Thread: Just can't win

Spyder Garage

Default Just can't win

For anyone who has followed my long saga of problems with my 2012 RS-S, it apparently continues.

BRP had the dealer replace the throttle body assembly this past week, everyone assumed BTP identified the issues from my video I took...
    But my once in 1000 mile issue happened twice so far today.... (its a really hot and humid day)

Uggg... I can't even count the number of times this thing has been in the shop... it was in for half of the riding season last year...and the entire winter...
    Its had a new ignition system, wires, plugs, coils.
    Now a new throttle body including TPS and MAP sensors.

As usual, when it happens, I turn the spyder on ... it starts in 1st gear instead of N, and won't shift into N.
    Pulling the throttle causes it to stutter forward, and eventually stall.
    If i turn the spyder off and back on, it still does it.
    If i turn the spyder off and wait 1-2 minutes and start it back up, it generally works fine again.

Oh, and for "unrelated" problems, I've had two GPS sensor failures as well over the life of the spyder....

I swear, this thing needs to find its way into a scrap heap....

There can't be much else left to replace right?
    Wiring harness? Ambient Air Temp? Wheel Speed sensors? Yaw sensor? Computer?

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

sorry to hear...don't know the whole history and from what they changed I don't seeing them address they gear positioning sensor. Seems that there is a shifting problem and on the se's it gets messy what it can do...do hope they find the problem but the damage is done when they do get you going I hope you can trust her once again...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Sad to hear

+1 I am sorry to read about your ongoing situation with Thee bad attitude Spyder!!
    Hoping you get it sorted out soon and back to ryding.
    Only good luck in the future and happier times for you both.

Chas

Spyder Garage

Feel your pain. I have had numerous problems with my 2013 RT Ltd SE5, days on end at the dealer - Who is by the way a great dealer/service facility - and it is very difficult to get BRP to acknowledge any sort of problem whatsoever. Hang in, write letters, send Emails, let them know how very unhappy you are. Strange things can happen with BRP. You never know....
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that you've got this going on...
    My gut tells me that this is in the computer system...
    The throttle bodies wouldn't affect shifting, without some help from another issue...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Is this a sm5 or se5?

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Monday or Friday

Kinda reminds me of something my dad told me, He said NEVER buy a Monday car or a Friday car
    because everyone at work on the line is trying to get over the weekend fun and such and the Friday
    people are in a big rush to get the hell out of there and go play. My dad knew what he was talking about
    because when I was a young guy he was the president of the SAE and was in the factories a lot.
    My guess is you have a Monday or Friday unit I would cut your losses and get rid of it and start
    over with a new one... Good luck on it sorry you are stuck with all the problems
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    For anyone who has followed my long saga of problems with my 2012 RS-S, it apparently continues.

BRP had the dealer replace the throttle body assembly this past week, everyone assumed BTP identified the issues from my video I took...
    But my once in 1000 mile issue happened twice so far today.... (its a really hot and humid day)

Uggg... I can't even count the number of times this thing has been in the shop... it was in for half of the riding season last year...and the entire winter...
    Its had a new ignition system, wires, plugs, coils.
    Now a new throttle body including TPS and MAP sensors.

As usual, when it happens, I turn the spyder on ... it starts in 1st gear instead of N, and won't shift into N.
    Pulling the throttle causes it to stutter forward, and eventually stall.
    If i turn the spyder off and back on, it still does it.
    If i turn the spyder off and wait 1-2 minutes and start it back up, it generally works fine again.

Oh, and for "unrelated" problems, I've had two GPS sensor failures as well over the life of the spyder....

I swear, this thing needs to find its way into a scrap heap....

There can't be much else left to replace right?
    Wiring harness? Ambient Air Temp? Wheel Speed sensors? Yaw sensor? Computer?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Kinda reminds me of something my dad told me, He said NEVER buy a Monday car or a Friday car
    because everyone at work on the line is trying to get over the weekend fun and such and the Friday
    people are in a big rush to get the hell out of there and go play. My dad knew what he was talking about
    because when I was a young guy he was the president of the SAE and was in the factories a lot.
    My guess is you have a Monday or Friday unit I would cut your losses and get rid of it and start
    over with a new one... Good luck on it sorry you are stuck with all the problems
    Dave
    True... but I feel bad for everyone who gets the unit after me.... if BRP was buying it back, that would be a different story.
    Luckily, I've learned that if I turn it off and turn it back on 60 seconds later the issue almost always goes away. (Any time sooner and it still exists)

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Sorry to hear that you've got this going on...
    My gut tells me that this is in the computer system...
    The throttle bodies wouldn't affect shifting, without some help from another issue...
    Well, its not just shifting.
    I start up the spyder and it says "1st" gear instead of "N".
    Pulling on the throttle, the RPMs cut off between 1000RPM and 1500RPM, you can't get it higher than that.
    Last year, I could pull it all the way to max RPMs and it still would be at idle and wouldn't move forward...
    This year, everytime it happens it jerks forward slowly, but if I open up the throttle it just kills the engine.

It could be refusing to shift due to RPMs not being high enough... or it could be a transmission problem.

It seems to happen when wet or dry, hot or cool, I can't find a pattern...

Throttle issues video

Shifting issues video

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

that just sux's

don't know what to say

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default btw

from you video can't tell what you are doing.. tonight and as always to get reverse to work I have to hold the paddle on the backside rather than the forward side.. ... I hold it in and hit reverse.. cLuNk... works.....if I just push reverse without doing this above.. doesn't work.. have you tried this?

now the belching.. no idea
    Last edited by jScotD; 07-22-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jScotD View Post
    from you video can't tell what you are doing.. tonight and as always to get reverse to work I have to hold the paddle on the backside rather than the forward side.. ... I hold it in and hit reverse.. cLuNk... works.....if I just push reverse without doing this above.. doesn't work.. have you tried this?

now the belching.. no idea
    Not sure if I'm supposed to laugh... after 2 1/2 years and 15,000 miles and daily using reverse at least twice a day, I do know how to change gears on my spyder. It also finally did it to the dealer this last time I brought it in for the first time ever.

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With 2 GPS failures already on record; that's where I'd be looking.
    As you know; the bike will start in gear with your "Paw on the pedal", and then SHOULD bang right into neutral...
    Something is missing in the process? Could the Computer just be having a really bad time of it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    With 2 GPS failures already on record; that's where I'd be looking.
    As you know; the bike will start in gear with your "Paw on the pedal", and then SHOULD bang right into neutral...
    Something is missing in the process? Could the Computer just be having a really bad time of it?
    Thats the problem right, because both times I had the GPS failure, the computer saw it and threw it into a fault mode with R and N flashing and logged it.

Whatever this fault mode is, the spyder doesn't seem to realize it is in one, and it doesn't log it.

Is it the computer? Is it the GPS since the computer appears to recognize a failure of it normally?
    Was it the throttle? Probably not since they just replaced the whole TB, however its a chicken and an egg problem right? Because you can't shift unless the engine hits a high enough RPM, but maybe the computer isn't letting the fuel injectors respond to the TPS position because of some other problem it is seeing, either in the gear box or somewhere else.

If the computer doesn't recognize the problem, and the whole system has inter-dependencies, how do you isolate the part that is failing?

(Can you tell I'm an engineer by trade? LOL)

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder: