Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Front end noise I can't figure out

2012 RTS SM5

Noise coming from the front left side, usually when the wheel is turned and just starting to move through to second gear.

Like a high pitched metal chirping sound. Reminds me of a brake pad wear indicator on a automobile.

Never happens in a straight line.

Don't hear it at speeds over 50 KMH or about 25 mph.

Doesn't make sound when revving at a stand still.

Gets hearing in pitch until it almost sound like a screech and then goes away.

Any have this happen to them? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

if you can lift the front end and spin the wheels to see if you can hear it. Check the front bearings, hold tire opposite sides and move forward and back then left to right. Check brake pads. Pull the wheels and inspect..good starting point..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    if you can lift the front end and spin the wheels to see if you can hear it. Check the front bearings, hold tire opposite sides and move forward and back then left to right. Check brake pads. Pull the wheels and inspect..good starting point..
    After doing the checks above, make sure you are not really hearing a belt noise. When it happened to me, I put out a similar post about a rotational noise coming from the front wheel at certain speeds. When I focused more on the noise, I found out the noise was really emanating from the drive belt. I cleaned a tar glob with a pebble embedded in it from the driven sprocket, adjusted the belt tension and the noise is gone. ...Don

Spyder Garage

Default Similar sound on mine

I've got a similar thing on the right front (I think, but too many concerts in the '70's to tell for sure ). I posted a thread about it a while back, but got no definitive responses, accept have the dealer check...
    It kinda sounds like someone burning rubber (squealing their tires) in the distance. That is to say, it's not really loud and mine is from start to 25mph, not necessarily just on turns . I may just not hear it when at speed because of wind noise....
    I haven't taken the opportunity to have the dealer check it out, but it's been there a long time....
    '12 RTL
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It can be many things to include the front bearings on the motor. The are located on the front left side.

Do not know anything about what your ride is or miles and etc... but be sure to include an inspection of those bearings -- just to be sure. There are reports of a few engines having problems there.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

I think it is brake pads noise i hear on mine at slow speeds

Spyder Garage

Default What did I say?

I said right, but I mis-spoke.... it's on the left side. I'll try the suggestions above as well.....
    Thanks y'all~
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover