Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going Solar

Spyder Garage

Not sure about your storms but if I had it I would be investing in some deep cycle batteries just in case. We have plenty of outages here near the coast.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjockey View Post
    I'm getting a little tired of all the negative comments from you and a couple of others on here.......you make it sound like I'm a sucker and don't have a clue about what's really happening. Some of the comments you guys are making shows me you only have bits and pieces of incomplete information, but you talk like you are experts and know all there is to know about solar energy. I guess you think I'm a complete a$$ or just plain stupid and did no research at all on the subject. Well I am looking forward to the best, even though I can tell some of you are hoping for the worst. Typical human nature, I guess!!
    Woah Just trying to add some info and help out I see you do not appreciate it. I told you I teach this stuff but I guess that doesn't matter. As I said it sounds good and good luck personally with all the rebates and tax credits if I were going that route I would invest $20k and be done with it. That is just me. I doubt I will live 20 more years but my wife is 11yrs younger will.
    Last edited by Magdave; 07-14-2014 at 05:54 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjockey View Post
    I'm getting a little tired of all the negative comments from you and a couple of others on here.......you make it sound like I'm a sucker and don't have a clue about what's really happening. Some of the comments you guys are making shows me you only have bits and pieces of incomplete information, but you talk like you are experts and know all there is to know about solar energy. I guess you think I'm a complete a$$ or just plain stupid and did no research at all on the subject. Well I am looking forward to the best, even though I can tell some of you are hoping for the worst. Typical human nature, I guess!!

I am sorry if you took my comments that way. Was not intended. You posted in an open discussion forum and I thought you were inviting open discussion on the subject, a nice diversion from Spyder heat problems and tires I might add.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I am sorry if you took my comments that way. Was not intended. You posted in an open discussion forum and I thought you were inviting open discussion on the subject, a nice diversion from Spyder heat problems and tires I might add.

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Some of these comments took me back 6 years ago when I bought my Spyder. I was told "those things are just a toy and will never last very long and are only designed and meant for riding short rides around town" Sorry if you think I reacted in an out of the norm way, but I did do a lot of research and talking to people that have had solar systems like mine in my area, and have had very very good reports.....and not just Sungevity customers either.

If I was rich and had enough money to invest in batteries I certainly would. Alas I'm not rich and cannot afford these expensive batteries that have to be replaced probably in less than 10 years, with today's technology. I am just tired of paying these really high electric bills and trying to save a few bucks every month. I know that "solar shingles" are an option, and I assume they are very expensive and I know that they are really new technology and can't believe they have nothing but "positives" going for them.

I did what I thought was right for us, just like when I bought my Spyder even though I was looked down on and even laughed at for buying "one of those stupid looking things that will never last and will never live up to what my former bikes were". All I can say is 100,700 miles later I'm still very happy with my choice and rub it in to these "friends" that scoffed at me and said "it will never last"!! We will be married 50 years next year and was told way back then "it will never last"!! I think I'm on some kind of a roll!!
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Woah Just trying to add some info and help out I see you do not appreciate it. I told you I teach this stuff but I guess that doesn't matter. As I said it sounds good and good luck personally with all the rebates and tax credits if I were going that route I would invest $20k and be done with it. That is just me. I doubt I will live 20 more years but my wife is 11yrs younger will.
    To quote a famous or infamous woman......... "What difference does it make now"........ I already have a contract signed, panels are on and I'm 1 day away from being "turned on so to speak" with these solar panels. I couldn't change things now even if I wanted to.....which I don't.
    Power Outlet
    Cortech tank bag
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Syderjockey,

Good luck on your new adventure!! Anyone who is a 'first adopter' gets a lot of grief/negative comments. But, hang in there. Like you said, too late to change now.

As far as I am concerned, if Elon Musk believes this is a good investment (SolarCity), then who am I to argue? He is a lot smarter than me.

Like I said, GOOD LUCK! Please keep us posted as you go through this new adventure.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Last edited by Joe T.; 07-14-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    Syderjockey,

Good luck on your new adventure!! Anyone who is a 'first adopter' gets a lot of grief/negative comments. But, hang in there. Like you said, too late to change now.

As far as I am concerned, if Elon Musk believes this is a good investment (SolarCity), then who am I to argue? He is a lot smarter than me.

Like I said, GOOD LUCK! Please keep us posted as you go through this new adventure.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Thank you, Joe, for your positive comments. I see this was only your second post on Spyderlovers. Welcome to this forum, it is a great place to learn things about the Spyder and usually things are pretty congenial here. I see you have quite a corral of bikes. The Spyder is a completely different kind of ride than a 2 wheeler, but it is an addictive ride and a good way to meet some really nice people. Hope to see you on here a lot more and keep thinking about the Spyder!
    Power Outlet
    Cortech tank bag
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jim, the pictures look great they pretty much blend in with your roof. What are the concerns when it snows? I don't want to hear about you scraping snow off your panels.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice Set Up -- We Did It Too

Wow ... nice set up! It should serve you well for years. We had a 10kW solar array installed in our pasture a couple of years ago that is, like yours, grid tied. However, unlike you, we opted for a purchase contract as we wanted to take advantage of all the tax benefits ourselves. For example:
    • 30% tax credit on schedule A
    • Balance depreciated against our ranch on schedule F

If we had gone with a lease ... the leasing company would have the benefit of the tax write off, instead of us. Plus, neither one of us was entirely comfortable with how they were writing the leases. Just seemed they were treading on the edge of legal because they were also getting grants from the USDA for residential installations in rural areas. Since we had already investigated these, we knew that those grants are only valid if the generated electricity is used EXCLUSIVELY for the farm (so to service a barn and not the house, for example). Anyway, leasing was not for us, and has turned out well because the firm that installed ours actually DID get caught playing a bit "loose" with the tax laws and is now out of business. You can imagine the nightmare for their customers that leased ... their systems are now "owned" by the courts ... it's just a mess. Well ...enough negative diversion ... sorry!

Anyway ... we call this, "our big expensive cow shelter" since it it the ONLY shade in this particular pasture late in the day. Oh, BTW, our electric company (a co-op) simply exchanges electricity with us at retail rate. So, when we produce more than we use it is a credit on our bill. I believe California uses fancy net meters that not only track the electricity produced but also the time of day and adjust the price accordingly. Our "bill" the last three months has been somewhere between -$20 and -$55 (yes, that's negative) ... we will probably go back on the positive side this month.

I like the look of your system, it fits nicely on your house .... Best Regards ... Ann

SolarArrayThumb.jpg
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __