Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Spyder Garage

Default Tires

I have a 2012 rt-s sm5. It has 7000 miles on it looking at the kumho ecstat ast. It look's like a lot of people are using it. What are pro's and con's. Thanks for your help.

Spyder Garage

Default I need to know too

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    I have a 2012 rt-s sm5. It has 7000 miles on it looking at the kumho ecstat ast. It look's like a lot of people are using it. What are pro's and con's. Thanks for your help.
    I need to replace both front & rear tires. I've seen a lot of people say Bridgestone up front & Kuhmo on the back. My car tire dealer has expressed a lot of concern about speed rating & the safety of car tires being on a Spyder.

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to get this done before I leave on vacation!!
    2016 F3 Limited with Topcase, RT-622 trailer, Lamonster LED Headlights, Lamonster LED Fog lights, Lamonster LED Ring Lights, 25" F4 windshield, BRP Belt Tensioner, 2018 Triton GU10 trailer to haul it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shroth View Post
    I need to replace both front & rear tires. I've seen a lot of people say Bridgestone up front & Kuhmo on the back. My car tire dealer has expressed a lot of concern about speed rating & the safety of car tires being on a Spyder.

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to get this done before I leave on vacation!!
    It amazes me that 'Experts' have so much trepidation about mounting a 'Car Tire' to a car tire wheel replacing a factory car tire with a better car tire. While it is important to use the correct car tire, one that sheds water well and has good all weather traction properties, this is also a good idea for any vehicle.

My feeling is that it's mostly a CYA reaction. A tire shop is 100% safe installing the OEM tire, 'Specifically designed for the Spyder'. But you could say that about every component. While you don't want to go replacing things willy-nilly without regard to the effects. The aftermarket tire application has been well tested with very good results. Believe me, you will not be breaking new ground on this one.

With the thousands of riders using 'Car Tires' on their Spyder, how many negative posts have you seen here? How often do you see negative posts for ANYTHING that goes wrong, or people don't like about their Spyder? You know every little hick-up gets posted here.

I submit to you that if there were any issues with replacing the OEM car tire with a non-OEM car tire, you would be hearing about it right here on Spyderlovers.

My OEM tires were replaced with 'Car Tires' as soon as they wore out and I have been very happy with them. I'm on my 2nd set.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-10-2014 at 08:34 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default TIRES

to both of the above....
    1. only one 'CON'... looks like KUMHO has discontinued manufacturing of the 225/50 r15 size...
    it's still on their listing, but i can't seem to find anyone that carries them anymore: http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/categor...6-DFB6B4B089E7
    2. SPYD3Rs are perfectly safe with car tires... reason being, our rides are more like a car than a motorcycle; no leaning... i have over 30,000 miles on the KUMHO'S (2 so far on the rear), and i have only witnessed a marked increase in performance, mileage, etc etc etc....

Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 07-10-2014 at 08:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhh..!! Tires

there are no end to the car tire threads and posts. You can search them and read for hours. In the end its your choice. Considering there are only two tires made with the spyder in mind your car tire choices are many. Those going to a car tire have had no problem to speak of and the follow the leader found the kuhmo which has since dropped this size (wonder why). What brand do you have on your car..?? Why not those..?? Someone posted some Yokahamas that looked really nice...
    Last edited by Chupaca; 07-13-2014 at 01:28 AM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    to both of the above....
    1. only one 'CON'... looks like KUMHO has discontinued manufacturing of the 225/50 r15 size...
    it's still on their listing, but i can't seem to find anyone that carries them anymore: http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/categor...6-DFB6B4B089E7
    2. SPYD3Rs are perfectly safe with car tires... reason being, our rides are more like a car than a motorcycle; no leaning... i have over 30,000 miles on the KUMHO'S (2 so far on the rear), and i have only witnessed a marked increase in performance, mileage, etc etc etc....

Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    In the Northwest Discount Tires still carry Kumho's and I have not heard of the line being dropped?
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks......

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It amazes me that 'Experts' have so much trepidation about mounting a 'Car Tire' to a car tire wheel replacing a factory car tire with a better car tire. While it is important to use the correct car tire, one that sheds water well and has good all weather traction properties, this is also a good idea for any vehicle.

My feeling is that it's mostly a CYA reaction. A tire shop is 100% safe installing the OEM tire, 'Specifically designed for the Spyder'. But you could say that about every component. While you don't want to go replacing things willy-nilly without regard to the effects. The aftermarket tire application has been well tested with very good results. Believe me, you will not be breaking new ground on this one.

With the thousands of riders using 'Car Tires' on their Spyder, how many negative posts have you seen here? How often do you see negative posts for ANYTHING that goes wrong, or people don't like about their Spyder? You know every little hick-up gets posted here.

I submit to you that if there were any issues with replacing the OEM car tire with a non-OEM car tire, you would be hearing about it right here on Spyderlovers.

My OEM tires were replaced with 'Car Tires' as soon as they wore out and I have been very happy with them. I'm on my 2nd set.
    Your reply was what I needed. You know your stuff!! Ordering car tires today.......
    2016 F3 Limited with Topcase, RT-622 trailer, Lamonster LED Headlights, Lamonster LED Fog lights, Lamonster LED Ring Lights, 25" F4 windshield, BRP Belt Tensioner, 2018 Triton GU10 trailer to haul it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your Bridgestone/Kumho combination should serve you very well, for MANY more miles than the OEM tires.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

After placing an order last month, Discount tire contacted me by phone that it would be approx 4-6 week wait for the Kumho 225/50/15.....
    Actually, no one carried that size in any brand.... I was informed that factories had reduced production of that size due to low demand...

