Spyder Garage

Default RT-622 Trailer Key Barrel Replacement

Has anyone changed locks on the RT-622 trailer? I purchased the trailer from another individual. I want to install my own barrel lock which is keyed to my Spyder.
    the dealer wants $80.00 per hour. I'm trying to save a little cheddar by doing myself.

v/r
    Biggdogg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Biggdogg22 View Post
    Has anyone changed locks on the RT-622 trailer? I purchased the trailer from another individual. I want to install my own barrel lock which is keyed to my Spyder.
    the dealer wants $80.00 per hour. I'm trying to save a little cheddar by doing myself.

v/r
    Biggdogg

Prior experience from many quarters says pay the $80. it is very easy to screw this up.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

You have to pretty much take the plastic covers out of the trailer to change it out. It took ~20 minutes to do. I had a locksmith do mine because he had the tumbler pin tool although a very small screwdriver could probably be used.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

If you have the key to the trailer, it will be easy, if not...not so much. We did the same, but did not get a key with it. I did manage to get the old tumbler out with a little finesse and our 2 RT keys.

Basically you have to strip the inside back of the trailer. Theres is a metal plate (the smaller plate)over the back of the lock that also holds a small ball bearing and spring. Pay attention to those and you will be fine. A little grease will help hold them on reassembly and also lube them. There is a tab on the back of the cylinder that needs to be pushed in to allow the cylinder to slide out. It slides out to the outside of the trailer and you need to put the key in to compress the locking mechanism and to will slide right out.

Put the new cylinder in with the new key until the tab locks in, reassemble the trailers innards and you are all set.

I might have some pictures around here that I may post later...on my phone currently.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

If you have the 2010 Service Manual, the section on the trailer maintenance explains on how to replace the barrel.
    Took me 45 minutes.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

v/r
    Biggdogg
    Take lock and latch assembly out of trailer and take to lock smith. Just had mine done, took locksmith about 20 minutes to remove old lock and install new one.Dealer quoted &150.00 with no guarantee, they drill the lock out. Locksmith charged $10.60!

Spyder Garage

As said, it is very easy, it took me about 15 minutes. Remove the 2 inner plastic panels, remove the lock assembly including the release handles. Remove the two cables and lift out. Look closely and you will see a small pin that locks the barrel in. Push it in then push the barrel out.

Spyder Garage

If you have a 14 bike (couldn't tell by your profile pic) check and see if you have the key recall/SB with your dealer. It comes with all new ignition and 2 new and different keys for your bike and a tumbler for your trailer. It should be covered to replace that tumbler in the trailer under the recall/SB. At least they did mine at my dealer.

Spyder Garage

v/r
    Biggdogg
    Spyder's, thanks to everyone's help. I was able to switch out the key barrel. took only 30 minutes. Great advice from the ones who did it before.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Spyder's, thanks to everyone's help. I was able to switch out the key barrel. took only 30 minutes. Great advice from the ones who did it before.

Thanks
    Did you have the key to the original barrel that was in the trailer? I need to change my barrel and I don't have the original key. I forgot to remove the barrel prior to trading my 2011 (which was keyed for the trailer) for my 2014.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

If you don't have the old key, I would recommend stripping it down and then towing it a locksmith if you have one local. There are 6 tumblers that all have to be retracted to allow it to slide out. Without out the key or a locksmith tool, it is extremely difficult. Not impossible, but difficult. The tumblers in the pic all have to be flush to the cylinder. Between our 2 Spyder keys I was able to finesse ours out so I could put in the new one.

Key1.jpgKey2.jpg
    Last edited by jwulf74; 07-01-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added pics
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    Did you have the key to the original barrel that was in the trailer? I need to change my barrel and I don't have the original key. I forgot to remove the barrel prior to trading my 2011 (which was keyed for the trailer) for my 2014.
    Sorry, I did have the old key.

Spyder Garage

Good job!...Easy Pesy, lol

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Where did you get the replacement barrel?

Did you order the replacement barrel from a dealer?
    What is the part number?
    I ordered a barrel and received Part # 219 400 180
    A local locksmith said he cannot key it to my Spyder because my Spyder key won't fit in the tumbler.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bringing this back up. I picked up a new 2013 622 trailer. Not 100% sure I will be keeping it yet. It is unlocked and usable, but if I should want to replace the tumbler, what should I do? I have a new one that I am guessing that I can install, but hadn't tried my key in it yet As of now, I am not taking any trips that would leave the trailer outside, so I will not need to change the lock. If I should decide to sell, will the next person need to go through this process of changing the tumbler again?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

unless you make a key and it goes with it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    unless you make a key and it goes with it
    But if I make a key, I would want it to match my spyder key. I would not want to give a copy of my spyder key to anyone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you dont have to tell them that plus its not chipped

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    But if I make a key, I would want it to match my spyder key. I would not want to give a copy of my spyder key to anyone.
    FYI I was able to take care & both keys to locksmith that was able to change pins to match as wanted. Fooling with the mechanism was lil troublesome for back bending over & attempting learn as go process. https://youtube.com/watch?v=df6GC6db...0iS-RDqXxgXWjt Lois so ez when OUT of trailer *lights & magnets are your friends. At least no VOID like spyder but still can find ways in crazy spots.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

This.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Bringing this back up. I picked up a new 2013 622 trailer. Not 100% sure I will be keeping it yet. It is unlocked and usable, but if I should want to replace the tumbler, what should I do? I have a new one that I am guessing that I can install, but hadn't tried my key in it yet As of now, I am not taking any trips that would leave the trailer outside, so I will not need to change the lock. If I should decide to sell, will the next person need to go through this process of changing the tumbler again?
    If your current key fits in your tumbler (not turn it, just fits in it) you can have that tumbler rekeyed to your ignition key. Removing the tumbler takes a little time but it can be done, even without a current key. The easiest way I have found to remove the tumbler is to: Remove the two black plastic pieces in the inside at the rear of your trailer. Next, remove the locking mechanism from the trailer (I think it's four screws holding it in place). Then, take that locking mechanism to your workbench or kitchen table to work on. The rest is a little too complicated to tell you on here. I have changed the tumbler at least five or six times, maybe more, both with and without a key. If you're thinking of changing it, call me and I'll walk you through it. I'll send you a PM with my phone number.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    If your current key fits in your tumbler (not turn it, just fits in it) you can have that tumbler rekeyed to your ignition key. Removing the tumbler takes a little time but it can be done, even without a current key. The easiest way I have found to remove the tumbler is to: Remove the two black plastic pieces in the inside at the rear of your trailer. Next, remove the locking mechanism from the trailer (I think it's four screws holding it in place). Then, take that locking mechanism to your workbench or kitchen table to work on. The rest is a little too complicated to tell you on here. I have changed the tumbler at least five or six times, maybe more, both with and without a key. If you're thinking of changing it, call me and I'll walk you through it. I'll send you a PM with my phone number.
    Thanks so much. Got your pm. I might be able to get to it this weekend. I will shoot you a text before I begin to check to see if you are available.