Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Corbin seat question

I'm expecting to receive a Corbin seat and backrest this week (according to their e-mail) and I want to ask those of you that have them how you like them so far? Is there a big difference in comfort? Is there a break in? Do your passengers like the backrest? Any install problems?
    Any help would be appriciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2+1 View Post
    I'm expecting to receive a Corbin seat and backrest this week (according to their e-mail) and I want to ask those of you that have them how you like them so far? Is there a big difference in comfort? Is there a break in? Do your passengers like the backrest? Any install problems?
    Any help would be appriciated.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...4&postcount=38

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

To add on to AtaDude's comments.

Agree that the instructions left a bit to be desired (especially for $1,100). Copies of copies, so bad that it was hard to tell which end of the front seat riser connected to the seat. I'm not a mechanic and with finding tools, reading and re-reading instructions, cursing the on/off rain and drinking two Gatorades, it took me about two hours to install both seats and both back rests.

Neither the front nor the rear seats lined up without a lot of wriggling. I really had to put my knee into the rear to get it to seat into the latch pin. Once I'd done it once or twice, it got better. I also read the instructions on the Corbin web site to spray the rubber parts that support the seat with WD-40. The front seat latch pin was not long enough no matter how hard I pushed. I wound up extending it a bit by unscrewing the main pin and locking the lock into the seat base. The Corbin web site suggests a couple of washers to do that. I'm hoping that with use the seat base will settle down and I can return that pin to its normal setting. The first time I tried to get the front seat to come up, I really had to push down hard over the pin lest I jam the key in the ignition. Now that it has been on for a while, a twist of the key lets the seat pop up with the aid of the shock.

The little set screw that holds down the back rests is a bit odd in that I put as much torque on them as I could but the back rests will still do a windshield wiper movement back and forth about an 1/8" or so. I'm not worried that they will come out, I just expected them to not move side to side like that.

Now with respect to looks and comfort, so far I'm very impressed. I got the dual seat backs and my wife and I love them. We paid extra for the back of the rests to match the yellow of the Spyder and it really completes the look. Combined with the NMN 4" risers and the KewlMetal mirror extenders and I'm very happy with the riding position. I really like how the passenger is so firmly seated in you don't have to worry about a sudden accelleration knocking her off. I haven't taken a long ride on it since putting the new seat on but already have noticed a big improvement in comfort. I really like how your behind is cradled by the form fitting leather rather than sitting on the stock seat.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Corbin seats and back rests. They really look and feel great.
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Corbin seat & Backrest

I agree!! Huge difference. The corbin backrest supports my back on turns & quick accelerations. No more backaches.

Spyder Garage

I talked with a guy who got his Corbin seat installed at the Corbin trailer here in Gatlinburg and he said the Corbin techs do the seat install in 10 minutes. Either they have improved the seat for installation or its really not that hard once you get the hang of it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I talked with a guy who got his Corbin seat installed at the Corbin trailer here in Gatlinburg and he said the Corbin techs do the seat install in 10 minutes. Either they have improved the seat for installation or its really not that hard once you get the hang of it.
    I would hope they've improved the mount tolerances after the flack received earlier.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I just got back from having a seat built at the Corbin factory. If you can, ride in and they will fit the seat to your size, you pick the leather and the stitching and they mount them all for the same price as on line.

Watching them install the seat was interesting, as was watching them take off the BRP seat. I don't think either one is an easy job. The Corbin is thicker and with new padding compressing it does seem to be required to install as well as potentially adjusting the latching pin. All of the seats are hand built and hand stitched so there is likely some variation.

The one point I can make is that when you install the front seat latch the seat first, then put in the bolts. If you do it the other way around alignment will be a nightmare. I would also reccomend letting them know if you have the sport rack on your bike as they will adjust the passenger seat so it fits more easily.

I can also say that dealing with them on line was a challenge but on site they were great and the ride home was a lot more comfortable than the ride there. The seat is great.
    Hang on!