Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Traded my 2013 RTS SM 5 for a Harley today

I could not get used to the wind buffeting and traded today for a 2011 HD Ultra Limited. Rode the Spyder 3 hours to the dealer. Was blown all over the road. Rode the Harley home in the heat of the day with the wind up. No buffeting. Like it was on a rail. Took a loss on the Syder but had huge grin on my face. Happy now. Will wave at you as I pass you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations..!!

on your new ride..hope it's all your looking for. Enjoy and we will most definately wave back..stick around and tell us how it goes...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I could not get used to the wind buffeting and traded today for a 2011 HD Ultra Limited. Rode the Spyder 3 hours to the dealer. Was blown all over the road. Rode the Harley home in the heat of the day with the wind up. No buffeting. Like it was on a rail. Took a loss on the Syder but had huge grin on my face. Happy now. Will wave at you as I pass you.
    While it is doubtful that you would pass me I would wave anyway. Enjoy, and don.'t forget to put your feet down.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's right ... Don't forget to deploy your feet at stoplights and such now!
    Good luck with your new ride; and
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thats funny because on the way back to Denver from Durango after attending the Spyder Owners event I was in a group of 8 riders 2 being Harleys. It was very windy and it was the Harleys having the trouble. We had to stop and rest so that they could have a brake. One of them said he was having a hard time keeping his bike on the rode. I use to ride the 2 wheelers and loved it too but I had a hard time controlling the bike in the wind. It was one of the main reasons I went with the spyder.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 07-08-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

on your new HD. The is not everyone's cup of tea and most of us respect that.

There are a lot of great rides out there. The important thing is to ride if you can.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=bassman;837997]I could not get used to the wind buffeting/QUOTE]
    I am a potential '14/'15 RTS owner. I'm interested in a more complete explanation of what you mean by wind buffeting. I've ridden 3 different H-D touring bikes(Road King, Ultra Classic, SE RoadGlide). I also rode a GL1800 before having it converted to a trike. Under the wrong conditions, all are subject to wind buffeting. In theory with the electrically adjustable windshield of the RT, it could be raised to decrease the affects of a head wind.
    Trikes are more susceptible to cross winds because of their size. As you know, on a motorcycle you have to lean into the wind to keep the bike going straight down the road.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Mike!
    The "problem" is what you make of it...
    Keep your hands on the bars, tuck your knees in against the tank, and just ride!
    It's real easy to find a problem if you want to!

Spyder Garage

Well my wife Louise traded her 2008 Harley for a Spyder RT-S for the same reason. Wind would effect the Harley far more than the Spyder. She also could not keep up with the Spyder when we rode together.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure I understand this either. I've got a 2013 STS, and it's rock solid in the wind, unlike any 2 wheeler I've had, the last one an 800 lb Harley Softtail. A gust of crosswind that would definitely move the Harley won't touch the Snyder with those 3 wheels on the ground. And that's without a steel grip on the Spyder.

Almost sounds like an alignment issue.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I don't think it about the machine at all but the way it is ridden.

If you ride a Harley like one would ride a Spyder I think you would be off the road in short order because without counter steering it wouldn't stay straight.

If you ride a Spyder like you ride a Harley you will be all over the road because those little corrections needed on a two wheeler will wreak havoc with your ability to keep the Spyder in a straight line.

It's like comparing Apples to Alligators
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nonseven View Post

I was thinking alignment too.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That sure will make them...

...Skittish!

Spyder Garage

I never get buffeted by the wind because I never let an 18 wheeler pass me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was having wind issues on my RTS. The sway bar took care of most of it and the wheel alignment I had done this weekend made the ride perfect. Rode in strong winds today...no issues. Thought I was back on my RS.

Have fun on your new ride.

Spyder Garage

Enjoy the new ride and wave as we pass on the road

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nonseven View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this either. I've got a 2013 STS, and it's rock solid in the wind, unlike any 2 wheeler I've had, the last one an 800 lb Harley Softtail. A gust of crosswind that would definitely move the Harley won't touch the Snyder with those 3 wheels on the ground. And that's without a steel grip on the Spyder.