Using the tire chart from this forum, I ordered the Kumho 205/55/15 which,practically speaking, has the same OD but not quite as wide... So far I've got just under 400 hwy miles on this tire and I'm very pleased with the performance...

Keep 3 Down..!!!

Spyder Garage

The OEM tire I got almost 10K out of. Replaced with Michelin Hydroedge. Rear tire has 10500 miles on it an looks like new. My fronts I put General Altimax on and they have about 5500 miles on them and they still look perfect. The front's are a snug fit with the fenders but you don't have to alter in anyway. I say go car tires all the way. No problems here.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Replaced my rear at the owners event with the Kuhmo (picked it up at a Discount tire store) and I will rate it as -

Pros
    Softer ride
    Better handling (stock tire would squirm under load in turnes (2 ply) that 4 ply Kumho doesn't do that
    Longer life (milage) assuming from other posts I have read.

Cons
    Not all dealers will mount it.

I have put on 3000 miles on it so far and consider it the best money I have spent on the Spyder so far.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    In the Northwest Discount Tires still carry Kumho's and I have not heard of the line being dropped?
    read my post again.....
    it's not the line of KUMHO's, but the specific size that i was talking about.... 225/50R15....

Spyder Garage

read my post again.....
    it's not the line of KUMHO's, but the specific size that i was talking about.... 225/50R15....
    225/50R15 is the size I purchased from Discount Tire.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lots of tires available in 215/60/15
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default LOVE ME SOME KUMHO

I have had the Kuhmo on the rear for around 2000 miles now and am loving it better dry traction, better ride quality, and great wet road traction, I could easily spin the factory tire dry or wet, not so the Kuhmo, even at interstate speed in pouring down rain I had no problems at all.No cons so far, and I had it shipped to my door, mounted locally, including the balancing beads or what ever it is called, for $95 total price. hope that helps in your decision
    Ram mount on both upper air deflectors custom ram mount for ATC9k action cam
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    Dual Color MagicFLEX® Channelz finder lights
    TIPZ units
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR UPPER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR LOWER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CATALYTIC CONVERTER SHIELD
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

to both of the above....

Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    I ordered the 225 50R 15 Kuhmo esta AST about 2 weeks ago from www.discounttiredirect.com. Got an e-mail that there was going to be a 3-4 day delay. Received it with only a 2 day delay. Having it installed in the morning (7/11).
    Will post updates...I really like the tread design!!
    Last edited by stallion143; 07-10-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default GLAD

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    225/50R15 is the size I purchased from Discount Tire.

GLAD YOU FOUND ONE..... I CAN'T....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Well said
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

GLAD YOU FOUND ONE..... I CAN'T....
    I did have to do some searching. I only found one dealer that had any and they only had two. They were sorta on my way to Durango so made the side trip and purchased one and had it mounted at the Fun Center in Durango.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Ordered Kumho 225-50R/15 4 ply rated this afternoon from Discount Tires. Manager of Discount Tire store in Spokane is the son of a friend of mine. Will take 2 to 4 days to get here. Retail at $115.00. Stay tuned for further updates.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Michelin Defender

I just replace my OEM Kenda at 18.8K miles with the Defender. After looking at the Kumho Ecsta and comparing it, I went with the Michelin. It has a UTOG rating of 820 vs 600 on Kenda. It gets Outstanding and excellent marks on everything except Snow and Ice. I don't do a lot of that so that didn't concern me.
    Look at the Survey averages on Tire Rack.com and you'll see what i mean.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

I just ordered this tire from Directbuytire.com:

225/50R15 91V PROXES T1R TOYO

Looks like a great tire

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    I just ordered this tire from Directbuytire.com:

225/50R15 91V PROXES T1R TOYO

Looks like a great tire
    Directbuy shows your T1R and also the Proxes 4 available. The Toyo website no longer shows either tire comes in that size. So I conclude they no longer make either one in the OEM size for the Spyder. Others have posted the "4's" are no longer made but now it appears the T1R's are also not produced.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I just replace my OEM Kenda at 18.8K miles with the Defender. After looking at the Kumho Ecsta and comparing it, I went with the Michelin. It has a UTOG rating of 820 vs 600 on Kenda. It gets Outstanding and excellent marks on everything except Snow and Ice. I don't do a lot of that so that didn't concern me.
    Look at the Survey averages on Tire Rack.com and you'll see what i mean.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
    The only thing that would concern me is the hardness of the rubber, the UTQG 820 rating. I know that the number is the treadwear rating, but much of that grading is due to the hardness of the rubber compounds. The Spyder does not weigh as much as a car, so that high of a rating might compromise the handling somewhat because the rubber is too hard. I don't have any hard and fast numbers, but I would think a rating of around 600 would be the maximum of my comfort level.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    The only thing that would concern me is the hardness of the rubber, the UTQG 820 rating. I know that the number is the treadwear rating, but much of that grading is due to the hardness of the rubber compounds. The Spyder does not weigh as much as a car, so that high of a rating might compromise the handling somewhat because the rubber is too hard. I don't have any hard and fast numbers, but I would think a rating of around 600 would be the maximum of my comfort level.
    I suppose that may be the case. I had the Michelin Hydroedge on my GS and when I sold it the tire had 13000 miles on it and no discernible wear. It didnt seem to affect the handling on the GS so I am willing to take a chance. Besides it's a rear tire and I'm more concerned with hydroplaning than handling on an RT. It's not much of a handler anyway.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.