Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I sell them so you have to take that into account. But my feeling is the ST needs a sway bar more than any other Spyder model made. That is because the weight/leverage to sway bar spring rate for the ST appears to be the lowest of all.

The 'S' in ST is supposed to stand for 'Sport'. But the ST I rode leaned a great deal and the Nanny was a constant nuisance in the twisties. But then I tried to ride it like my 2008 GS with Sway Bar installed.

Hopefully, some ST owners will jump in and give us their thoughts.
    BajaRon, I'm sure you sell an amazing product, and I'm sure it's priced reasonably well. However I have a hard time thinking I would need this. I ride fairly conservative speed wise, but love to hammer the twisties. I lean my body over the inside and can easily hammer out speeds where I feel would be my limit for speed.

Does this make that big of a difference? You claim the ST needs it the most, but when I test rode an RT it seemed completely unsporty. Does it make you need to lean less, muscle it less?

It sounds like car ramps are insufficient to do the mod? That's unfortunate, I'm not sure what could be used other than a full lift. Do you do the install for these at Spyder Gatherings? I'm not far from Spyder Quest (1 hour), I wasn't planning on going, but I could stop in if you're going to be there.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar for new ST

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Everything you need (except the jack and tools) comes in the sway bar kit. Email me at fyredad@hotmail.com and I'll sent you a PDF copy of the install instructions for the 2013/14 ST.
    I just ordered the kit. Now need installation instruction to give to my general purpose mechanic. He has lift or ramp equipment if needed. Thanks.
    Neil K

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bryk View Post
    BajaRon, I'm sure you sell an amazing product, and I'm sure it's priced reasonably well. However I have a hard time thinking I would need this. I ride fairly conservative speed wise, but love to hammer the twisties. I lean my body over the inside and can easily hammer out speeds where I feel would be my limit for speed.

Does this make that big of a difference? You claim the ST needs it the most, but when I test rode an RT it seemed completely unsporty. Does it make you need to lean less, muscle it less?

It sounds like car ramps are insufficient to do the mod? That's unfortunate, I'm not sure what could be used other than a full lift. Do you do the install for these at Spyder Gatherings? I'm not far from Spyder Quest (1 hour), I wasn't planning on going, but I could stop in if you're going to be there.
    Everything is relative. Most people don't purchase an RT with hammering the twisties as their main intention. The RT does benefit greatly from the sway bar install as it does add quite a bit of steering and lean control plus takes care of issues encountered with cross winds and buffeting when passing large trucks on the freeway.

With the ST, I think more riders are looking for the sport aspect with some storage for longer trips. The sway bar adds a great deal of stability in turns.

I've had a number of customers tell me that they didn't think they needed the sway bar, that they were completely satisfied with the way their Spyder handled in the stock configuration. But because their buddies kept hounding them to get one they decided to do it against their better judgement. Then I typically get an email or phone call from them saying they were amazed at the improvement the bar made. That they were only happy with the original setup because they didn't know what they were missing.

The bar isn't just for hard riders or twisty killers. It works for you from the time you pull out of your driveway until you get back home.

I've even had a few owners say that after they got used to riding my bar that they wondered if it was really working anymore... Until they rode a friend's Spyder that didn't have a bar and then they were impressed all over again.

My sway bars are not a silver bullet, nor are they magic. But they do make a big difference.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-19-2014 at 08:48 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If one uses the ramp style lifts, once you get it up on them, is there an obvious place to to put a adjustable jack to get it up the rest of the way to do the job. Are there any pictures or illustrations of the bottom side of a ST to understand what we're up against?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dvandal View Post
    I used car ramps to raise and install the swaybar when I did mine on a RT-S 2011 ... this has given me enough clearance to do the job easily. Total installation time was ~45 minutes.

This is the way I went, took me a bit longer, but had to take the spyder pops bimpskid off and wax underneath etc, but that is just me being a a stickler!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dvandal View Post
    I used car ramps to raise and install the swaybar when I did mine on a RT-S 2011 ... this has given me enough clearance to do the job easily. Total installation time was ~45 minutes.

This is good to read, what is the ramp height on yours? They look like they're less than the 20" or so, that was suggested but a lot safer and convienent. Where did you find them?
    Revised; didn't pick up on the fact of it being a RT, ST has more height requirements to remove
    Last edited by golfsferr; 08-02-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by golfsferr View Post
    This is good to read, what is the ramp height on yours? They look like they're less than the 20" or so, that was suggested but a lot safer and convienent. Where did you find them?
    Revised; didn't pick up on the fact of it being a RT, ST has more height requirements to remove
    It doesn't have anything to do with RT/ST/RS/RSS, etc. It's all about model year. Everything 2008-2012 needs just enough room to get under the Spyder to do the job. If you take the Frunk off, you don't have to lift the Spyder at all.

Everything 2013/14 must have about 20"-22" clearance from the FRAME to the GROUND. That doesn't mean 20"-22" of lift as the frame is 5" or so off the ground to start with. So 18" of lift is usually plenty.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here are a few images in my ST up high enough to remove OEM sway bar and add new.

The first is a Craftsman lift with 4 4x6's and another similar lift under the middle just in case something slipped. The second image is the new (painted) BajaRon bar and white spacers. (I painted the corners red because you can see them but they did get scratched up a bit)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407124066.939827.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407124078.861312.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Weissenbrunn, OberFranken, Bayern, Germany
    Spyder Garage

Default Sway bars on an ST LTD

Quote Originally Posted by pwpalmbay View Post
    Is it worth the money to install a sway bar on an ST?
    I'd say ABSOLUTELY worth the money. Got Bajarons sway bar which is much thicker than the OEM bar, installed it and the heim joints with a friend along with a pair of Fox shocks. The combination makes the Spyder so much more stable, even on rough surfaces I feel much safer. And around the curves it is just beautiful! Great ride now. Best from Bavaria! Rick