Spyder Garage

Default New ST Owner Saying Hello

Hi guys, just wanted to say hello, I have been reading the forum for the last couple months. I am new to motorcycling and the Spyder, I just recently took my MSF course and purchased my Spyder last week. I picked it up yesterday, 2013 ST SM5, Pure Magnesium color, only added the new BRP passenger backrest so far. Got a great deal with the rebates and extra warranties on the 2013, was cheaper than most used ones I saw. Had my first ride yesterday about 70 miles home from the dealer, handles nicely, but my inexperience with the clutch on the manual version is pretty evident, stalled it more times than I care to say. I have a short 5 mile mostly back road commute to work, so hopefully between a few travels back and forth and some parking lot practice, I will be comfortable with the clutch and taking off from a stop without stalling soon. I'm sure I'll have more questions, once I get going, but hopefully no issue. Thanks for all the info in the forums.

Spyder Garage

& welcome to the group.

Spyder Garage

Congrats and welcome!!! You picked a good one. Everyone knows the ST's are the best but most won't admit it
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on your new bike! I bought the same one a couple months ago, even the same color. So far I've added a backrest, fox adjustable shocks, and the bajaron swaybar and helm links. The suspension upgrades have been the most noticeable. Its much more stable than it was stock. I added a phone mount too. Initially I stalled it quite a bit too, as my old bike is a Harley and I wasnt used to throttling up so much before releasing the clutch, Harleys run at much lower RPM's than the Spyder's Rotax. Dont be afraid to give it some gas, these bikes dont lose traction easily. Big rear tire and lots of weight there.
    If you haven't already definitely read this post: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners it has a lot of useful info. I learned some things I didn't know.
    Good luck and have fun!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!! Welcome..!!

to both the roadster world and this site. Congrats on your new ryde the fun has just begun...!! On your clutch management..these machines idle at a higher than normal rpm. Now if you release the clutch slowly you will start rolling and at that point you can start adding the throttle. Practice a bit and you will get the hang of it. I will only ryde the manuals so much more controlover your ryde...enjoy..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congratulations, and welcome aboard!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

and on the new ryde.

RE: Stalling and the manual transmission. and the Rotax 998 like high revs. You should be shifting between 4500 and 5500 rpms. Hopefully that will help a bit.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

and enjoy your new ride. Take time to get used to it. When you are ready to farkle I would definately start with the Baja Ron swaybar and heim links. I put almost 5000 miles on with that set up before I replaced the shocks. I went with Elka shocks front and back but most are happy with the Fox shocks.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Hi everybody, Thanks for the welcome! The short ride home today from work went good, no stalling , kept the RPM's up when shifting hopefully starting to get a better feel for the clutch. Hoping to find some empty parking lot time on Saturday for some more practice with it. I'm hoping after a couple weeks of short drives to/from work and a few longer back road runs, I'll be confident enough on the Spyder to venture in to somewhat more populated areas to run errands etc. The SE versions I have driven were definitely quicker to build up confidence on, but one of my reason for purchasing the SM was to learn and become comfortable with it, in case I every want to jump on 2 wheels for a ride. I think the Iphone mount mod will definitely be on my list, can see it coming in very handy for using the GPS. I'll most likely keep everything original at least the first summer as I learn how everything handles, but I can image that some of the sway bar and shock mods could definitely happen eventually. Not too exciting garage pick below.

Photo Jul 10, 10 06 28 PM.jpg

Spyder Garage

So looks like I may have to give the dealer a call tomorrow, I was just out in the garage and noticed that the left turn signal does not come on if you just press the switch to the left. The right one does, but not the left, seems as though I have to push the turn signal button in and to the left to get it to come on, the right will work by just pressing it to the right. Just did a quick search and looks like some others had that issue and needed the switch replaced under warranty.

Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations!

Nice pick! Turn signals can be touchy, work with them a bit. Enjoy your ride!
    His: 2012 HD Tri Glide Ember Red/Merlot
    Hers: 2012 Can Am Spyder
    RT-S Quantum Blue Metallic

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome! Just keep the RPMs up , 5000 is the sweet spot for the twin. Enjoy!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Enjoy the ryde and by the way sweet choice on model and color :-)
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder76 View Post
    So looks like I may have to give the dealer a call tomorrow, I was just out in the garage and noticed that the left turn signal does not come on if you just press the switch to the left. The right one does, but not the left, seems as though I have to push the turn signal button in and to the left to get it to come on, the right will work by just pressing it to the right. Just did a quick search and looks like some others had that issue and needed the switch replaced under warranty.
    I was having the exact same problem with my left turn signal in the beginning and it kept getting worse, had to keep looking at it and pressing it harder to make it turn on. Then started having problems getting into reverse and in gear with semi automatic, had to have the cluster of controls replaced, there was a short in it. Only took a week for the part to come in and not long to have it taken care of under warranty.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    I was having the exact same problem with my left turn signal in the beginning and it kept getting worse, had to keep looking at it and pressing it harder to make it turn on. Then started having problems getting into reverse and in gear with semi automatic, had to have the cluster of controls replaced, there was a short in it. Only took a week for the part to come in and not long to have it taken care of under warranty.
    Good to know, I think I will just keep an eye on it for now, since I am at least able to activate it now that I know to give it a little push in as well. I'll give things a few more weeks to see if I notice anything else and just bring it up to the dealer when I go in for the 600 mile service. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

So it's been a little over a week now on the Spyder, been driving it pretty much daily at least to/from work. Starting to get a lot more comfortable with the manual transmission. One thing however that happens on occasion is that the Spyder will stall with the clutch pulled in, once while coasting to a stop and a second time while coasting through a turn. Also it has on occasion stalled after I have come to a stop, before I turned it off, it has just shut off with the clutch pulled in. I only have 220 miles, sounds like this may be a normal thing while the engine is breaking in from some of the posts I read. I plan to mention it to the dealer at the 600 mile service, but just was looking for some opinions. Thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME to SPYDERLAND

That is a great looking , you will find the best people here, I would like to say, make your 1st long trip next spring,,SPYDERFEST 6