Spyder Garage

Default F1 slider screen

Background... I'm 6'4" tall and have been looking for a quieter Spyder ride. I removed the Hindle and went back to the stock exhaust. I need a taller windshield to get the wind off me and reduced the wind noise when riding at highway speeds. I have the EVO II from Marcel and its great for getting the wind off me and decreasing the wind noise a whole bunch but I don't like the looks of it so I have been swapping windshields from BRP stock to EVO II whenever I take extended trips. The last time I put the EVO II on the Spyder, two of the screw holes cracked. I was still going to use it for the Gatlinburg trip but I figured that would be its last hurrah and I was going to have to replace it with another EVO II or try some other manufacturers shield. Marcel offered to let me try a slider screen for my trip to Gatlinburg.

I got the slider screen Thursday afternoon and I took it for a 10 mile test ride. I liked the looks of the windshield at the fully lowered height. Unfortunately, that height diverted the wind to shoulder level and caused an increase in noise at 45 mph. As I adjusted the slide screen up, the noise decreased and the wind was moving higher and higher on my helmet. Just as it was almost to the point of getting the wind completely diverted over my helmet, the slide screen hit the upper stop. That had the wind hitting the very top of my helmet and causing some undesirable noise at 70 mph. No head buffeting, just noise.

I called Marcel Friday morning and told him I would be returning the slider as it wasn't working for me and I would just use my EVO II for the trip. He became determined to get a slide screen that would work for me. He made me another slide screen with a taller stationary screen. I got the new, improved, tall person, slide screen this morning. It fit great. I took it for a short, 10 mile test ride and it works better than the standard slider. About an hour later, I had to go to a mall about 1/2 hour from me so the new slider got a good workout. I put another 100 miles on it and I am happy with it. I think its going to work great for my long trip to Gatlinburg starting Monday morning. Plus, the fully lowered height is good looking so I won't have to swap out shields for around town riding. Here are a few pics.

Fully lowered

1/2 raised

Fully raised
    Last edited by bjt; 09-20-2008 at 08:30 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the looks. Congrats on finding a shield that works for you, not easy for many of us.

Spyder Garage

I'm 6'2" and still using the stock sport windshield... w/earplugs I bought from Sam Ash Music store for $9. Very peaceful ride!

Please post again after the Gatlinburg trip. Curious as to how it works for you.
    Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Spyder Garage

Paint that shield blue and you could name your Spyder MARGE!

Actually looks pretty good when in the down position - but man o man in the tall position that thing is loooooooong.

I switch between my BRP touring and CalSci depending on what type of riding I'm doing. Will make a quick-change system this winter to make the swap quick and easy without chance of stripping those holes!