Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Almost Hit A Deer

I almost hit a big deer on Saturday. I was doing 70 down a highway and didn't see it until it was on the median at full gallop. My buddy, who was behind me. said it came down over a hill and leaped over the two oncoming lanes. It was coming right at me, so I hit my brakes and swerved right to avoid it, but it felt like a heat seeking missile. Luckily there was some grass to my right and no guard rail. As I went into the grass, it came across the front of the trike and missed me by about a foot if that. I was lucky again that the grass was level enough that it didn't dump me as I gained control and came to a stop.

Has anyone else had an experience like this or actually hit a deer? How stable is the Spyder if you hit a deer from the front or get hit from the side? I'm sure that speed comes into play, but I'm interested to know of other member's encounters.
    Michael
    You call it a midlife crisis. I call it all the things I wanted to do!

2010 RT-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that it was "Only", a close call!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Deer

I have not hit one with the Spyder or a bike, but I'm in North Georgia and the deer population is absurd. Where we live, it's 3500 acres and fenced in and you can't legally shoot them and "they ??" estimate 500+ in here. The recommended speed limit is 25 on our private roads, and darn seldom do I go over that. I hit a deer in my car, just outside our entrance, and it dented my hood like I had been going 100, I was way less than 35 when it hit, rolled over, went in the ditch and then got up and ran up the steep bank. Anything over 35, on county roads where we are, is not smart. 7 fatals in 10 years in a 2 mile stretch to GA 140, all due to excessive speed. Plus a young female was speeding around the final curve before the stop sign, couldn't stop, hit two cars waiting for the 40 or so motorcycles going by on 140. 2 biker fatalities and a bunch of injuries. "Be careful out there, deer are not the only problem!" We don't have a huge population of feral HOGS (4 legged ones) in north GA, but someone managed to find one on a local road - dark, big hog, small car - not good.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah..!!

had a ryder hit one dead on at 65 and posted the pic's of the roadster. He fared well the roadster kept him safe but in the end was totalled. Last I heard the insurance was not enough for a new one but he is looking for a replacement...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

No deer here to speak of. I have played DodgeMoose a couple times. So far, Spyder 2, Moose None.

It is never good when you hit an animal--specially deer, moose, bear. They will always win.

I always drive with the possibility of an animal incursion ahead.

Glad to hear you survived the situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    No deer here to speak of. I have played DodgeMoose a couple times. So far, Spyder 2, Moose None.

It is never good when you hit an animal--specially deer, moose, bear. They will always win.

I always drive with the possibility of an animal incursion ahead.

Glad to hear you survived the situation.
    You could probably drive under a moose
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    You could probably drive under a moose
    Depends on the size of the moose and some very precision driving. I am conservative, so think I will pass if the occasion presents itself.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Depends on the size of the moose and some very precision driving. I am conservative, so think I will pass if the occasion presents itself.
    But it would make for a great story I was hiking in Newfoundland and split some brush to an opening and there stood one that was 20ft tall....at least it looked that big to me. I slowly put my self in reverse and ran
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Last I heard the insurance was not enough for a new one...
    Insurance is NEVER enough. Even though the rider was not at fault, a claim is a claim in insurance eyes. Either you get cancelled, or your rates go up. Welcome to the insurance racket.
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeT; 07-08-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    But it would make for a great story I was hiking in Newfoundland and split some brush to an opening and there stood one that was 20ft tall....at least it looked that big to me. I slowly put my self in reverse and ran
    Similar here. Spouse and I encountered a pair on a cross country ski trail (2002 or so). She got behind a big tree, I also backed off. They looked us over and moseyed (or should it be moooseyed) down the trail.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Close but no. I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.

Really though, there was a member on here a few years ago who took a turkey in the face. She was ok, bruised and some scratches. Had a nice turkey for Thanksgiving. There have been more than a few members who have had an up close and personal encounter with nature.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Been there done that...

Hit a deer last June with the Spyder(2012 RT Ltd) Doing 65 mph on the interstate, going under an over -pass, looked right to check for anyone coming down the on ramp. As I was looking left again, a deer was just coming upout of the Median. Just had time to square up the handle bars, hit the brakes and hold on for the ride. (Hubby was passenger, couldn't figure out what I was doing and then looked around me and saw the deer!) Hit the deer straight on, he went up and over us and landed in the ditch about 20 feet off the shoulder. Cracked the 'frunk ' cover in about 3 places, knocked the mirrors loose and scratched the spoiler with it's hooves. We were able to drive it home. We were very lucky!! If we had been on the motorcycle the outcome could have been way worse. The safety and engineering of the Spyder really made the difference plus the good Lord was watching out for us!! We had about $1600.00 damage and our insurance covered it. The most important thing I've been told is to not avoid hitting a deer.

Spyder Garage

SpyFyg-2...are you coming over for Hot Harley Nights?
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

We had planned on it but my brother passed away on Saturday so I will be going to Idaho for the memorial service. Maybe next year.

Spyder Garage

Over the years with the I have had three close calls . I finally added a set of deer whistles to the front of my RT ( I know, I know, many of you will say they don't work), but all I know is that I have not had a "close encounter" since I have put them on! For the $7 - $8 bucks that they cost at WallyWorld, it is a cheap enought investment!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Default Near Miss

Good thing it was a near miss instead of a direct hit. Even a glancing blow with a deer can do damage to both machine & rider. Years ago a friend of mine hit a large dog glancing to the side on his Norton Commando. It broke off his footpeg and he broke his foot even with heavy riding boots on. In more recent years he once rode into a deer on a 1200 Bandit at nearly 100 mph scattering pieces of bike and deer for about 50 yards. He was found unconscious in the ditch by a passing mmotorist. That time he broke a leg. He just died of cancer about a year ago, the man lived & breathed motocycles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyFyg-2 View Post
    We had planned on it but my brother passed away on Saturday so I will be going to Idaho for the memorial service. Maybe next year.
    Sorry to hear about your brother. Safe travels.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black