Spyder Garage

Default Tail of the Dragon - GOOD INFORMATION

DRAGON AWARNESS - A goal of the Blount County Sheriff's Office is to reduce the number of injuries and deaths through education and enforcement.

http://www.dragonawareness.com/?Aspx...ookieSupport=1
    50 YEARS & STILL GOING STRONG....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    DRAGON AWARNESS - A goal of the Blount County Sheriff's Office is to reduce the number of injuries and deaths through education and enforcement.

good post, thanks

Spyder Garage

That is good info
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks..!!

Very nicely done. Most informative and great history of this highway. Good read fir those that hear about it, those that want to go and those that did but didn't know...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Very good information. The statistics bear reading. It appears that law enforcement writes a lot of tickets each month. More than 10 a day.

28 people killed, and lots of accidents.

Nuff said.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great read - would have liked to have seen this earlier this year. I took my MINI down there in April and it was amazing. I ran my MINI as hard as the curves would allow - I certainly wouldnt want to push a lesser handling car through it - but its a bikers dream. Luckily the day I was there was off-season and chilly so it was completely empty. No one got in my way and more importantly I didnt get in anyone elses. I can't wait to head back down on the Spyder and I encourage anyone who hasnt been to go. The tail is great, but the drives around Cherokee, through the park, etc. were completely breathtaking and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge makes a fun vacation spot.

Spyder Garage

Just got back from there an hour ago. We live 90 minutes from the dragon and it was my first ride on the 14 RTL as it is 7 weeks old. What a dream it was to drive! Ready to go back over there next week after the weekenders are gone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post

While there is some good info in the link there is also propaganda. I can't fault the Blount Country Sheriff's Dept too much since they will sometimes give verbal warnings in lieu of citations. The TN Highway Patrol however are a bunch of ticket writin' revenue enhancers of the first order. I was a police officer for quite a few years and I didn't like state troopers then (any state, not just TN) and I like them even less today. The 30 mph limit on the Dragon is ridiculous and is NOT about safety - it is about easy ticket writing. For the most part those who have died on the Dragon or have been injured only did it to themselves. Very seldom if ever has a 2d party been killed (other than a motorcycle passenger). Yes, the Dragon is a dangerous road - that is a great part of the attraction. If you can't deal with that aspect of it then STAY THE HELL OFF THE ROAD! Sorry...I live about 30 minutes away and ride it often and I so tire of the cagers who become upset when a bike comes up on them quickly and then to make matters worse the cager refuses to use any of the PAVED pull offs to allow the bike or faster car to pass by. It is also laughable when the law admonishes everyone to "stay off the centerline." Yeah, right. Just parade along at 20 to 30 mph like good little sheep. If that is what you want there are plenty of other roads much less dangerous that will accommodate you. It is called the Dragon for a reason and people will continue to ride/drive it at a brisk pace and people will continue to have accidents and unfortunately some will die from time to time. Unless the law is going to be there 24/7 at various locations along the route they cannot stop it nor should they. For sure they will continue with their presence - the county and state need the revenue.