Spyder Garage

Default This is kind of depressing

I use the B trip meter for mileage since the last oil change.
    I had not looked at this screen for a while but did yesterday after a fill up and resetting trip A meter.

Kind of depressing to know I only got an average of 26 MPH over 3,000 miles

I guess that's what you get when you use your Spyder to commute to work on LA freeways.

Hopefully a long road trip later this year will correct that

Bob

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by finless; 07-15-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Fourth of July weekend the wife and I rode out to NJ for a graduation party. Interstate highways & multi lane parkway all the way. Never got below 60 mph, mostly 65-70 mph. I checked the B trip meter & was surprised that I averaged 45 mph for the round trip. I'not sure how accurate the "average" is, but if it is anything like the thermometer, it is way off.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Isn't that "Average Speed" that is shown there? I don't think it shows average MPH on the trip meter . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now you've got me wondering.
    I had NEVER noticed that average mph reading...
    Time to see what the numbers are like!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Isn't that "Average Speed" that is shown there? I don't think it shows average MPH on the trip meter . . .
    Average speed is MPH not MPG. It says 26 MPH on the dash.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Average speed is MPH not MPG. It says 26 MPH on the dash.

Bob
    Total brain fart on my part . . . as for the average speed, it is also calculating when you are stopped . . . not just when you are moving. From the time you turn on the key until you turn it off . . .

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Spyder Garage

The numbers for the average MPH work until you clear the register and start over again. Here they do not mean a lot because it is going to cover everything that happened from zero to reset on the register.

I have a similar in my car and it shows mpg from day one as well as mpg each tankfull to reset of the tripmeter.

Interesting, but not a necessary thing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Finless, I can feel your pain. Oh man that is depressing. I don't know if I could handle that. On my 2008s I had an average of just a whisker under 60 MPH for over 66,000 miles. That would be riding zero 4-lane roads, but out here in west central Minnesota we have wide open roads and little traffic so it is all high speed cruising. It is not uncommon to do 400+ miles in under 7 hours with an average of over 60 mph. Today was 243 miles in 4:06 for an average of 59 mph.

On the newer Spyders I do not believe you can display the total hours like we could on the older bikes unless you go into BUDS and read it, that kind of sucks.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

Total brain fart on my part . . . as for the average speed, it is also calculating when you are stopped . . . not just when you are moving. From the time you turn on the key until you turn it off . . .
    Exactly...a couple stoplights can kill the average. I really proud when I did a 375 mile trip once and averaged just over 60mph including gas and bathroom stops. Not easy to do. :-)

Spyder Garage

I look at mine every time I fill up and it doesn't seem to ever read correct , stopped paying attention to it

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I need to know how fast I've been going; the Missus is more than happy to... ...tell me!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If I need to know how fast I've been going; the Missus is more than happy to... ...tell me!

, my wife doe's the same thing

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And we're lucky to have them along for the ride!

Spyder Garage

Yes I know it counts while stopped. It's obvious it's using time/MPH. I did check and it also counts time even when the engine is not running but the key is on. That's kind of dumb. It should only count when the engine is running. But I wonder if the math it is doing is 100% of the time on the clock vs running time? I am going to see if I can figure that out with the A meter.

But that's also my point. 90% of my riding is in rush hour traffic even on the freeway and there are sections we come to a stop or crawl at like 15 MPH and other times I am doing almost 80! That's LA freeways for you!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

All you've gotta do is discipline yourself to press that reset button every time you stop, and don't turn the key on again until you are ready to immediately start again !!

It's all the stopping and starting in traffic & at lights etc, the sitting around with the key/engine on while you do stuff at the servo or shops, and the innumerable other things that mean you end up not moving while the ignition/engine is on that drags that average speed down; & to be honest, that probably impacts (badly) on your fuel economy too!! So either turn the key off every time you stop moving, or just reset the trip meter every time you stop moving....

Nice long trips with only short stops for fuel & comfort are good for improving that average speed too, especially if you practice turning the key off as soon as you pull up & then only turn the key/start the engine again immediately before you hit the road once more. I use the B Trip meter to record trip distance & averages between fuel fill-ups that way, keeping the A meter for 'Total Trip' info; and I have managed (once!) to see an average speed reading on the B meter of somewhat over 100... (kph admittedly, but I'm not going to tell anyone - especially my wife, exactly how much over 100 kph it was or what it equated to in mph!! Suffice to say it was enough over that it might get me in trouble... ) However, it was only the distance taken to travel between two fuel stops (pretty much the distance I could travel to empty a full tank at that speed... ) on one of our long open roads here in Aust, and it was (almost anyway, if you squint & look sidways... ) within the 'legal limits' imposed on that section of road in the Northern Territory here (they are 'pretty reasonable' considering the distances involved & the remote area, roads, & conditions etc, altho not quite Auto Bahn limits!) The average on the other meter showing the entire Trip Totals wasn't anywhere near as impressive/brag worthy...

Spyder Garage

Does she tell you and whack you on the back of the helmet

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightening View Post
    Your Zumo will give you moving avg and overall avg. For instance on my recent trip to Durango for the OE this is what the Zumo reported:
    Moving time 51.41 hours
    moving avg. 55 mph
    overall avg. 53 mph
    high speed 82 mph (only while passing)

by the way avg mpg for the trip was 39.79
    Even Garmin gets it wrong . . . I recently went to that page on my Garmin in my 4 cylinder Camry . . . and it showed the high speed was 142 MPH!

Spyder Garage

Hey over the last 13000+ miles iv got anything from 14 ( yes 14 loaded heading home from SF ) to 28 over all. 22-23 is average I didn't get it for the mileage! I got it to ride with a SMILE
    2012 RT Limited. Flag graphics, Lower vader wings LEDs, Lower day runner LEDs, Uper turn signal LEDs, Tip LEDs, Finder strip LEDs, Mud flap running an turn LEDs, Inside morrirs turn LEDs, 3-4 brake LEDs, Blue LEDs top under dash, Cup hollders, Large foot rest, HWY foot rest, K&N air flter, GloRyders with remote, Elka shocks 1+R, Soomthspyder, GoPro Hero3, BRP hitch, Diamond shadow trailer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I use the B trip meter for mileage since the last oil change.
    I had not looked at this screen for a while but did yesterday after a fill up and resetting trip A meter.

Kind of depressing to know I only got an average of 26 MPH over 3,000 miles

I guess that's what you get when you use your Spyder to commute to work on LA freeways.

Hopefully a long road trip later this year will correct that
    So YOU are the cause of all this slow So. Cal. traffic!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default Missus

" And I thought my wife was the only one that did that....LOL"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You too?