Spyder Garage

Default HELLO Spyderlovers!!!!!

New guy here.

I hope y'all don't mind, but I ride a Honda VTX1800C. It is an incredible motorcycle, but I have been 'thinking about' a Can-Am Spyder. A friend has a ~2011-2012 Spyder (don't know what year or model) and he has offered to let me and the wife ride it to check it out. I will do that soon.

But, after reading a lot of your posts, I find several things rather disturbing. First, a NEW Spyder needs a LASER alignment??? And, it appears the dealers can not perform that alignment properly?? WOW!!

Second, there appears to be a lot (based upon the small sample I have read on this board) of minor complaints. Refusing to start, etc. (sorry, I don't recall all of the issues). I have always had Japanese motorcycles and they have been bullet-proof. My VTX has over 35,000 miles on the odometer, 99% two-up, and has been dead-nuts reliable. One heck of a piece of machinery.

So, I am interested, especially in the 2014 1330cc engine. I have seriously considered a Gold Wing, but I just don't find them comfortable, unlike the VTX.

Am I overreacting or is the Can-Am Spyder still a 'development item?'

Regards,
    Joe T.

My bike:

100_0165 - BIKE Pic.jpg
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Default Please don't..!!

use this site as a reference for purchase. What you read here is the few that have problems, some self inflicted, some defects, but the vast majority are out there doing fine. I'm going on 21,000 without a hicup and many ryding with me as well. Most sites like these are for help with problems though this one can wander into comical, medical, cooking etc. The alignment is new and sells well but not all spyders are out of alignment. It's a choice. The 2014 are proving to be a very nice machine. Ryde them and see for yourself. Welcome and hope to see you on the road on one soon..you have no idea what your missing...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WE ALL

DON'T MIND A DERN BIT .........But I think you'all should stick to your VTX ........A lover .....Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

And you are welcome with or without a Spyder. All machines build by man are prone to have issues (look at the Goldwing forums). Chupaca stated it best - you are going to see the issues from a few as the majority have no problems so do not need to post.
    I have 8300 miles on my 2014 without one issue. I did choose to have the laser alignment done, but many have not and are happy with their ride.
    Please try your friends Spyder and decide for yourself how you like it, but remember to use a light grip on it as it will respond to your input far more then on your VTX.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Yep I'll back up what others have said. I've found my 2011 RS to be trouble free and reliable, in fact better than the Suzuki I owned before, I've also had less reliable Hondas.

As with any forum you tend to hear of the problems because its often first port of call. You also get the odd person who makes a lot of noise at times.

Recently laser alignment seems to be the big thing but only because it was the in-subject. I did have my alignment done as I noticed slightly uneven wear on the front wheels - turned out that it wasn't far out but it did feel different afterwards. I think it's important to note that they guy who did it got me to sit on the Spyder in a riding position while he did it. Both of these things suggest it's pretty sensitive.

A Spyder is like nothing else and it takes a lot of getting used to after a motorbike. But speaking as a lifelong biker I don't think I'd go back to 2 wheels now as I love riding mine so much.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 1800; huh? GREAT bike! I've heard it said, that you only need about one gear in them: THIRD! The rest are just ot help get you woke-up in the morning!
    The Spyders are a great ride; but they are so completely different that your prior motorcycle experiences, that it might require a Pardigm shift, to make sense of all of it.
    Are there a few places for improvement? Hell yeah!
    But isn't that true for everything, and everybody?
    Ask anything that you want in here...
    You'll get opinion, fact, experience, complaints, and solutions!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the other responders have covered the issues well. So I'll just say
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default JOE T

HELLO JOE......
    40,000+ miles with NO issues....
    as stated above, the 5% that have issues, are the same 95% that post here.... the rest of us are out riding...
    i've made several multi-thousand miles trips, and the only negative i can tell you about, is my right mirror got a little loose...
    you need to pay a visit to your local CAN AM dealer and take one for a ride... now 2 or 3 miles, but 15 or 20... tell them that up front...
    whatever your final decision is - please ride carefully and enjoy...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

SAM_0627.jpg SAM_0676.jpg SAM_0678.jpg

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 07-14-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

I went from the VTX 1800 R to a Goldwing to a Spyder RT limited (2012)

There is a big difference between the sit in cruiser style of the VTX to the sit on style of the Goldwing. The VTX is more of a relaxed style riding hence the cruiser styling, your feet are forward and you sit low. The Goldwing is more an upright, sit up and beg type ride, due to the flat 6 your feet are under you rather than forward. The wing feels a lot lighter due to its low center of gravity.

The spyder although totally different to either is more a kin to the wing than the VTX. You sit somewhere between in and on, it's more a relaxed ride than the wing but not has relaxed has the VTX. The VTX was not a great long distance machine, it's heavy and with 1800 cc pounding you it was a tiring ride. The most I did on my VTX was around 400 miles in a day and you where done, the spyder I've done 800 plus in a day with no issues.

There is a huge difference, if your friend has the same model you're looking at and he doesn't mind you borrowing it for the day then that's your best bet. Otherwise I would look at renting one for the day, it's going to take 400-600 miles just to get used to it before you can say if you like it or not.

you don't have to worry about the weight, balance, bad roads or weather. Great two up machine and the RT is great for touring.

tough decision, in a perfect world I would still have my VTX R for simple day trips and goofing around and my RT for two up and long weekend touring.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you and your wife are able to borrow your friend's Spyder for all day and burn a tank of gas or two that would be great. Make certain you drive both primary(interstate) and secondary roads. Initially take it slow on the turns for both you and your wife's comfort. While it's true trikes don't lean to turn it is helpful for you and perhaps your wife to lean into a turn so you don't feel the bike is trying to throw you off. While it seems most people are happy with their pre '14 Spyders I recommend you look at the '14. The changes are "so" very worth it, at least to me.
    2014 Black RT SE

Spyder Garage

It is true that you will see a lot of posts from folks with one problem or another. I've been one of them. Even so, the missus & I wouldn't even think about riding anything else. We are fortunate, I am retired, & she works from home, which allows us to take 1 or 2 day trips per week, average about 200 miles. We have put about 5K miles on since the came out of winter storage in late April, In 3 weeks going to Delaware for our beach vacation (will be pulling the trailer) & to Lake George NY for SpyderQuest in September. Do yourself a favor & borrow your buddy's , spend a day on it, and you will be convinced. A a plus, your wife will love not having to put a foot down when you stop. That is the number one thing that my wife tells people who ask how she likes it. Welcome & Good Luck with 3 wheels on the road.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

We have a VTX 1800N and two 2013 Can Am Spyders. Love them all and like the VTX sites also point out, there are little things that may need to be addressed as is the case with any man made machine. Our Can Am's, like our VTX, have performed quite reliably.

Good luck with your decision.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!