Spyder Garage

Default Brake fluid question

This may be a stupid question but I need to add some brake fluid and I bought the Prestone and it says it is synthetic. Is this OK to use to add to the existing fluid or should I go get the BRP brand?

Thanks
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Spyder Garage

Default No..!!

don't add synthetic fluid. You can only use synthetic if you drain, flush and replace seals in the whole system. You can use Dot 3 or 4 but not 5/synthetic...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Spyders needs DOT 4 brake fluid.
    Silver RT Limited SE5 2013

BAJARON Anti-Sway Bar, BAJARON Heim Joints, SPYDERPOPS Bumpskid, SMOOTHSPYDER Belt Tensioner, SENA SM10 Dongle, CORBIN Passenger Armrest w. cupholder, UTOPIA Driver Backrest, SPYDERFLAP Mud Flap, STEBEL Nautilus Air Horn, TRICLED Rear Top LED Bar, TRICLED, 3rd & 4th Brake LED, TRICLED Mirror Turn Signal, TRICLED Tricfenderz LED Strip, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Front Mud Flap LED, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Amber Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Red Brightsides, CUSTOM DYNAMICS Fender Tips ...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Dot 3, 4, and 5.1 are all glycol based, and can be mixed. Your Spyder uses dot 4, so using dot 3 would be a downgrade in the boiling point, and isn't a good idea. Fluids marked "dot3/dot4" are acceptable. Just don't use dot 5, which is silicone based, extra bad idea.
    Regarding "synthetic"--glycol based (3, 4, and 5.1) are all synthetic. It's just a marketing gimmick to make people think it's better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msj4848 View Post
    Dot 3, 4, and 5.1 are all glycol based, and can be mixed. Your Spyder uses dot 4, so using dot 3 would be a downgrade in the boiling point, and isn't a good idea. Fluids marked "dot3/dot4" are acceptable. Just don't use dot 5, which is silicone based, extra bad idea.
    Regarding "synthetic"--glycol based (3, 4, and 5.1) are all synthetic. It's just a marketing gimmick to make people think it's better.
    Thanks for all these technical info.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    don't add synthetic fluid. You can only use synthetic if you drain, flush and replace seals in the whole system. You can use Dot 3 or 4 but not 5/synthetic...
    Sorry, but that's not correct, that's the old stuff. The newest formulas can be freely mixed together without a problem. The only difference between DOT3 and 4 is the static boiling point, with the DOT4 being the higher boiling point. MSJ's summary is right on the money, however, I might take issue with the marketing gimmick comment, but otherwise well put.
    Last edited by KX5062; 07-05-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

All of this got me thinking/wondering about brake fluid, since I'm not really up to speed on it, just shade tree knowledge. So, I started reading. The market gimmick comment by msj4848 was right on the money.

Apparently, there is no difference between regular brake fluid and so-called synthetic brake fluids, except for cost. DOT3,4, and 5.1 are all gycol based formulas. (DOT5 is silicon based and not compatable.) There were some unsubstantiated claims that DOT3 fluid handle water absorption better than DOT4 fluid, but I didn't find any science to back up those claims.

From my reading it seems the 2 best/most highly regarded brake fluids are "ATE Type 200 #706202" DOT4 rated and Castrol LMA. Motul is well thought of as well, but appears to absorb moisture quickly and needs to be replaced annually.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    MSJ's summary is right on the money, however, I might take issue with the marketing gimmick comment, but otherwise well put.
    The fact that dot3, 4, and 5.1 fluids are all glycol based translates into the fact that they are all synthetic fluids. So when a manufacturer "takes advantage" of that fact and plasters a big bold "SYNTHETIC" label on their product to justify a higher price or to make you think it's better than a bottle next to it that isn't labeled so, kinda sounds like a gimmick to me, imho.