I had my Spyder laser aligned at Winston Salem Can Am/ Honda at my 600 mile checkup. The tech said he was trained by Lamont. Said my Spyder was right on and did not need any adjustment. I did not have a Sway bar put on because I thought my issue was wind buffeting. I read all of the posts on here. Tucked in knees, had loose grip, put windshield up/ down, etc. Just could not get used to being blown all over the road. Felt like the wind was going to flip the Spyder which I guess is not possible. The Spyder was not for me. I could not keep up with other riders I was with. To each his own. Spyders are neat, attract many questions, and are fun to ride around town. I like to ride away from town. Enjoy riding but ride!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats in the new ride change is good just what your happy with, feet down replacing metal side panels and bags are just as expensive if not more for the Harley

Good to hear you won't do the no wave to the spyder riders [emoji4]

Spyder Garage

A properly set up Spyder is always going to be much more stable in the wind than 2 wheels. It's just a matter of physics.

Of course the rider will get the same amount of abuse from the wind on either machine. But on 2 wheels you MUST lean into the wind the exact amount necessary to counter the side force. Whereas the Spyder doesn't need to do much, if anything, depending on the amount of force.

The problem with the Spyder is that any body movement can be transmitted to the handlebars if your grip is too tight. This will then make the Spyder drift or dart. But it isn't the wind buffeting, it is the rider's input. Many try to stiff arm the Spyder in the wind thinking it will stabilize both the rider and the machine. But just the opposite occurs with this approach. Instead, relax the arms and the grip and you'll find your Spyder will settle down nicely.

You can add to this improper tire pressures and wheel alignment as additional possible causes. But the primary cause is almost always the rider. It simply takes a different riding style to handle 3 wheels. It's actually much easier than riding 2 wheels, but you have to unlearn your 2 wheel habits.

Hope you like the Harley.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy and ride safe. Keep in touch.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Congrats!!! Having had all kinds of motorcycles the buffeting, especially with tractor trailers, was worse on every two wheeler I've had, including an 07 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, when compared to the Spyder.

The bottom line is you being happy, and the Ultra is a fine machine.

Did close to 300 miles yesterday with thunderstorms and 35 mph gusts and it was solid as a rock, I was kicked back with one hand on the bar cruise set at 70something and watching the cages and trucks get blown around . My front tires are set with a dual air fill so matched pressure, a bajaron bar with his links.

Spyder Garage

Red face Wind is wind

I had my Spyder laser aligned at Winston Salem Can Am/ Honda at my 600 mile checkup. The tech said he was trained by Lamont. Said my Spyder was right on and did not need any adjustment. I did not have a Sway bar put on because I thought my issue was wind buffeting. I read all of the posts on here. Tucked in knees, had loose grip, put windshield up/ down, etc. Just could not get used to being blown all over the road. Felt like the wind was going to flip the Spyder which I guess is not possible. The Spyder was not for me. I could not keep up with other riders I was with. To each his own. Spyders are neat, attract many questions, and are fun to ride around town. I like to ride away from town. Enjoy riding but ride!
    2 wheelers, SPyder, Hondas, Harleys all feel the wind to different extents. I remember my XS750 Yamaha leaning into a stiff crosswind as the worst. You appreciate the days with a tail wind, endure a headwind and deal with the crosswinds. The heavier bikes like my Road King hold their line pretty well but of course you learn to lean and countersteer. The front passenger seat feels pretty good on the wife's RT, but it can be a B---- on the back with a strong crosswind. We have enjoyed the 50,000 miles on the RT through many relatively trouble free miles and I enjoy the days/turns I get to pilot. I enjoy the fuel economy of the Road King and especially the 6th gear on the interstate.

In a couple of years when we both retire, we'll probably tour on a new Spyder with the new engine/trans and get rid of the old ones. This weekend the Road King will set in the "barn" while we two-up and hit about three states, just because its more convenient that way. I enjoy wrenching on them but like most Enjoy the Ride!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on the Harley and hope you have many happy miles on it. I can almost spit on the highway from my front porch so I see a lot of traffic come by and I'll say that I see Harleys coming by on days when the wind is so bad that I don't see many other bikes at all. There are always more Harleys on the road than anything else but, still, on really windy days they seem to be doing just fine. But then, my spyder does just fine, too.

When I picked up my brand new 2010 RT and started home I thought I had made a terrible mistake. There was about a 15 mph crosswind when I hit the highway and I couldn't keep it in my lane. It was all over the road. A bike that can't be ridden in the wind is useless in west Texas. I tried to be loose on the bars like I read about on Spyderlovers. But knowing something and making your muscles react to what your brain knows are two different things. I don't mind admitting that it took me awhile to overcome years of 2 wheel experience and adjust to the Spyder. When I finally "got it", the Spyder went from being the worst thing I'd ever rode in the wind to being the best. Now, I can swap back and forth between my Spyder and my 650 BMW with no problem. They are both just fine in the wind. They are just ridden differently.

Cotton