during the day only. That is perfectly legal in most states and makes sense regardless. (I've never seen one that would work on a Spyder though. Anyone else seen them?)

I also agree that modulating the brake lights (perhaps followed by a longer steady light) makes a lot of sense for safety. I've been following motorcycle forums for years and have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for having either of these in any state. Nor have I ever heard of anyone having a problem with passing inspection (as long as the headlight does not modulate at night).
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-22-2014 at 09:52 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default brake light modulators---

Basically your brakelights can modulate for four seconds then they have to stay on steady. They shouldn't continue to blink, flash or whatever. Blink all together, wig wag but blink for 4 seconds then stop.

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST Limited
    1983-2004 Goldwings. (5)
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 07-23-2014 at 12:00 AM. Reason: typo
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

More lights, modulating lights, etc. are very important to make sure that other drivers can see us.

I had brake light modulator on my last V-Star and never had a LEO stop me over it.

I am noticing few to none anymore of the headlight modulators being in use. I used to find oncoming cycles with them in operation to be "irritating."

We do have a similar thing going on with . Low beam on the can translate to "flashes" to oncoming cars if you are driving on an uneven surface. I have been flashed by oncoming cars many times. Recently, I went to high beam operation and have not had any more flashes or been questioned by LEO.

I have the "third brake light" on the trunk and like that a lot. Gives good visibility. Both akspyderlady and myself practice the "bleeping" of the tail lights when we are going to make a turn, and there is traffic following behind. Two or three quick touches to the brake "lights em up."

If I encounter all the brake lights going on ahead of me while on the highway, I immediately go to four way flashers to alert the cars behind of the impending slow down/stop situation.

I have the Custom Dynamics modulator and mine is set to flash the brake lights 4 times then they go solid. There are 7 settings on the modulator and I thought this one was both effective and not obnoxious or likely to attract the attention of LEO.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    With all due respect to my AK friend, I disagree. If you want to add modulators, just do it. Safety and common sense always trump some antiquated DMV regulation.
    Bad laws should be changed; NOT ignored...
    Unless you don't mind meeting new people in traffic court!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I have the Custom Dynamics modulator and mine is set to flash the brake lights 4 times then they go solid. There are 7 settings on the modulator and I thought this one was both effective and not obnoxious or likely to attract the attention of LEO.
    Did not know I could get a modulator from CD. Not going to add more at this time and am happy with the "third brake light."

Thanks for posting Ann.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    With all due respect to my AK friend, I disagree. If you want to add modulators, just do it. Safety and common sense always trump some antiquated DMV regulation. The headlight modulator for motorcycles usually comes with a photo sensor that keeps them on solid at night, so you would modulate your high beam, and it works during the day only. That is perfectly legal in most states and makes sense regardless. (I've never seen one that would work on a Spyder though. Anyone else seen them?)

I also agree that modulating the brake lights (perhaps followed by a longer steady light) makes a lot of sense for safety. I've been following motorcycle forums for years and have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for having either of these in any state. Nor have I ever heard of anyone having a problem with passing inspection (as long as the headlight does not modulate at night).
    I believe you are taking "parts" of my post out of context. I don't believe I was anti modulator--and even said I had used them myself. My only comment was to check the laws in your area. I like, lights, and more lights. I have even been accused of being the safety guy.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-23-2014 at 06:22 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I believe you are taking "parts" of my post out of context. I don't believe I was anti modulator--and even said I had used them myself. My only comment was to check the laws in your area. I like, lights, and more lights. I have even been accused of being the safety guy.
    No, I agree with 90% of what you said. I just quoted the part I didn't agree with. All I'm saying is if it makes sense and seriously enhances safety, go for it.

And Bob, I don't mind meeting new friends. But in this case , I'd just take my chances in traffic court, betting that the district justice may also display some common sense.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

No, I agree with 90% of what you said. I just quoted the part I didn't agree with. All I'm saying is if it makes sense and seriously enhances safety, go for it.

And Bob, I don't mind meeting new friends. But in this case , I'd take my chances in traffic court, betting that the district justice may also display some common sense.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link