The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Default Checking the coolant on a brand new Spyder

How in the heck can you tell if your coolant is at the right level? I read the operators manual and I accessed the coolant reservoir but it sure seems like the coolant is either really low or it is the same color as the coolant tank. Maybe the dealerships send them out low? Looks like a funnel with a flexible spout would be a good idea for adding coolant too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry to blow this forum up with newbie questions but I really appreciate everyone's help.

Spyder Garage

Flex spout definetly ! On a previous post , someone mentioned to shine light from bottom to se level. Good luck ! I haven't been able to check it , I just add (:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

See if you can get a small light in from behind, and backlight the darned thing... THAT'll show you the levels!
    Make sure that you get the cap back on correctly; the SECOND detent; not the first!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Someone here posted a photo of a very short section of flex LED strip that you can lower into that cavity and backlight the reservoir.

Spyder Garage

I use a small Maglight flashlight. The size that only uses 2 AA batteries. I shine it up against the container and it kinda glows the plastic to see the level. As far a topping it off use the cheap skinny flexible funnel from walmart
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Eyeball it..!!

I found that if I just pull down on the handlebars I can get the fluid to sway back and forth and judge from there. Agree with Bob if you do add make sure to get the cap to the second detent or your level will drop for sure...on the floor..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterparker View Post
    How in the heck can you tell if your coolant is at the right level? I read the operators manual and I accessed the coolant reservoir but it sure seems like the coolant is either really low or it is the same color as the coolant tank. Maybe the dealerships send them out low? Looks like a funnel with a flexible spout would be a good idea for adding coolant too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry to blow this forum up with newbie questions but I really appreciate everyone's help.
    As others have mentioned if you are adding coolant you must use a funnel with a flexible hose. As to checking the coolant level, again, as others have said - use a flashlight. I have found the easiest and quickest way to check coolant level is to turn wheels full left, look up and into wheel well and you will see the bottom half of the coolant reservoir. Put the flashlight underneath it and if you're not sure - rock the Spyder using the right handlebar. Sure beats opening the frunk and taking off the small panel.

The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    As others have mentioned if you are adding coolant you must use a funnel with a flexible hose. As to checking the coolant level, again, as others have said - use a flashlight. I have found the easiest and quickest way to check coolant level is to turn wheels full left, look up and into wheel well and you will see the bottom half of the coolant reservoir. Put the flashlight underneath it and if you're not sure - rock the Spyder using the right handlebar. Sure beats opening the frunk and taking off the small panel.
    I'm trying this as soon as I get home. I tried all of the other suggestions and still can't really tell. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    I just went and tried your suggestion because the way I've done it the past 5 1/2 years takes some time. You must have an RT; it doesn't work on a GS.

To the OP- I've always maintained my coolant level to the MIN COLD line.

Spyder Garage

Default Transfer pump

With this pump it is very easy to transfer coolant.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html
    This message was sent between rides

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use a very small led light that goes on a key ring and open the reservoir and insert the light right into the reservoir and it shows up the level of coolant very well.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I just went and tried your suggestion because the way I've done it the past 5 1/2 years takes some time. You must have an RT; it doesn't work on a GS.

To the OP- I've always maintained my coolant level to the MIN COLD line.
    Yeah, I've got an RT.