Spyder Garage

Default Video - install "behind the mirror" turn signals

OK folks... I hate this video myself.
    I started video with good intents but after breaking a mirror and finishing the job a day later, I was just frustrated!

So you get what you get... Sorry... I will try to do better next time.

Finally to be honest... This is not worth the time in my opinion other than the "cool" factor!
    I road the Spyder to work today in bright sun and you just cannot see them worth a sh*t during the day. They are good at night though.

The entire idea was not just for "cool" but so I as the driver could see my turn signals are still on. Well during the day, freakin worthless in my opinion! I notice my dash light more than I notice these during the day.

For the work this takes, again spend your time on something more useful. This in the end was bling I did not need the frustration doing and the pay-off for me was just not worth it.

Only thing I will say.... My Wife says "THOSE ARE AWESOME I LOVE THEM". So if you must go through the pain to make the wife happy, well then it is worth it

Anyway here is the video.

BOb
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

FYI, if you DO break a mirror, this is how to fix it cheap.

I posted this already but figured one day "many moons from now", some might like having an easy way to find it in the same thread here.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Odd that your LEDs behind the mirror are hard to see in the sunlight. Mine are not and are quite visible and the main reason I did these is that the little green led on the dash is so hard to see. I was very pleased with the usefulness as a reminder, no trouble seeing them in the sunlight at all. Wonder what the difference is?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

One difference I see is that other folks glue the leds directly to the glass. If you had bought the Muth kit the leds are already glued to the new glass as well. Could it be the loss of brightness is due to the space between the glass and the leds?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Possibly! I bought the $20 LED set so maybe they are dimmer too.
    I have to replace that one mirror again so I will try gluing it directly to the glass and see if that helps.

Billy, what is the MUTH kit?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Possibly! I bought the $20 LED set so maybe they are dimmer too.
    I have to replace that one mirror again so I will try gluing it directly to the glass and see if that helps.

Billy, what is the MUTH kit?

Bob
    See link http://shop.muthco.com/canam-spyder-signal-mirror

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks but those are different. They are not the sequential style and yes they look a lot brighter!

I may consider those as replacements though.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Thanks but those are different. They are not the sequential style and yes they look a lot brighter!

I may consider those as replacements though.

Bob
    Take them apart and make them sequential. It looks like you enjoy tearing stuff apart
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Bob,
    Thanks so much for the videos. I'm in the process of trying this too.
    Being dumb as mud I didn't research it enough before commiting and using hindsight to beat myself to death with, would probably not do it now. I have already broken one mirror and ordered a replacement pair from Muth at $250 inc p&p. One of the benefits of living in the UK This of course before seeing your cheaper replacement video, again hindsight hinders my every move.
    Did you support the back of the LED in case it pops out?
    I was wondering if vibration might pop it out and whether some supporting plastic strips needed to be glued to the back?
    Regardless, thanks again for the time and effort expended in the videos.
    Regards
    Ghwerrig

PS: Really? I'm that dumb? Don't answer, it's rhetorical. Only just realised that Muth mirros come with LEDs fitted DER!!!!! so these LEDs I have at home will be kind of pointless. Thank goodness I haven't wasted a ****load of money on this mod.....DOH!!!!! SHSSH don't tell the missus
    Last edited by ghwerrig; 07-14-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    I never said I was bright

Spyder Garage

I RTV'ed the light boards into the backplates. They are not going anywhere!

However as I said my LEDs are dim and you can barly see them during the day. So I am going to remove the mirrors again and stick the LED board to the back of the mirrors to see if this helps with brightness. I was so fed up with that job I wanted to take a break for a bit so I have not tried that yet but plan to real soon.

If that doesnt work, I am going to order the Muth mirrors and be done with it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Very cool

Thanks for posting that

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

Bob,
    did you have to remove some of the silver on the back of the glass so you can see the led's?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    Bob,
    did you have to remove some of the silver on the back of the glass so you can see the led's?
    No, automotive mirrors are not fully mirroried e.g. semi-transparent so LEDs will shine through.

But the LEDs I bought were just not bright enough during the day for my liking. I have since ordered Muth mirrors.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

thanks