Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default !2V Accessory Plugs

I know I've seen this somewhere in the forum - I want to install 2 - 12V receptacles left and right - under my speedometer / info display. One for TomTom and one for XM radio . Do I run 2 separate wires from each receptacle to the fuse box ? How and where do I attach them at the fuse box ? Always on is fine or switched is OK too ... whichever is easiest.
    Thanks in advance !!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fleet View Post
    I know I've seen this somewhere in the forum - I want to install 2 - 12V receptacles left and right - under my speedometer / info display. One for TomTom and one for XM radio . Do I run 2 separate wires from each receptacle to the fuse box ? How and where do I attach them at the fuse box ? Always on is fine or switched is OK too ... whichever is easiest.
    Thanks in advance !!!
    Both are low amperage devices and can work on one circuit... only if you never put a higher amperage device in.

Fuse #3 is on with the ignition and fuse #10 (I think) is always on.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I would recommend the Powerlet (BMW type) receptacles. They are smaller and hold more securely. Dltang has two in her console near the dash panel. I think there is a post on here somewhere about it.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I saw that myself and am going to do that type of install under the instrument cluster. My plan is to run the wires from one connector to the other in parallel and then into the fuse box. So basically I will have one pair of wires going to the fuse area. Also I plan on hooking it up at the factory location that you would use if you installing the BRP 12volt plug as this is a switched source and the wires are already there for it. I will be putting a connector in midway so if I need to take the pod off I can just unplug the assembly with out having to remove and wires.

Thanks in advance !!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lightman02 View Post
    I saw that myself and am going to do that type of install under the instrument cluster. My plan is to run the wires from one connector to the other in parallel and then into the fuse box. So basically I will have one pair of wires going to the fuse area. Also I plan on hooking it up at the factory location that you would use if you installing the BRP 12volt plug as this is a switched source and the wires are already there for it. I will be putting a connector in midway so if I need to take the pod off I can just unplug the assembly with out having to remove and wires.
    Where / which one is the existing factory 12v connector on the fuse box that would be used for the factory 12v receptacle ? If that didn't work , i was going to tie into one of the hot switched wires at the fuse box. Where does the negative or ground wire go ? Thanks.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Where / which one is the existing factory 12v connector on the fuse box that would be used for the factory 12v receptacle ? If that didn't work , i was going to tie into one of the hot switched wires at the fuse box. Where does the negative or ground wire go ? Thanks.
    This should help:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=6991

If you were to wire it direct to the fuse box you can either ground it to the battery direct. Also you could ground it to the frame as well.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok.... it's done - may not be kosher but works. There are 2 unused - no fuse installed - accessory spots on the fuse panel. Since I installed 2 - 12v receptacles, I ran a wire to each fuse ( 5A fuse) - wrapped it around one of the legs of the fuse ( not on the hot side ) and stuck it in. There is a common ground point on the main frame in front of the engine - Attached both grounds there. Bottom line ..... both work great. I'm not sure about the 5A fuse but we'll see ! Thanks for info everybody !

Spyder Garage

Whatever works for you. Sometimes just wrapping a wire around something does not make a good enough electrical or mechanical connection. That could cause intermittent power while riding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Whatever works for you. Sometimes just wrapping a wire around something does not make a good enough electrical or mechanical connection. That could cause intermittent power while riding.
    ...or sparks, overheating, and a fire!
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Yeah, especially with the gas fumes that seem to come and go without warning.